Thai salon under fire for 7000 baht hair treatment shocker

webfact

image.jpeg

A customer’s shocked post on social media about a hair salon’s inflated price has drawn the attention and criticism of netizens. Today (November 14), the disgruntled customer took to social media to express her surprise at a hair treatment bill of 7,000 baht (US$195), which was significantly higher than the salon’s advertised prices.

The customer posted a picture and wrote that she didn’t understand why the price at the time of payment was drastically different from the advertised price.

All she had done was straighten and colour her hair, without any additional treatments as reported by Khao Sod. The final bill of 7,000 baht left her in shock as she had never encountered such a high price for a hair salon service. She questioned what made the services so expensive, especially since no bleaching was involved.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of Khao Sod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, connda said:

Does Thailand even have a functioning Consumer's Protection agency?

Yes, you can register a complaint online and they will deal with it. I had an issue with Lazada refusing to refund for goods sent back in time and in good condition. They contacted Lazada and told them to refund me, which they did. 

Edited by PremiumLane

Many years back when I was learning the Thai language, I went to a barber shop just as he was finishing up cutting a Thai man's hair, in Thai the customer asked how much (Taoli khap), the reply was "Jet sip", I was next in line and just to test the waters, I asked in English "How much?' the barber replied in English "One hundred baht", I laughed a little and in Thai replied "Mai ow khap" and left.  

Well, as far as I can tell, she didn't pay 7,000 - she was just "shocked". So perhaps, just perhaps, there was a typo as the clerk typed in 7000 instead of 700 on the POS machine. Or perhaps there was some other credible mistake that occurred. Normally when a shop is responsible in these stories there's some form of argument reported etc. This seems like a nothing story to me. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bbko said:

Many years back when I was learning the Thai language, I went to a barber shop just as he was finishing up cutting a Thai man's hair, in Thai the customer asked how much (Taoli khap), the reply was "Jet sip", I was next in line and just to test the waters, I asked in English "How much?' the barber replied in English "One hundred baht", I laughed a little and in Thai replied "Mai ow khap" and left.  

As A Thai speaker myself I would have said that the last bloke paid ฿70 and that is the price I will pay you. Chances are he would have smiled and agreed.

What is the point of learning Thai if you are not going to use it to your advantage?