Do You Have Rich Friends?

Prubangboy

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How much have you got ?

I am just counting mine now and I should be finished counting by the New year

One baht, two baht, three baht, four baht...................

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

This is what often confuses me.

If i were in his position i'd sell the company and live an anonymous existence......very happily.

Why bother with the hassle. 

I've said the same thing and would do the same thing. But his identity is wrapped up in being a big time businessman. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

As the thread is about rich friends it is all about money. My guess would be that he had enough money. Mostly relating to that his money was safe in the bank, which is not usual for a hedge fund manager where many suddenly lose everything in a couple of hours.

Yes i suspect he was saying he has enough money to be comfortable and enjoy doing the things he most wants to do without having an obsession to make more more more.  He also of course likely had enough fame as being an author of a great book that will live on for decades long after he is gone.  Maybe he also had enough of the rat race , of trying to please too many people, of observing people becoming so obsessed with $ and making more $$ that they had lost their ability to enjoy some of the simpler things in life.

1.  You can always make more $$ but you can never make more time.  2.  You can't take it with you.  3. If not now, when?

I have rich friends who it seems their entire being is determined by how much they have how much they can make etc etc to the point that they really don't seem to even enjoy what pleasures $$ can bring as they are too busy trying to make more more more.  I find that sad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PJ71 said:

dude.....how old are you, 13?

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:

of course you do dude.

then you woke up and had your cornflakes and realized it was 25 baht, not 25 million.

dreamers gonna dream..

I bet neither of you have any financial awareness. You sure don't sound like it. You can tell from people's terminology and you guys have none.

Both full of BS is my guess.

• Haha 1

define rich. my mate has worked in the HK/Singapore financial markets for years, he's rich, we're the same as we ever were. but his mates are well beyond that, the cars, the houses, kind of mind blowing.

i'm currently dating a successful business woman here, she regularly travels to the US, UK, Aus on business, usually first class, top end hotels. but to me she's just the bird i'm dating :biggrin:

Edited by it is what it is
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

I have a Thai friend who owns a US$2.5 billion company. He travels around in a bullet-proof van, because he had someone try and kill him over corporate competition. I would never change places with him.

Armored vehicles are not so bad, provided one just faces a general, not a specific, threat. I lived in India and had a Landcruiser rated VR6, which is sufficient to stop AR-15 or AK-47 rounds. The windows were an inch thick. Terrible gas mileage, though, as the vehicle was rather heavy.

I never needed it to do what it was intended to do, but it did offer some peace of mind. Most strife in India is aimed at a specific ethnicity, such as Hindus against SIkhs or Moslems, but madness can get out of hand and violence get aimed at targets of opportunity. The neighborhood was quite upscale (Prithviraj/Amrita Shergill Marg area), so others in the area took similar steps in the event of unrest. Better safe than sorry.

In my residence I installed a massive steal door on a panic room. The entire frame had to be removed and replaced with a steal frame to support the weight.

In the end, the biggest threat came from the two seasonal migrations of the giant fruit bats. Each night about 1930 they would flock over my residence. They are known to carry all sorts of diseases, but they are spectacular to watch. I had a flat roof home and a spiral staircase leading to the roof. In the evening I would take a glass of wine up there and await their evening movement to Lodi Gardens or wherever mangoes were in season. They can have a wingspan up to six feet (180 cm), but most who flew over me were in the 3' to 4' range. Each night thousands would fly maybe 10 meters above my head. Horror movie stuff, but quite cool.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

I guess i'm an exception to the rule then.

Wanna get your bank statements out and we can have a 'who's the richest' then.

I guarantee you will be leaving red faced.

Anyone talking about comparing bank statements can't have much....

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, as we all know, Kurt Vonnegut probably lost his mind several years before he lost his life:  https://www.heraldscotland.com/default_content/12775092.kurt-vonnegut-writers-writer-dies-brain-injuries/

This is the Catch-22.

The longer we live, and who does not long to live longer, the more likely we are to die a tragic death.

Heller and Vonnegut.

Two great writers.

Two friends who were rich.

One is now on Saturn.

The other wrote No Laughing Matter.

Heller had many rich friends, like Hoffman, Puzo and Brooks.

But, when your time is up, it's up.

image.png.231c41418b61add1885f70c9c0177523.png

Ok, you turned around that nicely. What in the world in my quote was referring to when time is up? By the way, thank you for the lesson about 2 rich guys.

I think for a lot of people, running a company becomes a game of sorts. I believe that once most people have several to twenty million US, earning money becomes somewhat entertaining, but they still generally live mostly normal lives. I imagine once people have over a hundred million US, it becomes much more difficult to live normally. 

I have quite a few friends in the several to twenty million category, but I can only think of a couple people I "know" in the hundred million plus range, but I do not know them well enough to call them friends. It has been my experience that "rich" people are and nice and fun to be around as anyone else. 

Having money will not necessarily make you happy, or make your life better, but it does generally make life a lot easier. 

"Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have." 

• 2 weeks later...