Agent says i need 500,000 for one month to renew visa

11 hours ago, xtof2 said:

Hello. 
i am on a guardian visa. You do need to have 500k on your account to get it  the first tome and also to renew every year. This amount has to be there , I think, 2 months before renewal and 1 month after. 
You will need a letter from your bank to acknowledge that.. And to add 100 baht just before going for your stamp! With your passbook.

The purpose to have an agent is to avoid all that including the 500k deposit !

Last time I was on parent visa (2 years ago) it was only 400,000.

Both at Bangkok and upcountry immigration offices (I made extensions at both).

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

A 'guardian visa' is one issued because you have a foreign child legally here on an ED visa and it requires the 500K baht in a thai account in your name only for 30 days before you apply for the FIRST yearly extension and then for every subsequent yearly extension the funds need to be in the account for 3 months

Oh, okay, so different requirements from being the parent of a Thai kid?

I see.

17 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Asking a question is astonishment?   What do you think the purpose of the forum is -so you can ridicule someone for asking a question that others have the answers to?  Astonishing.

OP didn't ask a question... he made a statement... "Agent suddenly tells me that i needed 500,000 in my Thai account for at least a month to renew my visa. Well thanks for telling me this now !"... as if it's the agents fault that he doesn't know the requirements to extend his visa... just more farang whining and woe is me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

OP didn't ask a question... he made a statement... "Agent suddenly tells me that i needed 500,000 in my Thai account for at least a month to renew my visa. Well thanks for telling me this now !"... as if it's the agents fault that he doesn't know the requirements to extend his visa... just more farang whining and woe is me.

"Is this accurate?"   -  is a question you left that out when you copied his post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pouatchee said:

i am on marriage visa. forgive my confusion. i thought it was 400 000. when did it change to 500?

Sorry for any confusion, marriage is still 400k, the child-support visa our OP is asking about is 500k.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

thank you for the clarification. i must do my extension this week

Did mine last week using local income.

An even bigger stack of paperwork needed, luckily handled by my employer.

Local immigration wants a visit and new TM30 every year 😞 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Did mine last week using local income.

An even bigger stack of paperwork needed, luckily handled by my employer.

Local immigration wants a visit and new TM30 every year 😞 

i managed to save up the 400 000 so i don't have to do proof of income. way easier. before with proof of income my better half had to run to the tax department and get all the crappy paper work... last time we did it she was missing some form. way easier with money in the bank... it is just getting it there that is difficult. 

5 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i managed to save up the 400 000 so i don't have to do proof of income. way easier. before with proof of income my better half had to run to the tax department and get all the crappy paper work... last time we did it she was missing some form. way easier with money in the bank... it is just getting it there that is difficult. 

it is just getting it there that is difficult. 

actually very easy to transfer from home country account with OFX or wise

On 11/3/2023 at 5:51 PM, timendres said:

What if I have $1M in my US bank account, and ATM access to that money, and CC's with limits totaling over $100K USD?

Do I still need that much money in a Thai bank account?

Yes

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes

Hmm. When I first moved to Thailand 13 years ago, I opened a Thai bank account with 20,000THB.

Never touched it and never added more and never had a problem for 4 years.

Until I got a work permit and everything changed.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes

I think he was being snarky. The poster he was replying to was suggesting that we should all have at least 500k in our Thai back accounts regardless of whether or not we're "renewing our visa's" 😉

It has left us in a peralous situation. 

We were not told of the 500,000, now we have days left scrambling around to get our bank in the UK to transfer the money.

And as you guessed it's just not that easy. Even using Wise and other apps, the banks are just too tough on security that i need to be physically in the UK to do it. 

Incredible! I am getting confused emojis on a simple thing. This is the bottom line. You enter with a visa. That visa is the base for you extension. After that you can extend year after year on a NON O if you meet the requirements. Every time you extend the extension is still based on your visa. Does that not mean a visa can be extended and that a visa as well as an extension are to be seen as a permission to stay? So, why is that? Just because the extension as well as the visa have a certain amount of days you are PERMITTED to stay in the country. Clear enough?

Just now, Gottfrid said:

The extension application is made om both the permission to stay and the visa. If you entered with a NON-O for visit wife, you can extend 60 days, if you entered with visa exempt, you can extend 30 days. Do I need to continue to prove the facts?

FFS!  Nothing to do with the visa. .....that has long gone.

You can enter on a Non-Imm O based on marriage and then extend the permission to stay based on retirement.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What about VOA, which stands for Visa on Arrival? Must be a Visa, right? That one, can amazingly be extended 7 days at an immigration office.

I try to avoid inserting myself into this kind of bickering, but it is useful for people to understand this point, and many do not.

When you have a 15-day permission to stay from entering with a visa-on-arrival, in most cases, your permission to stay cannot be extended. Instead, what usually happens is that you apply for an extension and the application is rejected. The standard procedure after any extension has been formally rejected is that you are given an order to leave the country within seven days. This is not the same as your permission to stay being extended and, if you do not leave within the seven days, it is a serious matter.

From what I recall from Op's earlier topics, he's native english speaker, and should comprehend

requirements, what agents say, and advice given already.

Sometime, looking for a straw doesn't help. 

OP has now started a new thread, about the same.