The Met Police WON'T ban Poppy Day pro-Palestine rally

CharlieH

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Personally not, however these days I usually avoid participating in such debates.

However my question was not about me particularly, but of the almost Pavlovian response of some to any criticism of Israel. I have no doubt that you are aware of the phenomenon.

What I'm aware of is that you're baiting. It's not like the first time we've been over this, right?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

How can one demonstrate an objection to the actions of the Israeli government without being branded an anti Semite?

Simple. The answer is in your question. You direct your vitriol at THE GOVERNMENT not "the jews". It is an obvious distinction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

How can one demonstrate an objection to the actions of the Israeli government without being branded an anti Semite?

Difficult. True. But by the same token how can one support the other side without being branded as far right?

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well yes I agree, it’s one of the things people from around the world who fought with Britain in two world wars fought for.

And yes I agree, marching for peace on Armistice Day is a fitting memorial to those who were killed or injured in those wars and the many wars and conflicts since. 

Remembrance Day has a parade, not a march. Other marches this weekend are disrespectful.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

What I'm aware of is that you're baiting. It's not like the first time we've been over this, right?

Because it remains unresolved, on this thread and in the real world, where the reputations of many good people are slurried because they dare to raise objections. And many others refuse to speak out for the same reason.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m on the side of challenging obviously fictitious claims and faux outrage.

I have absolutely no problem repeating my defense of fundamental rights.

The issue to me is authoritarians climbing on the bandwagon in an attempt to restrict rights to protest.

The subtext of other rightwing garbage around nationality, faith and ‘citizenship’  are all over this thread.

I’m very comfortable with which side of the argument I’m on.

Thanks for making my point.

To refresh your memory, you posted something about estimated numbers of protestors. Somehow not interested in addressing your own comment, other than by deflecting and dodging.

Same goes for pretty much anything said on topic - whether reasonable, or over the top: you reply to all with variations of the same message.

Not much of an argument offered from your side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Because it remains unresolved, on this thread and in the real world, where the reputations of many good people are slurried because they dare to raise objections. And many others refuse to speak out for the same reason.

There is no 'resolving' such issues and questions, I think you know that.

Also which 'many good people' would these be? Are they the same ones maybe branded as fascist warmongers and so on? Or would that be another group?

Once again, you're baiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Remembrance Day has a parade, not a march. Other marches this weekend are disrespectful.

Remembrance Day is lots of things.

People will this weekend go shopping, clubbing, down the pub for some beers, make jokes and laugh, enjoy themselves and lots of other normal things, including enjoying their right to peacefully protest.

I think protesting for the end of a war on Armistice Day is a rather fitting way to memorialize those who have died or been injured in wars.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Morch said:

Thanks for making my point.

To refresh your memory, you posted something about estimated numbers of protestors. Somehow not interested in addressing your own comment, other than by deflecting and dodging.

Same goes for pretty much anything said on topic - whether reasonable, or over the top: you reply to all with variations of the same message.

Not much of an argument offered from your side.

Honestly Morch, what does it matter if there are 100,000 or 500,000 attendees?

Those arguing against this protest are doing so on the basis of the protest actually being allowed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Those arguing against this protest are doing so on the basis of the protest actually being allowed.

If it didn't matter, why did you bring it up?

As to answer your question - it matters as it generates a false sense of massive public support. Now, I know that there are a lot of people supporting this, but the more inflated numbers are tossed about, the more of a thing it becomes. The moment this half a million, 500k meme is established, then dispelling it by facts is almost impossible. So yeah, not as trivial as you make it to be.

I'm not responsible for what others are posting or what they argue.

I don't think that holding the protest itself should be banned, but I see the date picked and insisted on in a different light than yourself. I also don't see the protests through your, apparently, rose tinted glasses, either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You know this how?

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Morch said:

If it didn't matter, why did you bring it up?

As to answer your question - it matters as it generates a false sense of massive public support. Now, I know that there are a lot of people supporting this, but the more inflated numbers are tossed about, the more of a thing it becomes. The moment this half a million, 500k meme is established, then dispelling it by facts is almost impossible. So yeah, not as trivial as you make it to be.

I'm not responsible for what others are posting or what they argue.

I don't think that holding the protest itself should be banned, but I see the date picked and insisted on in a different light than yourself. I also don't see the protests through your, apparently, rose tinted glasses, either. 

Rose tinted?

I also support the rights of counter protesters to erm counter protest.

I’m pretty sure there will be some rather unsavory characters amongst them, but provided they are peaceable in their protests they have a right to protest.

If a few amongst them break the law or become violent, I won’t blame all counter protestors.

It’s the nature of political protest, those who don’t agree with the protest will exaggerate any breach of the law.

Those interested in causing trouble will show up on both sides of the line, it’s always the case.

What’s new is a Minister of State actively engaging inflammatory rhetoric to advance her own authoritarian political objectives.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, riclag said:

He claims there are some Hamas organizers,linked in the Organizing efforts!

He claims this a a deliberate attempt to undermine Uk’s Armistice Day remembrance!

I agree! 
I watched the whole interview ,cheers Murray!

Hamas is a terrorist organization,Terror associated propaganda has no place in a peaceful protest .

Lots of claims.

Thin on evidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Rose tinted?

I also support the rights of counter protesters to erm counter protest.

I’m pretty sure there will be some rather unsavory characters amongst them, but provided they are peaceable in their protests they have a right to protest.

If a few amongst them break the law or become violent, I won’t blame all counter protestors.

It’s the nature of political protest, those who don’t agree with the protest will exaggerate any breach of the law.

Those interested in causing trouble will show up on both sides of the line, it’s always the case.

What’s new is a Minister of State actively engaging inflammatory rhetoric to advance her own authoritarian political objectives.

Basically, you keep doing what you do all along this topic - repeat the same message on a loop, pretty much regardless of what's being posted.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

Basically, you keep doing what you do all along this topic - repeat the same message on a loop, pretty much regardless of what's being posted.

That’s right Morch.

I stick to my argument and don’t get distracted by the slurs tossed my way by those who don’t agree with me.

It’s known as consistency.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s right Morch.

I stick to my argument and don’t get distracted by the slurs tossed my way by those who don’t agree with me.

It’s known as consistency.

I did not toss slurs at you, and you still do the same - hence, not very consistent.

• Thumbs Up 1