Vibhavadi road accident: Fatal big bike crash stirs public concern

webfact

image.jpeg

A fatal road accident that occurred around 4.30am today, saw a young man on a big bike collide with a parked sedan on Vibhavadi Road, resulting in a fatality. The accident was reported to Police Captain Kajorndet Bunma, Deputy Investigation Officer at Vibhavadi Police Station.

The Vibhavadi road accident took place near the 238th toll booth on the Vibhavadi-Rangsit inbound lane. A grey Honda Civic, registration number ชถ9615 Bangkok, was found parked across the road. The vehicle had suffered significant damage, with its left rear door crushed, right rear tyre burst, front bumper dislodged and both front tyres burst.

The driver, 22 year old Worachit, was found waiting to give a statement to the police. Nearby, a fallen Honda CBR 650 R big bike, registration number 1 ขท 8735 Bangkok, was found with its front section crushed, front shock absorber bent, alloy wheel and tyre burst, and a full-face grey helmet lying around.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Photo: KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Big bikes used to be the vehicle of choice for ex-pats mainly and often on the routes South from Hua Hin to oil related destinations, where they worked or transited offshore to the Gulf of Thailand.
After being out of Thailand for majority of the Covid period, I see on returning that a lot of locals have big bikes now and indeed some very shapely young leather clad ladies amongst them! 
I suspect that road users in general are not used to the speed and lower visibility of these bikes, in common with many other countries. 
My wife’s male cousin owned a big bike several years ago, in the Ubon Ratchathani area. Unfortunately he too fell victim in a road accident, leaving a young wife and two young kids without a husband and father. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Donbuie3 said:

Big bikes used to be the vehicle of choice for ex-pats mainly and often on the routes South from Hua Hin to oil related destinations, where they worked or transited offshore to the Gulf of Thailand.
After being out of Thailand for majority of the Covid period, I see on returning that a lot of locals have big bikes now and indeed some very shapely young leather clad ladies amongst them! 
I suspect that road users in general are not used to the speed and lower visibility of these bikes, in common with many other countries. 
My wife’s male cousin owned a big bike several years ago, in the Ubon Ratchathani area. Unfortunately he too fell victim in a road accident, leaving a young wife and two young kids without a husband and father. 

Nothing wrong with the bikes if ridden sensibly, sadly missing in Thailand that's why there are so many accidents and deaths.

• 2 weeks later...