Failure to file Annual Tax return = 200% penalty? (180 days)

16 minutes ago, TPDH said:

Is it true that if you fail to file your annual tax return, you'll have to pay a penalty of 2 times the tax you owe? For example, if you owe $30K in tax but you didn't file your annual tax return, you'll get $60K in penalties?

Yes, your maths is perfectly correct. But does it mean you pay the 30k PLUS the 2 x penalty?

Edited by KannikaP

42 minutes ago, TPDH said:

With the new 180 days rules starting in 2 months I started reading more about tax filings here in Thailand. Is it true that if you fail to file your annual tax return, you'll have to pay a penalty of 2 times the tax you owe? For example, if you owe $30K in tax but you didn't file your annual tax return, you'll get $60K in penalties? 2x seems absurdly high. I would have imagined a penalty of a few % per month or year of tax owed, not an immediate and instant penalty of 200% without a cap. 

Section 89/1

Any person fails to pay or remit tax within the time prescribed in this Chapter shall be liable to surcharge on 1.5 percent of payable or remittable tax excluding fine per month or fraction thereof;

44 minutes ago, TPDH said:

For example, if you owe $30K in tax but you didn't file your annual tax return, you'll get $60K in penalties? 2x seems absurdly high.

In my country (Italy) if you fail to file the annual return the penalty to pay is from 120% to 240% of the amount of payable taxes.

If somebody fails completely to file and to pay his taxes, it does not seem to be an absurd penalty.......

Taxpayer have 3 months 1/1 - 31/3 to file the tax return,  if implemented for foreigners. Should be more than enough time.

Dual Tax Agreement will be respected, if ever implemented from 1/1/2024.

My local Revenue office have still not received any final directives.

Relax.

3 hours ago, TPDH said:

If this is true, with the new rules starting soon, this could mean bankruptcy for thousands of foreigners. 

Yeah, possibly! But, it´s actually just to remember to file the tax return. Can´t be that hard, can it?

4 hours ago, TPDH said:

With the new 180 days rules starting in 2 months

The 180 days rule is not new. So theoretically anybody living here for more than 180 days should arguably be filing anyway............but of course most don't......:whistling:

2 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Taxpayer have 3 months 1/1 - 31/3 to file the tax return,  if implemented for foreigners. Should be more than enough time.

Regarding the potential change removing the loophole about previous years income you will not be filing specifically for that until 2025..........

• Like 2

14 hours ago, treetops said:

Most foreigners are not taxpayers and it's not clear if the new law will affect them, despite the amount of discussion going on about it.

If I am not mistaken.. The new tax laws only apply to those foreigners who generate income in another country and transfer it to Thailand. Those who get retirement benefits as their source of income will not be required to pay tax.. Those who paid tax already in their country where the income was earned can not be charged 2 times so will not have to pay tax also. So most foreigners who have retired to Thailand will not need to worry about paying this tax. This was my understanding of it when I read the new laws. 

Someone is welcome to correct me if i am mistaken

3 minutes ago, thesetat said:

If I am not mistaken.. The new tax laws only apply to those foreigners who generate income in another country and transfer it to Thailand. Those who get retirement benefits as their source of income will not be required to pay tax.. Those who paid tax already in their country where the income was earned can not be charged 2 times so will not have to pay tax also. So most foreigners who have retired to Thailand will not need to worry about paying this tax. This was my understanding of it when I read the new laws. 

Are there new tax laws?

17 minutes ago, thesetat said:

If I am not mistaken..

Yes and no.

17 minutes ago, thesetat said:

All depends on the final interpretation. If you haven't seen it knock yourself out with this thread to see a multitude of different takes.....

https://aseannow.com/topic/1306896-thai-government-to-tax-all-income-from-abroad-for-tax-residents-starting-2024/

22 minutes ago, thesetat said:

The question then is: Will we nevertheless still have to file a return?

Just now, mfd101 said:

The question then is: Will we nevertheless still have to file a return?

If you have income of over THB 120k per year in Thailand, including imported income that is assessable to tax in Thailand and, you were resident here for more than 180 days in the tax year, yes.

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

If you have income of over THB 120k per year in Thailand, including imported income that is assessable to tax in Thailand and, you were resident here for more than 180 days in the tax year, yes.

Oh dear. I better get used to the idea then.

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

It's a simple enough process, albeit we don't know yet what issues the new rules might bring.

If simple superannuants/pensioners are going to have to lodge a return (and 120K per year is absurdly small), I guess the Thai tax/revenue department is going to be overwhelmed with work requiring English-language skills (amongst others).

Net outcome: Swollen bureaucracy even more swollen. No benefit to the nation (except for lower middle class employment opportunities).

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

If simple superannuants/pensioners are going to have to lodge a return (and 120K per year is absurdly small), I guess the Thai tax/revenue department is going to be overwhelmed with work requiring English-language skills (amongst others).

Net outcome: Swollen bureaucracy even more swollen. No benefit to the nation (except for lower middle class employment opportunities).

It's all online, you can do it from home once registered. In a worst case scenario, we're all obliged to file a return, that doesn't mean the RD will do anything with them. But if the tax filer completes a return that shows they owe money and offers to pay, great. Or if the banks records throw up dubious imported income that wasn't declared, maybe they'll have a peek. There's lots of possible scenarios.