Malt Whisky in Chiangmai

Maybole

I think I make this request every year as New Year approaches.

I like to savour a bottle of good malt around New Year. Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie are readily available but a bit bland for my taste. I prefer an Island malt (Talisker. Ardbeg, etc.)

Would any member who spots such a whisky please reply to this post with details. Thank you all.

It is worth a day trip to Taichileck (Mae Sai border). There is a booze shop there, excellent selection, much cheaper than here, for 25baht per bottle they will get it across the border for you, :wink: :wink:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

As far as I am aware not anymore. Online alcohol sales were banned in Dec 2020.

I don't know about Wishbeer, but "The Bottles" sell online and deliver https://thebottlesbkk.com/collections/whisky-whiskey

I have had deliveries of wine as recently as December last year. You need to sign up as a member (free), so maybe that's the workaround for the online sales ban.

I'd be careful using wishbeer.

I have the same issue except I like nice bourbons and they're very hard to find in your average shops.

I made a selection on wishbeer of about 10,000 baht of nice whiskies.

Soon after I got an email saying exactly "Thank you for your order. As we don't have all the Spirits available in stock.
It take 3-5 working days to re-order. We will update you again when we got the information from supplier.
Would that be ok for you?"

I had to leave Thailand to travel in a couple of weeks so I said I was concerned it's not enough time.

They replied exactly "We have followed up with the supplier and they keep postponing the delivery date"

It turned into a drama. Communication was crap. 1 reply email from them took 1-2 days each.

Tried calling but literally nobody picks up the phone ever.

So I cancelled and they say ok the money has been refunded. Except it wasn't.

I ended up calling the bank and SCB were very diligent in chasing it up and getting the money refunded. I was very impressed with SCB.

I would never use wishbeer again.

I should add there was nothing during checkout to say anything was out of stock.

There is another place that sells top whiskies called "the wine Merchant" but I find they're way way overpriced selling some bottles 30000+ that are maybe worth 10000.

So I just gave up getting good whiskeys in the end.

I always is through duty free and grab something interesting from there instead

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I don't know about Wishbeer, but "The Bottles" sell online and deliver https://thebottlesbkk.com/collections/whisky-whiskey

I have had deliveries of wine as recently as December last year. You need to sign up as a member (free), so maybe that's the workaround for the online sales ban.

The new law required face to face contact but they must feel they have some sort of workaround. I usually pick something up on trips outside the country so never needed to buy anything special but thanks for the info, you never know.

https://cellar.asia/wine/thailand-bans-liquor-online-sales/

6 hours ago, Grusa said:

It is worth a day trip to Taichileck (Mae Sai border). There is a booze shop there, excellent selection, much cheaper than here, for 25baht per bottle they will get it across the border for you, :wink: :wink:.

In the booze shop at Ban Laem you can get Scotch Whisky, made from the finest grapes, at a good price.