Installing guttering on 3 sides of a house.

JeffersLos

18 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

We've been offered Zinc gutters, 250 baht a meter installed.

Any experiences? 

I think that is what I got, 12 years, and still no leaks. The ones we got are pretty large, with only one downspout for 10 meters, never overflowed, but will often fill a 3000-liter tank in a day.

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

They need to be treated with HCi to remove all the oil, then an epoxy primer from TOA, and a top coat from rust-oleum.

No rust on the gutters itself yet, but many leaks where they were welded

Thanks. Unfortunately all this will need to be done after the installation. Which may well be impossible. :laugh:

What is HCi? 

I presume that the primer and top coat from Rustoleum with be brush on, and not available in spray cans?

As for leaks at the welds, would putting on a silicone sealant (or similar) after installation help?

(Open Questions, not only to BenStark :) ) 

11 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks. Unfortunately all this will need to be done after the installation. Which may well be impossible. :laugh:

What is HCi? 

I presume that the primer and top coat from Rustoleum with be brush on, and not available in spray cans?

As for leaks at the welds, would putting on a silicone sealant (or similar) after installation help?

(Open Questions, not only to BenStark :) ) 

Can't be done after install.

HCi is hydrochloric acid, you will see they also use it before they weld for the same reason.

Epoxy primer obviously not available in spray cans since it is 2 component, the rustoleum i had prepared in 3 gallon buckets at boonthavorn.

Spray cans would cost an arm and a leg.

You could try to cover the welds with bitumen tape. The main reason why these welds crack is because of the extraction and contraction of the material due to large temperature differences.

uPVC or aluminium are much less subjected to that

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1

Did  all my own, cant trust a Thai to tie their own shoelaces or create another job/damage in the process, this  has been up 12  years, taken down and re-put up last year solely for painting behind the fascia board it sits on when I repainted the entire house. Its Windsor brand UPVC sold at home pro and also rebranded and sold  as SCG brand at Global House etc  but its identical in every way in fact when removing it I broke 2  brackets and replaced with the SCG ones, Used to be White and \brown only, wouldnt waste money on coloured it will fade..white doesnt  yellow. Two downspouts on a 14x6  metre oblong shape house single  story.

USE STAINLESS SCREWS ONLY  anything else will rust and look <deleted>e later you can find fall ratios online it aint hard, brackets at short intervals again check from manufaturer (800mm?) i used what they said, never had an over flow , check down spouts  occasionally for bird/rats nests twice year.

From memory about 600baht 4  metre length . The frist photo is 12 FEb 2022 when i re painted (no fading of  plastic) wouldnt waste time with ANY other material, no painting.  All hanging brackets hidden for a  clean tidy look, white  will contract /expand/creak way less than  the brown, joints are sealed with silicone every 4  metres internally  or or you can double up and do externally as  well. https://www.scgbuildingmaterials.com/th/product/rain-gutter original house  build photo 2011 same  gutters

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1

Tried to edit again but wouldnt let me? you should plan a whole draingae system from the outset, all my water run off goes into a lake from the houses none is wasted piped under my drive with grils on the end to keep vermin out, emptying into containers  will not last 2 minutes in a downpour. Wife posted up my land drainage system on tik tok and got 700000 likes ( christ must be mad) asking to come and do their house and also Bangkok as ther govnor seemed unable!! Seems its a  serious issue for many reading the tik tok comments.  What they are  putting up is basically junk, lucky if you get 5  years out of  it, cheap is the common denominator for many Thais

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

20 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

We've been offered Zinc gutters, 250 baht a meter installed.

Any experiences? 

My neighbour had it installed 6 months ago it looks like steptoes yard in my opinion, mind you so does the rest of his modifications 🤔

22 hours ago, BenStark said:

100 baht a meter and good quality steel certainly don't belong in the same sentence.

But what I'm more interested in is how did they connect the lengths leak free without soldering, because 25 meter lengths don't exist I think.

The lengths were 3 meters, and as I said they were soldered, and again the guttering was ok but the solder corraded the steel and caused the leaks.

And you find that most guttering comes in 3-meter lengths. 

And most Thai guttering seems to the same standard having put up short lengths up in our cattle shed, buying it from different places it all seems the same. 

2 minutes ago, kickstart said:

The lengths were 3 meters, and as I said they were soldered, and again the guttering was ok but the solder corraded the steel and caused the leaks.

And most Thai guttering seems to the same standard having put up short lengths up in our cattle shed, buying it from different places it all seems the same. 

Maybe something got lost in translation, but you posted,

long lengths no soldered joint, had it fitted as part of the job. It was 2500 baht for a 25-meter run

So my question was, how do you get 25 meters of gutter, in 3 meter lengths, leak free without soldering?

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Did  all my own, cant trust a Thai to tie their own shoelaces or create another job/damage in the process, this  has been up 12  years, taken down and re-put up last year solely for painting behind the fascia board it sits on when I repainted the entire house. Its Windsor brand UPVC sold at home pro and also rebranded and sold  as SCG brand at Global House etc  but its identical in every way in fact when removing it I broke 2  brackets and replaced with the SCG ones, Used to be White and \brown only, wouldnt waste money on coloured it will fade..white doesnt  yellow. Two downspouts on a 14x6  metre oblong shape house single  story.

USE STAINLESS SCREWS ONLY  anything else will rust and look <deleted>e later you can find fall ratios online it aint hard, brackets at short intervals again check from manufaturer (800mm?) i used what they said, never had an over flow , check down spouts  occasionally for bird/rats nests twice year.

From memory about 600baht 4  metre length . The frist photo is 12 FEb 2022 when i re painted (no fading of  plastic) wouldnt waste time with ANY other material, no painting.  All hanging brackets hidden for a  clean tidy look, white  will contract /expand/creak way less than  the brown, joints are sealed with silicone every 4  metres internally  or or you can double up and do externally as  well. https://www.scgbuildingmaterials.com/th/product/rain-gutter original house  build photo 2011 same  gutters

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Nice. What you have there is pretty much what I have all around my modest hutch. I have quite a few 45° miters and the joints are getting hard to find, last time I was at Hardware House they had the inside miters but not the outers.

Still, I agree with everything you say - no fuss, clean lines and ridiculously easy to install.

22 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Re the new guttering that was done in two lengths, they did a big overlap using  screws and a lot of mastic it is watertight, and as I said it was also part of the new house roof the guy gave us a discount on the guttering. 

As a 'rule of thumb' we would install downpipes at a maximum distance of 12m apart if pushed but try for 8 - 10m if we had to - that's with a 75mm downpipe, on standard gutter and in Europe where the gutter capacity is normally lesser. Aesthetically and sometimes functionally it is the norm to avoid having downpipes in the middle of a run - that's usually achievable in a domestic situation.

Given that when it rains in Thailand, it really rains, I'd be going for runs of 5 - 6m max, depending on a convenient collector position and probably upgrade to 100mm or even 120mm downpipe if its available. When bracketing, remember that the bigger the gutter, the more weight it will carry - more is much better than less.

I've always used plastic but not sure on quality in Thailand - stainless probably better.

A local builder is probably best for the job and for advice on sizes.

10 hours ago, 3STTW said:

Nice. What you have there is pretty much what I have all around my modest hutch. I have quite a few 45° miters and the joints are getting hard to find, last time I was at Hardware House they had the inside miters but not the outers.

Still, I agree with everything you say - no fuss, clean lines and ridiculously easy to install.

You can use windsor  brand and scg brand Homepro stock the externals, I saw them at huahin recently theyre  about 500nbaht ish

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

As a 'rule of thumb' we would install downpipes at a maximum distance of 12m apart if pushed but try for 8 - 10m if we had to - that's with a 75mm downpipe, on standard gutter and in Europe where the gutter capacity is normally lesser. Aesthetically and sometimes functionally it is the norm to avoid having downpipes in the middle of a run - that's usually achievable in a domestic situation.

Given that when it rains in Thailand, it really rains, I'd be going for runs of 5 - 6m max, depending on a convenient collector position and probably upgrade to 100mm or even 120mm downpipe if its available. When bracketing, remember that the bigger the gutter, the more weight it will carry - more is much better than less.

I've always used plastic but not sure on quality in Thailand - stainless probably better.

A local builder is probably best for the job and for advice on sizes.

no problem with quality of scg and winsdor  brand  gutter in WHITE  in Thailand, had mine up over 10 years

• Thanks 1

The zinc coated guttering has been installed. It came to a total of 370thb per meter. 6 downpipes. Brackets are spaced at 50cm not 1 meter.

So now comes the maintenance part. I will buy a 3 meter step ladder.

I plan to sweep it out with a brush every week.

What should I do now, that will extend its lifespan?

6 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

The zinc coated guttering has been installed. It came to a total of 370thb per meter. 6 downpipes. Brackets are spaced at 50cm not 1 meter.

So now comes the maintenance part. I will buy a 3 meter step ladder.

I plan to sweep it out with a brush every week.

What should I do now, that will extend its lifespan?

Just make sure the soldering of the seams, downpipes etc is good while you still have a warranty, otherwise they will rust and drip.