Do You Have Rich Friends?

Prubangboy

40 minutes ago, pomchop said:

At a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island, Kurt Vonnegut informs his pal, Joseph Heller, that their host, a hedge fund manager, had made more money in a single day than Heller had earned from his wildly popular novel Catch-22 over its whole history.

Heller responds,“Yes, but I have something he will never have — ENOUGH.”

Exactly.

Paige VanZant says she makes more money in a single day on OnlyFans that she made in her entire, successful MMA career.

i have a relative with this problem. they have a close lifelong friendship with someone from a fairly wealthy family. they developed a strong sense of entitlement mixed with envy, which is common for the millenial generation.

none of the entitlement is directed at the friend, however. the entitlement is directed at immediate family members on their side, by expecting various kinds support and family gifts, etc. to afford a spendy lifestyle or live in an affulent area, or by witholding support that they should be giving. everything is manipulated so they have an advantage, basically.

envy is one of the most destructive emotions. one of the cardinal sins.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

As the thread is about rich friends it is all about money. My guess would be that he had enough money. Mostly relating to that his money was safe in the bank, which is not usual for a hedge fund manager where many suddenly lose everything in a couple of hours.

Well, as we all know, Kurt Vonnegut probably lost his mind several years before he lost his life:  https://www.heraldscotland.com/default_content/12775092.kurt-vonnegut-writers-writer-dies-brain-injuries/

This is the Catch-22.

The longer we live, and who does not long to live longer, the more likely we are to die a tragic death.

Heller and Vonnegut.

Two great writers.

Two friends who were rich.

One is now on Saturn.

The other wrote No Laughing Matter.

Heller had many rich friends, like Hoffman, Puzo and Brooks.

But, when your time is up, it's up.

image.png.231c41418b61add1885f70c9c0177523.png

2 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Do you find that you escape classism by living in Thailand? I def do.

There is not much classism in the country where I grew up.

Thailand is obviously hierarchical, and Thais can't escape this system.

Farangs are mostly out of the hierarchy, they can mingle with low class and high class in Thailand - at least in Theory.

And if we are part of a class, or rich and poor, then obviously it's more fun to be in the higher part. 

Many Thais try to please the farangs. I don't really know why, but I don't complain about it. And I don't have a problem if they don't do it. 

2 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I guess you have never left your wallet at home. One of my friends (family owned the business that made children's coats) Had a favorite saying when it can to money "Is there anything I can say that will help."

Ok, I didn't think about that option when I wrote above.

Actually, recently I forgot my wallet at home, and I was on the way to drink a coffee in my usual place.

I thought about if they would let me pay the next day, and I am 90% sure they would let me get away without paying one day. At that occasion I thought about other places where I go regularly, and I am pretty sure all of them wouldn't insist on payment right away.

But then my girlfriend reminded me that I have my phone and can pay with my banking app. That's what I did. Otherwise, my gf would have paid.

Coming back to above, I am sure all my friends would without hesitation pay for my coffee or dinner, if I would tell them I forgot my wallet. If they wouldn't do that (if they are able to do it) then I wouldn't call them my friends. 

13 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

"Likewise, when I was rich, my humble beginnings were always present."

Why aren't you anymore? Why don't you have more now than before? Is this something that was 30 years ago. 

I retired from being rich. It was too much work. I like living in an older condo and ordering in now. That's like being stealth-rich. 

Money brings neurosis. Like in my expensive stove example, I'm no saner than the other expensive stove head cases. I still:

1) feel I have to justify it (my wife wants it) 

2) want the stove-guy to think well of me. 

I was hoping for more funny money neurosis stories. My neighbor just bought a truck that he "needed". Because he very occasionally likes to do a DIY project or two.

But did he need a truck that you need a step ladder to get into? I know the affluence-drill, so I went with, "I'll bet your kids love it".

'Yeah", he said, "I bought it for the kids".

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Painfully honest article in The Guardian about how wealth inequality strains friendships. Interesting: 88% of Millenials will go into debt after spending time with richer friends. The FOMO is strong.

I am the most set up of all the people I know. One thing I learned, is that poor people don't want to hear my fake humility or protestations of thrift.

I changed careers from a $1,000 suit job to a $200 suit job. I knew not to wear the old suits, but I couldn't resist keeping the $200 ties. So I was back to square one. I was still clearly monied. It oozed out of every posh pore of me. Likewise, when I was rich, my humble beginnings were always present.

What's your favorite rich person faux-humility gesture? What's your favorite poor nouvelle rich over-reach?

Do you have richer/poorer friends? How does wealth inequality affect your relationships with Thai people?

I pretested this thread with NextG. He had this to say:

"Whether I haver richer, poorer, or indeed ANY friends, is neither here nor there. Why are you assuming? The witness protection program I'm in doesn't allow me to say anything. Are you trying to get my credit card number?

your op is not worth any reply. Just saying bye

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

I have a Thai friend who owns a US$2.5 billion company. He travels around in a bullet-proof van, because he had someone try and kill him over corporate competition. I would never change places with him.

This is what often confuses me.

If i were in his position i'd sell the company and live an anonymous existence......very happily.

Why bother with the hassle. 

Just now, bob smith said:

I guess i'm an exception to the rule then.

Wanna get your bank statements out and we can have a 'who's the richest' then.

I guarantee you will be leaving red faced.

Why do you want to turn it into a competition?

I've nothing to prove to you or anyone else.

Now, jog on buttercup, go and get your small warm chang.

• Haha 1

Just now, PJ71 said:

If i were in his position i'd sell the company and live an anonymous existence......very happily.

Probably because he wants to own a US$5 billion company. For some people, enough is never enough.

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Kid Rock was asked how he avoided the paparazzi. He said "I moved to upstate Michigan. Easy". 

Like I said, before the usual descent into autistic morass, do you feel that moving to Thailand gave you a class-reset?