Can you defend yourself?

georgegeorgia

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And carry a bar a soap in your back pocket. When they demand your wallet, take the soap out of your back pocket (like it's a wallet) and holler: I left my wallet in the room with your mother, but I have this mother-trucker and rub it in their eyes! 

I often use this tactic. I then find the nearest water source, froth up some suds, throw them on the floor and they are on their arse in no time. Then beat a hasty retreat after robbing them of all their worldly belongings. It works for me. 👍

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Avoid eye contact with the unruly.

You will almost never need then to defend yourself.

Keep them of course under your watch from the corner of the eye.

If on the street, use the windows of shops to keep an eye if you feel they are to close. 

Make yourself invisible by seeing them but with no looks.

Wheather one knows how to fight or not, I dare the best tatami champion fighter,  to deal in the street with a bunch of drunk-drugged hoodlums who won't even feel the pain on all the fancy Hon-Gesa Gatame one may consider mastering,.

The only battle you may win, in the one you never had to fight (Sun Tzu - the art of War).

well said bravo my dear co-worker poster !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

In that type of situation the person already put their hands on you.  And you need to get away from the threat.  Your only choice is to do what is necessary to attempt to neutralize the situation . Using your hands or what ever is at your disposal. 

• Haha 1

'Self-Defense' does not necessarily mean 'fighting.'
It means taking control of a situation so the outcome is NOT getting hurt or having to hurt the other person.

Most of us are older. VERY few of us have had a real 'fight' since junior high school. Perhaps some pushing and chest bumping, but no 'real' fight. However, many of us still think we've 'got it.'  Fact is, we don't.

Fighting is a skill, and just like any other skill, it needs to be practiced regularly to be effective. But 'self-defense' doesn't mean long hours in the gym. There are things one learns in a 'good' self-defense class that a person of any age can master in a few minutes that can put you in control of a situation, especially when being grabbed by another person. And THAT is the goal of self-defense... you controlling the situation. Being in control means you have choices.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

'Self-Defense' does not necessarily mean 'fighting.'
It means taking control of a situation so the outcome is NOT getting hurt or having to hurt the other person.

Most of us are older. VERY few of us have had a real 'fight' since junior high school. Perhaps some pushing and chest bumping, but no 'real' fight. However, many of us still think we've 'got it.'  Fact is, we don't.

Fighting is a skill, and just like any other skill, it needs to be practiced regularly to be effective. But 'self-defense' doesn't mean long hours in the gym. There are things one learns in a 'good' self-defense class that a person of any age can master in a few minutes that can put you in control of a situation, especially when being grabbed by another person. And THAT is the goal of self-defense... you controlling the situation. Being in control means you have choices.

Your great at saying absolutely nothing. Next time just give a simple pointer for self-defense.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, grain said:

Too old for any type of fighting now, age 76, in such a situation all I could do is try get away, if I tried to hit a 20 yo he could hit or push me and I'd be flat on my back in a second. I had my fair share of punch ups in my younger days but they're way behind me now, I used to be able to bang 4-5-6 times a night too, and those days are way behind me too. 😄

Same age, I can only hope I have my walking stick with me! Quick deep jab and "scurry" like hell (since the best I can do is a fast walk).

come to my house at night. I will hold and aim my Infrared Thermometer at you. A red laser spot will appear on your chest. 

From a distance in the dark can you tell a tazer from an Infrared Thermometer 🤔