Thailand's Immigration Launches Automated Passport Control

webfact

I used the departure and arrival automatic gates as permanent residents can register their passports (no tourists). Believe me, it is much faster.

On the other hand, the automatic gates also have staff standing there to help so it doesn't really free up many immigration police.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

"Tourists are rejoicing" ... I have my doubts

My experience is that the biggest impediment to getting through to a departure gate is the scanners and luggage check - not immigration! :clap2:

On arrival ... now I can (maybe) get my passport processed quickly and then begin to complain about how long I have to wait for my luggage. :smile:

Travel lighter .... hand luggage only  .... a good solution when you have a home here

37 minutes ago, malibukid said:

how about Don Muang?

"Continuing developments include the procurement of new Automated Channel systems by the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (AOT) to replace the 12-year-old systems at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports."

Both International airports in Bangkok according to the article.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourists can rejoice as the Immigration Bureau of Thailand responds to Prime Minister Setha Thavisin's policy by introducing an automated passport control system at Suvarnabhumi Airport, starting December 15th.

Tourists can rejoice, Thailand is finally embracing some technology.

I wish Immigration would speed up the annual Marriage Visa renewal. It still takes one officer 50+ minutes to type the same information about my wife and me and not save it, and then stamp, stamp, and stamp all the documents. Then comes the home visit 4 days later when the 2 officers type out the same information and take the same photos. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The UK Heathrow departure immigration system does not even exist, check in with airline who will do the check for a visa/overstay etc.. if necessary. get boarding pass, go directly to gate, where your boarding is scanned, and off you go.   That's in the real world

In the UK, the airline doesn't check for overstay. They solely concern themselves with whether you have the right to enter the country you're flying to.

Think of dual nationals flying to one of their "home" countries. They will check in with the airline with their passport for that country, but it's not necessarily going to be the same passport they entered the UK on.

Not checking passports when leaving the country is why the UK has no idea how many overstayers there are.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The UK Heathrow departure immigration system does not even exist, check in with airline who will do the check for a visa/overstay etc.. if necessary. get boarding pass, go directly to gate, where your boarding is scanned, and off you go.   That's in the real world

Newcastle and Teesside the same, no Passport checks when you leave the country although they can do spot checks.

We got ‘stuck’ in the U.K. for 15 months due to Covid travelling restrictions, my Thai wife was on a 6 month Visitor Visa. When we left the U.K. no questions were asked when she checked in about overstay.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

In the UK, the airline doesn't check for overstay. They solely concern themselves with whether you have the right to enter the country you're flying to.

Think of dual nationals flying to one of their "home" countries. They will check in with the airline with their passport for that country, but it's not necessarily going to be the same passport they entered the UK on.

Not checking passports when leaving the country is why the UK has no idea how many overstayers there are.

Yes I know I have done exactly that. 

As I said the AIRLINE checks your PP and if you have overstayed or not will inform immigration. 

Many YouTube vids on UK immigration police on home visits busting overstayers, how can one overstay if you entered on a UK PP ?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Newcastle and Teesside the same, no Passport checks when you leave the country although they can do spot checks.

We got ‘stuck’ in the U.K. for 15 months due to Covid travelling restrictions, my Thai wife was on a 6 month Visitor Visa. When we left the U.K. no questions were asked when she checked in about overstay.

That is probably becoz airline staff were fully aware of the covid situation, and those there, were not forced to go to Immigration for an extension, and your wife didn't have to do 90day reports or have anybody report her staying within 24 hrs. I think education is the reason :giggle:

No it's not. This isn't for check-in. It's for immigration.

It would presumably mean no exit stamp in your passport. How important that is for you is a different matter.

I’m assuming your exit date will automatically be registered on their computers ?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

That is probably becoz airline staff were fully aware of the covid situation, and those there, were not forced to go to Immigration for an extension, and your wife didn't have to do 90day reports or have anybody report her staying within 24 hrs. I think education is the reason :giggle:

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

The check in staff only check if you have the correct visa, documentation etc to enter the country you are travelling to, they don’t look through your passport pages looking for stamps, it’s not in their mandate.
We did advise Border Control of the overstay every month but all we had were emails confirming it was ok. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the UK, the airline doesn't check for overstay.

You are probably right, your leaving anyway so why bother, with the man hours or fines, and all the other BS involved, what if you don't say have 500pounds to pay a fine, lock you up? costing the system even more cash. UK cops don't need photo ops wasting even more man hours, they just get on with their job.

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

But you will be heading to the Departure Gate and long gone before they if they ever do get round to checking the scanning machines.

You won't be heading anywhere, far less the departure gate if the E gates don't open. They will be programmed to only open if everything checks out, and that is not a 100%.

Many struggle to get E gates to open with a boarding card far less a passport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

You won't be heading anywhere, far less the departure gate if the E gates don't open. They will be programmed to only open if everything checks out, and that is not a 100%.

Many struggle to get E gates to open with a boarding card far less a passport.

It’s only scanning your personal details, there might be system in place if you are on a wanted list and the gates won’t open.

9 times out of 10 my passport for some reason never opens the gates in the U.K. and I have to get it checked manually.

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The Australian one often doesn't work. Curious, how long the Thai one will be in service...

And then the dreaded quarantine laws. "You have any lollys'' er no they would have melted :giggle: "why you have big bag?'' next trip ''why you have small bag?''. Boarding "YOU SAID YOU NOT HAVE COMMPUTER !"   I don't it's a DVD player on and on the power trip goes. I would NEVER want to live there again. I'd rather live in the UK. but thanks for the PP OZ.:giggle:

• Like 1