Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

Just now, Thorgal said:

That's a typical example of :

1. devaluating the original message of a poster

2. continuing repeated persecution on divers topics through guilt tripping and stalking

3. impersonating the AN authority by repeating to adhere to the rules, moderator warning, etc...to legalize the future report function and to generate a virtual warning

If you break the rules consistently as you did then mods have no option but to act. Its really as simple as that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Bigbash is your typical trouble-causer and wrecks threads constantly People don't start new threads because he berates them and when you have a go back at him he abuses you reports you and ignores you.

Your posts are like the 3rd dog in taking the scraps.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thorgal said:

2. continuing repeated persecution on divers topics through guilt tripping and stalking

3. impersonating the AN authority by repeating to adhere to the rules, moderator warning, etc...to legalize the future report function and to generate a virtual warning

No, that's telling it how it is. There is no requirement to see your 'message' as having much value. Commenting on your posts is not 'stalking'. And pointing out to the gap between what you whine about and how you actually roll is fair game.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

If you break the rules consistently as you did then mods have no option but to act. Its really as simple as that

Another typical example :

The group will kick in to repeat the smear campaign through wat we call in psychology "flying monkeys"

https://en.wikipedia-on-ipfs.org/wiki/Flying_monkeys_(popular_psychology)

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Sorry but that's got nothing to do with staying within the community guidelines

That's a typical example of :

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

That's a typical example of :

And? Do you think you have a special pass to break rules while us mere mortals stick to them as best we can?

Anyway, its seems your off again so I'll leave you to it rather than let this topic get hijacked

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Your posts are like the 3rd dog in taking the scraps.

Ironic too. I never used to report anyone. Then a few started reporting me daily. It seems they can't handle their own medicine. I'm happy for light or heavy mods as long as its consistent and doesnt favour certain posters which clearly it did until 3 months ago. That O poster used to bait and troll people non stop. Always got away with it because of the political side of the fence he sat on. 

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

And? Do you think you have a special pass to break rules while us mere mortals stick to them as best we can?

Anyway, its seems your off again so I'll leave you to it rather than let this topic get hijacked

The "created" unconformity of the messenger will be repeated until he leaves the topic and repeated onto another topic...

It's all for a "created" good cause to get these posters out because they "create" serious harm...

Edited by Thorgal
  • Confused 3
  • Love It 1

The more rules the more control you make subjects of people. Maybe it would be better to instaure a congregation. Or take an example on communist regimes or the Russians or North Korea. Is that what you want ban freedom of speech? If so you should erase the Forum, because than it is no Forum anymore.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think there's an artform to staying 5% within the rules whilst pushing someone 5% over. Practice or knowing a mod helps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, vangrop said:

The more rules the more control you make subjects of people. Maybe it would be better to instaure a congregation. Or take an example on communist regimes or the Russians or North Korea. Is that what you want ban freedom of speech? If so you should erase the Forum, because than it is no Forum anymore.

I believe the underlying issue in this thread is not about "more" rules but what rules can assist in combating excessive conflict which has the effect of driving away interest and thus forum members.

How to set limits on those who are intransigent in self opinion and correctness they are incapable of tolerating any question or challenge to their or the mindset of  a clique of opinion? If there were an audio version of some topics in AN all that would be heard is hysterical screaming  and shouting  down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Good post.

What ruins a good thread faster than anything though is the multipage bickering between repliers that devolve into ad hominem attacks.

When the bored and boring topics from posters you named gets monotonous I can just move on. When these are the only posters then I just skip AN entirely. Lately I've been skipping several days.

Maybe some of us simply grow past needing /wanting the content, but surely the nonsense topics and replies are a deterrent to even opening AN to start with.

If I just want background noise I turn on a radio. Nobody opens a forum page to read background

drivel.

For whatever reasons, the caliber of the AN forums is rapidly deteriorating. I just don't care enough to make an in-depth study of why it's failing. If I had a financial interest in the forum though I would sure as hell be paying more attention.

Where's that +1 button George was talking about when you need it!

I can think of a few more whingy whinny ones too usually the ones moaning about stalkers and bragging about their ignore lists, pathetic really...

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

I believe the underlying issue in this thread is not about "more" rules but what rules can assist in combating excessive conflict which has the effect of driving away interest and thus forum members.

How to set limits on those who are intransigent in self opinion and correctness they are incapable of tolerating any question or challenge to their or the mindset of  a clique of opinion? If there were an audio version of some topics in AN all that would be heard is hysterical screaming  and shouting  down

We all are individuals with our own opinions. Of course you could find that one with another opinion is a stupid morron, probaly same as what he will think about you. Well one has to be subtile enough to pass an understanding message that the other probably will not understand. Agree that not everyone is gifted or intelligent enough for that. You could als punish the other by the silent treatment, Case closed. But it is not with a waterfall of rules that you will solve this issue. You know rules are the weapons of the weak.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

How to set limits on those who are intransigent in self opinion and correctness they are incapable of tolerating any question or challenge to their or the mindset of  a clique of opinion? If there were an audio version of some topics in AN all that would be heard is hysterical screaming  and shouting  down.

How do you feel about posters repeatedly badmouthing, cursing other posters?

12 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Insulting people who don't agree with your viewpoint just shows how insecure you are in your own.

Carefully watch your thoughts, for they become your words. Manage and watch your words, for they will become your actions. Consider and judge your actions, for they have become your habits. Acknowledge and watch your habits, for they shall become your values. Understand and embrace your values, for they become your destiny.

Mahatma Gandhi

Great quote.

Just now, mark131v said:

I beg to differ, your pedantic infantile multiple whinges is exactly what is wrong with this forum, it's good in a way as often when I see you and some of your cohorts on a thread I just do something more fulfilling like have a walk or take a dump or something. Won't bother blocking you as it really ain't that important.....

Thanks for your baiting post.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, bignok said:

I think there's an artform to staying 5% within the rules whilst pushing someone 5% over. Practice or knowing a mod helps.

If moderators had a lifespan of only 2-3 years, that would make "knowing a mod" void.

Moderators doesn't work like that. Each action by mods must be followed by a written reason, hidden for members,

Seen by fellow mods and Admins.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Shop mak said:

If moderators had a lifespan of only 2-3 years, that would make "knowing a mod" void.

Moderators doesn't work like that. Each action by mods must be followed by a written reason, hidden for members,

Seen by fellow mods and Admins.

Arent some 5 to 10 years though?

1 hour ago, Thorgal said:

Indeed, you've hit the nail on the head. Another poster I have on ignore who continues to reply to my posts. A block feature would immediately fix him and  his ilk. If someone follows me in real life, after I'd asked them to stay away, they'd get a punch on the nose. Here, these trolls think it's their God-given right to stalk others as it's a public forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mark131v said:

I beg to differ, your pedantic infantile multiple whinges is exactly what is wrong with this forum, it's good in a way as often when I see you and some of your cohorts on a thread I just do something more fulfilling like have a walk or take a dump or something. Won't bother blocking you as it really ain't that important.....

You'd rather publicly defame him to make yourself seem superior. If you don't like someone's posts ignore them. Jeez.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, you've hit the nail on the head. Another poster I have on ignore who continues to reply to my posts. A block feature would immediately fix him and  his ilk. If someone follows me in real life, after I'd asked them to stay away, they'd get a punch on the nose. Here, these trolls think it's their God-given right to stalk others as it's a public forum. 

My 2 trolls have gone very quiet of late. But u are right. In real life someone who ignores you would get hit sooner or later.