Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

Just now, RanongCat said:

Huh? Is it a forum for discussion or just a news service? Argue I want not. Debate yes.

Many topics turn into bickering and personal attacks. So boring. Nobody learns anything.

I like topics where I learn something. 

24 minutes ago, george said:

True. How should Mods handle these members? Be tough or lenient in moderating?

As you said George, what should happen, is that the members  block those 'regulars' they end up 'arguing' with.

We are all guilty of 'firing back' - but that is what they want - they thrive on it and need it (they are not well) - next thing you know you are responding to their taunts and their antagonistic drivel - muh guilty as charged.

I have solved the problem for myself - I have just blocked all those who seem to argue with everyone - noting that some of them never argue with each other - same person? certainly same type of person.

My earlier point, and that of others about also blocking them from seeing your posts should be implemented.

I dont want to see their posts and I dont want them seeing mine - that is the ideal fix.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

As you said George, what should happen, is that the members  block those 'regulars' they end up 'arguing' with.

We are all guilty of 'firing back' - but that is what they want - they thrive on it and need it (they are not well) - next thing you know you are responding to their taunts and their antagonistic drivel - muh guilty as charged.

I have solved the problem for myself - I have just blocked all those who seem to argue with everyone - noting that some of them never argue with each other - same person? certainly same type of person.

My earlier point, and that of others about also blocking them from seeing your posts should be implemented.

I dont want to see their posts and I dont want them seeing mine - that is the ideal fix.

I think some of the longer term members think they are special. They bait people into arguments and try to get others a holiday. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bignok said:

Topic exclusions is a good idea. Be even better if the OP could exclude people themselves.

Yeah...and then the poster excluded just opens a parallel topic and so on. We'll have double the daft topics we already have.

Next thing you'll start crying about people 'copying' your topics or something.

24 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

Dangerous ground  if the OP  can  eliminate  unwelcome  genuine  debate ?

Good point.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

I think some of the longer term members think they are special. They bait people into arguments and try to get others a holiday. 

Maybe they are just more experienced and better at it than yourself. Don't worry - you'll get there.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

I agree. All politics. Or Yinn

Yawn fest. Same with climate.

Nobody ever changes their mind. So boring.

There should be a forum section named something like “Intense Argument Free for All” where the threads that descend into incendiary abyss can be moved there, with the ability to to ignore that particular forum completely so none of it will show up anywhere. This way the habitual angsters can vent their aggression on each other, out of sight-out of mind for the individuals that have no interest in it.

• Like 1

Just now, novacova said:

There should be a forum section named something like “Intense Argument Free for All” where the threads that descend into incendiary abyss can be moved there, with the ability to to ignore that particular forum completely so none of it will show up anywhere. This way the habitual angsters can vent their aggression on each other, out of sight-out of mind for the individuals that have no interest in it.

Its called "the lounge" and why its there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, novacova said:

I agree. Have a Trump rant topic. A Climate nutters topic. 

On 11/10/2023 at 12:07 PM, fondue zoo said:

Confused and Sad pile on imminent.

I feel empathy for guys who use confused emojis they are not clever enough to understand

People use the sad one as an attempt at reverse irony. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

A couple of forums I was member/moderator of, there were two helpful features:

Moderators could post a warning (usually on topic expected to get out of hand) that posters had to click and acknowledge before commenting. Not on each and every post, but each time re-logging to website and wishing to post on topic. That cuts the 'i didn't know', 'I didn't see' excuses.

Similar but personal - warning pm that basically blocks all further action on website until acknowledged. Poster is not suspended, banned or anything, but can't ignore the warning.

Most times, the first measure was good enough to tone things down some, and we were able to set it to appear automatically every X posts, at the start of each page and so on.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

A couple of forums I was member/moderator of, there were two helpful features:

Moderators could post a warning (usually on topic expected to get out of hand) that posters had to click and acknowledge before commenting. Not on each and every post, but each time re-logging to website and wishing to post on topic. That cuts the 'i didn't know', 'I didn't see' excuses.

Similar but personal - warning pm that basically blocks all further action on website until acknowledged. Poster is not suspended, banned or anything, but can't ignore the warning.

Most times, the first measure was good enough to tone things down some, and we were able to set it to appear automatically every X posts, at the start of each page and so on.

Already have and is used.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, bignok said:

No only about 5%. If you think ranting about Trump belongs on this topic you perhaps you should google what trolling is and educate yourself.

TBH I am Googling 'how to behave in a public forum' right now, still no luck. Any idea where I can find it?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

Really? All the members here are adults. Are they so easy to bait?

Some have a sort of 'phobia' participating in a public forum and seems to hallucinate...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, novacova said:

What tends to happen in that situation is that handful of posters turn every thread into a fight between themselves and all threads end up in the doghouse .

Most threads end up in the doghouse with the same few posters slinging abuse at each other , its usually lefties and right-wingers fighting each other in all the threads and few threads are left unscathed 

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

Really? All the members here are adults. Are they so easy to bait?

Some have a sort of 'phobia' participating in a public forum and seems to hallucinate...

Most are fine. There 5 or 6 bad ones on any forum. That's life. Put 100 people in a room you get that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1