Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Low carb bread

rudi49jr

I ditched all simple carbs including white bread about 3 months ago.

Best decsion I ever made.

I have lost close to 10kg and have much clearer mental acuity.

I miss having avocados on toast, but now I just buy those tapioca based prawn chips and fry them up in cold pressed coconut oil to eat with caucomoli.  Turns out it was not the toast I missed so much as the crunchy texture.

Tapioca is still a carb but it is not a grain and also not properly classed as a simple carb.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Low carb and wheat don't work together. I think you mean almond meal bread or something similar. Unfortunately, you need to make your own. I recommend it. 

Maybe I should clarify my post. Where I live (in Holland) I can buy very good whole wheat bread with about 50% less carbs than ‘normal’ whole wheat bread. It’s also higher in fibres and protein. 
I will be coming back to Hua Hin for a while in January, though, hence my question.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Maybe I should clarify my post. Where I live (in Holland) I can buy very good whole wheat bread with about 50% less carbs than ‘normal’ whole wheat bread. It’s also higher in fibres and protein. 
I will be coming back to Hua Hin for a while in January, though, hence my question.

Carbs is one issue.

But whole wheat has other things that harm health besides carbs, as far as I know.

For instance, it may inhibit absorbtion of nutrients, it may be GMO. 

But you may find mixed opinions and some nutritionists actually saying it's healthy.

Maybe flip a coin to decide. 

Edited by save the frogs

13 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I miss having avocados on toast, but now I just buy those tapioca based prawn chips and fry them up in cold pressed coconut oil to eat with caucomoli.  Turns out it was not the toast I missed so much as the crunchy texture.

Tapioca is still a carb but it is not a grain and also not properly classed as a simple carb.

Yes 100% correct, I cut bread from my diet about the same time as you (I could eat 4 slices with my bacon and egg) and also lost 10kgs, feel much better now and doing much more exercise. Started eating overnight oats for breckie with some fruit added, quite tasty. 

It's the starch Rudi.

Freeze bread then maybe even toast it.

Doing thus changes the molecular structure of the carbs/starch so it isn't absorbed as easily into your bod.

Fewer calories absorbed.

No blood sugar crash.

Trust the science!

• Thanks 1

LIGHT BREAD (450G)

Ingredients: water, whole wheat flour, pea hull fibre, wheat gluten, glucose-fructose, yeast, salt,  vegetable oil (canola and/or soya), diacetyl tartaric esters of mono and diglycerides, calcium propionate, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, vinegar, calcium sulphate, amylase, pentosanase, ascorbic acid.

May contain: soya flour, cornmeal, sesame seeds

well.......    at least the water and the salt are ok

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Tapioca is carb and it matters not whether the carb is from grain or anything else. In fact it is worse than grain because it is a simple carb. The more simple molecule the quicker it raises blood sugar as it is absorbed quicker. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Thailand is not know as being a "bread country" don't expect the shelves to be stocked with hundreds of special choices.

33 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand is not know as being a "bread country" don't expect the shelves to be stocked with hundreds of special choices.

Thanks. But I’m no stranger to Thailand, have lived there on and off quite a few times, so I know a little bit what to expect. Just haven’t been back for a few years and was wondering if this kind of bread is available. If not, I will have to make do with ‘ordinary’ whole wheat or whole grain bread. There are a few good bakeries in Hua Hin, I know that much.

21 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Guess by now, you know whole wheat & low carb is a bit of an contradiction.   Whatever you had in Holland (50%) was misrepresented as 'whole wheat', more like something else, w/whole wheat.  Calling it whole wheat just raises the price.

I'm in the 'wheat bread is fine for you' crowd, though personally don't make whole wheat that often.  Along with no sugar in mine, so it's more on the complex carb side of things.

Hua Hin Bread

Lazada has a big range of breads. I buy an almond flour based one. It's pricey, and tastes a bit weird, but that's keto for you, in a nutshell, some of which are also keto. It seems to last forever in the fridge. Wheat is wheat. 50% lower carb content? I wonder how they manage that.

Unless you can find an artisan bakery where you live (we have a couple in Chiang Mai), bake your own. It's fun and then you know what you put in your stomach.

The plastic wrapped excuse for bread you find in the supermarket is poison.  I once bought one of those and left it on the kitchen counter. It still looked like new after 3 weeks. Now what kind of chemicals makes that possible?

• Like 1

try this place

Sourdough HuaHin (TryMePlz)

4.9(9)
Bakery

Overview

Reviews

About

Directions

Save

Nearby

Send to phone

·
ic_done_18px.png
Kerbside pickup
·
ic_done_18px.png
No-contact delivery

place_gm_blue_24dp.png
Thap Tai, Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110

Copy address

schedule_gm_blue_24dp.png
Closed ⋅ Opens 9 AM Fri

See more hours

Open menu link

Copy menu link

Open website
GW8J+4X Thap Tai, Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan

Copy plus code

4 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Tapioca is carb and it matters not whether the carb is from grain or anything else. In fact it is worse than grain because it is a simple carb. The more simple molecule the quicker it raises blood sugar as it is absorbed quicker. 

Yes.  But tapioca is not a grain.  And I have prostate problems.  That is the main reason for ditching bread.  But why I was at it I ditched sugar, white rice, cakes and pastries, batter et al while I was at it.

12 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Yes 100% correct, I cut bread from my diet about the same time as you (I could eat 4 slices with my bacon and egg) and also lost 10kgs, feel much better now and doing much more exercise. Started eating overnight oats for breckie with some fruit added, quite tasty. 

I eat probiotic yogurt that I make myself and whatever fruits I pick up at the fresh market.  I eat way too many mangoes, but if it is death by mango, there are much worse ways to go.

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2023 at 5:15 PM, rudi49jr said:

If the bread you buy in Holland is 50% less carbs, IMO it would be 50% more protein and fibre, no?

There are potatoes in Australia sold as 25% less carbs. I don't know how that is done, possibly a GMO.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If the bread you buy in Holland is 50% less carbs, IMO it would be 50% more protein and fibre, no?

There are potatoes in Australia sold as 25% less carbs. I don't know how that is done, possibly a GMO.

I hadn’t thought of that before, but you make a good point. From what I can see, the 50% less carbs comes from more protein, fibre and (unsaturated) fat. 
I have no interest in any kind of keto diet or whatever. Just found out a few years ago, quite by accident, that this low(er) carb bread is better for my digestion.

3 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I hadn’t thought of that before, but you make a good point. From what I can see, the 50% less carbs comes from more protein, fibre and (unsaturated) fat. 
I have no interest in any kind of keto diet or whatever. Just found out a few years ago, quite by accident, that this low(er) carb bread is better for my digestion.

IMO lower carbs in anything is better for digestion.

It would be interesting to see how many Thais consuming sticky rice are subject to constipation.

OTOH, I have no problems because my main carbs come from long beans, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.

10 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

why would you want low carb bread? It's not the carbs that are the issue it's the starch in the bread. Having said that the latest research has shown that it's ok to eat bread, potatoes and rice provided you do the following. With the rice & spuds cook them first and then refrigerate for 24 hours. With bread, put straight in the freezer for 24 hours. Reheating the spuds & rice, or toasting the bread changes the starch to a healthy type of starch that burns fat instead of being stored as fat in it's original state.

I'm afraid I can only partially agree with you.