The freedom to move: how Bangkok is improving its sidewalks

webfact

49 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, not to mention motorbikes everywhere racing on the sidewalks, running one over if one doesn't jump to the side...

Sidewalk: what they call a 'pavement' in Britain, and a 'highway' in Thailand...

or we could call it dirt(y) road  555

On the 100m walk from my Asoke hotel to Benjakiti Park for my daily walk when I'm in BKK there's a lamppost in a narrow part of the footpath with a large (6"+) bolt sticking out of it, pointing in towards pedestrians and exactly at adult eye height.

I first noticed it when we were living in BKK in 2013. I wondered then how long it would be till it was fixed.

It was still there last April.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Complaining the endlessly broken and unprepared sidewalks of Bangkok and hoping for a change?    Like a Monty Python sketch:  " Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh."          Add to that no trash cans to be found on the streets..  Although just of late someone has been, accidentally I'm sure, leaving a few here and there.

• Haha 1

Those small tiles are the worst. Ankles twisting in opposite directions at every step. I don't know what is the solution as every now and then a different vendor supplies new tiles and they are wobbly within weeks.

5 hours ago, Shop mak said:

TikTok has 100's of videos posted last 30 days from Bangkok, removing anything on the sidewalks.

Also removed all kinds of items that block free parking on the street (put there by shop owners)

I remember 20 yrs ago they did the same in Pattaya.A week later all the stuff on the pavement was back😆

I find Bangkok pavements and crossing a road in Bangkok much better /safer than in Pattaya or Phuket for example. The main tourist beach road with the 5* Boathouse Hotel and access to beach and all the restaurants has no pavements at all ! Racing traffic , You take your life in your hands there, and imagine tourists with a stroller or wheelchair, impossible.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I dunno where you hide yourself but everywhere I go in Bangkok since last year I see renovation and new tiles being installed on major sidewalks. I was actually quite surprised and impressed. So, yes the sidewalks are bad in places, but the work is being done. Is that not good enough?

i'm sure that work is holding up quite well too. or odds are it is probably dilapidated already. i could probably post dozens of pics of thai workmanship for you. 

• Thanks 1