Installing guttering on 3 sides of a house.

JeffersLos

We want to install guttering on the back and both sides of a house. We don't believe there are drains under ground built for the purpose, so would have them empty into big pots or bins. One on one side, one for the back and side.

I presume the bigger is better for the guttering, i believe there are 3 inch and 5 inch varieties. 

PVC, plastic, or metal is best?

One side would be around 12 meters with one downpipe going into a big pot.

The rear would be around 12 meters, then a right angle going on to the side of the house, maybe 24 meters, with one down pipe near the middle of the side section going down into a pot.

I don't believe it's a very complicated job.

Either buying a ladder and pieces and doing it myself, or getting a crew to do it.

Which materials are recommended?

What would the estimated price be?

TIA. 

Edited by JeffersLos

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

pretty slim and unobtrusive

Thanks.

We aren't bothered about how it looks or if it is obtrusive, it's definitely a function over form task. 

That said, it done entire out of bright blue PVC plumbers pipe mightn't look the best. :laugh:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Crossy said:

With that length of guttering you will need a lot more downpipes than you think.

Believe @Crossy he is absolutely correct. We have enough down pipes and this is the result 

59 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Similarly, with your "pots". A decent downpour will drop a surprising amount of water on the roof which will all end up in the guttering.

Again completely correct. With a minor rainstorm they will fill in hours, get a normal tropical downpour and they will be full in minutes not hours 

This is what can happen 

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Which materials are recommended?

What would the estimated price be?

DoHome have some good PVC gutters and downpipes, white or brown, plus all of the accessories.

They will even tell you how many metres apart to put downpipes, 4 metres from memory as the rainfall can be heavy here. 

We have gutters on one side which is 32 metres and about 5 downpipes, so that's about 6 metres away from each other, there is also side which is 10 metres in length, so one downpipe at each end.

I would recommend at least 5 metres, no more for each downpipe.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND>

We also dug a trench and ran pipes under the ground and 6 pits with those concrete circular things one on top of each other for the build up, e.g. downpipes lead into the pit from the bottom and when 3/4 full, the water then proceeds to the next one and so on and so forth until it hits it's destination, i.e. out into the street.

Cost wasn't that expensive, and we got a local rice farmer builder install them for about 30 baht a metre, if memory serves me.

Make sure you check them for leaves every month if you have trees around as we do and those leaves do fill them up pretty quickly.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Either buying a ladder and pieces and doing it myself, or getting a crew to do it.

Get a crew to do it, The hospital bill could be a lot more that you will save by trying to do the job yourself LOL

Seriously.

Where in Thailand are you? IN our area in Khon Kaen there are guys who do just that. 

We had the back side of my work shop, about 4m done a few months ago, and I don't know how much it was, but it was inexpensive enough to to even care to ask the wife. 

Get an estimate, what do you have to lose?

Oh and when you do make sure not to be around, otherwise you might get the Farang price LOL

When the wife comes back, I will ask her what we paid. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We had some gutters put up a guy selling them from a traveling pick up, he soldered the joints, lasted 5 years, the soldered caused the gutters to rust, leaks every were.

We had a new roof fitted they used the insulated tin sheets, the guy also made guttering, good quality steel long lengths no soldered joint, had it fitted as part of the job.

It was 2500 baht for a 25-meter run, no down pipes as we collect the water vi a plastic pipe into some stone Ong's, the big stone jars.  

See if you have roofing place near you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kickstart said:

We had some gutters put up a guy selling them from a traveling pick up, he soldered the joints, lasted 5 years, the soldered caused the gutters to rust, leaks every were.

We had a new roof fitted they used the insulated tin sheets, the guy also made guttering, good quality steel long lengths no soldered joint, had it fitted as part of the job.

It was 2500 baht for a 25-meter run, no down pipes as we collect the water vi a plastic pipe into some stone Ong's, the big stone jars.  

See if you have roofing place near you.

100 baht a meter and good quality steel certainly don't belong in the same sentence.

But what I'm more interested in is how did they connect the lengths leak free without soldering, because 25 meter lengths don't exist I think.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BenStark said:

But what I'm more interested in is how did they connect the lengths leak free without soldering, because 25 meter lengths don't exist I think.

You are correct, Pre formed lengths of 25 meters don’t exist, but incorrect that 25 metre unjointed lengths can’t be used. There are rolfoming machines that are small enough and light enough to be mounted on a truck or even a small trailer so they can be, and are, produced on site. These machines have been in use for decades in America so it’s likely that they may well have been manufactured in China and shipped to Thailand.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

We've been offered Zinc gutters, 250 baht a meter installed.

Any experiences? 

Our original zinc-plated gutters lasted about 5 years, they were primed and painted on installation (get the right primer) which I'm sure helped avoid too much rust.

They were replaced by nice, shiny stainless ones of the same format which are still shiny 7 years on, I expect them to outlast me.

The old gutters are now seeing service on the chook house, Madam doesn't waste anything :smile:

I just bought vinyl rain gutters from Home Pro for both sides of our house, 15 meters x2, with two downspouts on each side.  I'm doing it myself as I'm still fit and able to climb a ladder and drill the holes for the brackets.  I already climbed up an snapped a chalk line but I might make a scaffold out of eucalyptus logs just to make the install easier.  It's not a complicated job, but there is a learning curve.  Watch a few youtube videos and you'll see if you're up for the DIY part.

38 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our original zinc-plated gutters lasted about 5 years, they were primed and painted on installation (get the right primer) which I'm sure helped avoid too much rust.

They were replaced by nice, shiny stainless ones of the same format which are still shiny 7 years on, I expect them to outlast me.

What was the approx price different (in %) between the zinc plated gutters and the SS ones.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are correct, Pre formed lengths of 25 meters don’t exist, but incorrect that 25 metre unjointed lengths can’t be used. There are rolfoming machines that are small enough and light enough to be mounted on a truck or even a small trailer so they can be, and are, produced on site. These machines have been in use for decades in America so it’s likely that they may well have been manufactured in China and shipped to Thailand.

You're talking about aluminium gutters, not steel gutters, and at 100 baht a meter it will definitely not be aluminium ones.

And by the way were aren't in the US.

Aluminium ones are available in Thailand, I have heard, but not cheap and only few companies who provide that service

Edited by BenStark

51 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

If needing to prime and paint them, is there a recommended primer and paint that people can recommend? 

Do they needed to be sanded first, or just put on the primer with a brush all over them? 

I had them installed when I built my house 12 years ago.

They need to be treated with HCi to remove all the oil, then an epoxy primer from TOA, and a top coat from rust-oleum.

No rust on the gutters itself yet, but many leaks where they were welded

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BenStark said:

And by the way were aren't in the US.

If you are talking about roll forming machines. You are completely wrong. For proof just go to this old house archives. They were using them years ago in their projects. I don’t recall the material used but it was copper/brass coloured.

They aren’t an inexpensive option so you probably have never seen them.

for proof and how they are formed and produced, this is a 12.5 metre seamless gutter

Edited by sometimewoodworker

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you are talking about roll forming machines. You are completely wrong. For proof just go to this old house archives. They were using the 10 to 20 years ago in their projects. I don’t recall the material used but it was copper/brass coloured.

They aren’t an inexpensive option so you probably have never seen them.

Why you keep posting drivel?

The poster to whom I replied said he paid 100 baht/meter for his gutters. What are the chances they are roll formed?

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

For proof just go to this old house archives.

Which old house archives, I don't see a link to the archives, and are you talking about Thailand?

Edit : Oh I see now the link to the drivel you continue spouting. You realize this is a Thailand forum and Kickstart is in Thailand?

Edit 2 : I see you took advantage of my typing error where I typed "were aren't in the US", where it should have been "we aren't in the US".  Get a life please

Edited by BenStark

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Edit : Oh I see now the link to the drivel you continue spouting. You realize this is a Thailand forum and Kickstart is in Thailand?

Of course I do, and of course you won’t get anything remotely close to ฿100 per meter.

Just because you haven’t seen it or don’t know about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Bluescope products are rollformed on site the machines are totally capable of producing roof flashing in as long as you want so it’s a trivial (though not inexpensive) job to pit different profile formers for almost any profile you can think of.

That you are so hidebound that you can’t understand that people can and do get something that is not mass produced is obvious from your posts.

Last year I installed Global House PVC extra large size gutters. Did it myself. They are well made components.

How long will it last? no idea, but maybe longer than the cheap metal/zinc types.

If you have unlimited funding, go with extra large size stainless steel. 

PVC was very reasonably priced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Of course I do, and of course you won’t get anything remotely close to ฿100 per meter.

Just because you haven’t seen it or don’t know about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Bluescope products are rollformed on site the machines are totally capable of producing roof flashing in as long as you want so it’s a trivial (though not inexpensive) job to pit different profile formers for almost any profile you can think of.

That you are so hidebound that you can’t understand that people can and do get something that is not mass produced is obvious from your posts.

So you do admit now that you were deflecting on purpose, and ridiculing me by telling lies.

I responded to someone who claimed he got "good" steel gutters at 100 baht/meter that weren't welded over a length of 25 meters.

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I have never denied that roll formed gutters don't exist, I have even posted that I am aware they are available in Thailand, but not in steel and not at 100 baht/meter

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Bluescope products are rollformed on site the machines are totally capable of producing roof flashing in as long as you want so it’s a trivial (though not inexpensive) job to pit different profile formers for almost any profile you can think of.

You have a link that they do them in steel, and at 100 baht/meter as that was what the poster to whom I replied claimed to have got?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, BenStark said:

You have a link that they do them in steel, and at 100 baht/meter as that was what the poster to whom I replied claimed to have got?

You are fixated on the price point. I have never spoken about price, most because I don’t have (haven’t researched) information about that.

i do know that you can buy shorter lengths (4 meters?) of much better quality gutter from any big store than the mobile gutter sellers stock and fix.

you are so positive that steel roll formed gutter machines aren’t available here! 

this is a Chinese company that makes them so trivial to get in Thailand 

I haven’t researched the Chinese mobile machines but almost certainly they exist as bluescope uses them.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

21 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are fixated on the price point. I have never spoken about price, most because I don’t have (haven’t researched) information about that.

i do know that you can buy shorter lengths (4 meters?) of much better quality gutter from any big store than the mobile gutter sellers stock and fix.

you are so positive that steel roll formed gutter machines aren’t available here! 

this is a Chinese company that makes them so trivial to get in Thailand 

I haven’t researched the Chinese mobile machines but almost certainly they exist as bluescope uses them.

So you continue your drivel by posting a Youtube from a gutter rolling machine somewhere in a FACTORY IN CHINA and then claim, without any evidence of course, that it must be available in mobile version in Thaialnd.

Gonna put you on ignore as I'm tired of reading your unrelated drivel posted only to polish your ego

Edited by BenStark
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

You can get colour bond gutters in most colours from your local roofing shop. Bluescope is what I used.

A good quality silicon sealer and pop rivets for the joints and droppers.

I fitted it myself and no problems apart from a mango tree branch falling and bending a couple of the high tensile brackets at one end.