Why did you leave Australia to come to Thailand ?

Just interested to start a fresh topic if it already hasn't been covered.

Why did you leave Australia ?

What year did you arrive here ?

Any regrets ?

How has it turned out in the time you have been here ?

Are you on the age pension or self fund your retirement ?

Do you go back for a holiday/break ?

Would you ever return ?

For me, I am content here.

I left Australia because I was sick and tired of all the BS with government departments, the over the top policing of speed on the roads, all types of cameras, seat belt and mobile phone infringements, etc etc. The taxes that I paid going to scumbags who rort the system, and politicians being able to also rort the system, for the good of the country.

No regrets

Perfect, a few ups and downs trying to adjust, but have learned to let go with trivial things and just do as the Thai's do.

Self funded

I go back every 2-3 years for a short trip with the family to see family and friends, albeit it I only see a select close tribe of friends as I also like to travel around and see the places I used to see when I was younger.

No, But if I won the lottery and could afford to have a place there, I would return for a holiday at my choosing, e.g. once, twice a year for a month max.

Lets stay on topic, otherwise move along please.

• Like 1

I'm very similar to the poster above.

I left in 2010 for many reasons - I found myself living the single life after early retirement and a separation from a long-term GF. A health scare made me rethink singularity. On one of my many visits to Thailand I met a Thai lady and decided the lifestyle with her was much more to my liking than where I saw Australia, and my place in it, heading.

I could see the mindless majority there believing the lies of the religious conservatives, led by a disgusting worm named Abbott, and wanted no part of their vision of a return to the dark ages, while plundering my taxes for the benefit of a privileged few. 

My parents, sibling and other relatives were all dead and my children were living their lives in different parts of the country and rarely in direct contact. 

Moving to Thailand was a no brainer despite some of their stupid rules and frustrations we're all familiar with. I sold the house and chattels and gave everything else away, arriving with a suitcase, a laptop and a bank card. I am a little concerned about possible useless compulsory health insurance, and double taxation, but will wear it because at 75 I'm not moving again.

I'm fully self-funded, never applied for the OAP and my money buys a lot more here than in Australia particularly because inflation there far exceeds that of Thailand. I haven't been back, the few people there still in my life have visited me here multiple times. 

I (we) own several houses and numerous farming properties and are building up a rural business that will support my wife and her family long after my ashes have dissipated in the wind.

• Thanks 2

I first came here in 1999, had been divorced a year before and turned to solitude and drink. Only out time was working 12 to 14 hour days. My daughter could see me spiraling and talked me into going overseas and getting laid. Booked a week in Jomtien and a week in Chiangmai, got laid a lot. Went back to Aus and started saving for the jump, several holiday trips to Thailand each year to scratch the itch.

On October 6 2006 I left Aus for good, lived in BKK, P'lok and Ubon where I met the wife. We went to Aus years ago so the oldies could meet my princess. They have both passed and have no intention of going back.

• Thanks 2

On 11/23/2023 at 4:21 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The only serious negative here is how I am treated by the Thai Immigration 'system' - not by the people.  I have to 'report' like a parolled criminal every 90 days, complete a TM30/28 whenever I holiday somewhere or change my address, request permission to leave and re-enter when we decide to holiday outside Thailand, request permission to stay another 12 months.  And I have to do that all again, and again, and again.  But in return I get zero legal rights and no Govt benefits, and I am forced to pay extra for things because I am not Thai.  We budget to spend about 1 Million Baht every year in Thailand, and that I have to go through all of that is seriously annoying.  Meanwhile they beg and plead and throw offers at Chinese Russian Indian etc. tourists to come to Thailand and spend 50K Baht each (on average). I am worth 20,000 Tourists and I am here all year every year - and there are a lot of Expats just like me - and in the years when we buy a car or a house/condo, we spend a lot more.  Effin annoying. 

I have to agree with you on the above, however, from where I'm coming from, it helps to not react to their behind the times rules, as a mate always used to say to me when I would get peed off with work chopping and changing things when they worked just fine, he said, m8, it is what it is, and it took a long time for it to sink in because of my frustration with the situation, i.e. not accepting that it was what it was, so what he was saying to me was, getting all worked up about it isn't going to change it, so just take it on the chin, that said, I know where your coming from. For me, I do the annual marriage extension, very organised, most things saved on my laptop so just print them off and take the originals, yes a lot of paperwork, but I don't do it all in one day, I pace myself, a little today, a little tomorrow and so on and so forth, then we have the bank visit for the letter, so I do the picture place at the same time a few doors up and the Amphur for the, yes were still married piece of paper.

Things could be so simplified, but you have to understand the culture, i.e. if someone comes up with an idea and takes it to their boss, they will be frowned upon, because their boss would see it as saying, I'm smarter than you, instead of great idea, promotion.

The 90 days on line is so easy now that they have a new system, even get a reminder to complete it, however I don't rely on it, that said, depending on the office, some still want you to report when you go to another province, and yes the re-entry visa is a little tiring. That said, I live about an 1 hour 20 from the immigration department and twice I returned to get my stamp on the due date and they said, no have, so wasted my time/petrol only to return a couple of days later after calling them 1st to make sure it was there, you'd think after 45 days they'd have it wouldn't you. I now call before I go, F them. Also had to pay a 500 baht fee which should be free to get my stamps transferred to my new passport, yes it's a dogs breakfast, "but it is, what it is" :)

I just let go and my wife agrees that Thai's are dumb F's, as she spend a decade with me in Oz and saw how things work smoothly.

This upcoming possible income tax imposition is IMO a deal-breaker.  If I am forced to pay income taxes, given all I go through as detailed in the previous paragraph, then we are leaving Thailand. 

Amen to that, my wife and kids also have Australian Citizenships, so if they want to tax me, then they will also be 1 million baht down a year from my contribution to their economy.

with regards to Thai health insurances we refuse to pay for something that is not worth the money paid, and which is not guaranteed or regulated, and which will inevitably involve massively increased annual premiums as I get older. We are self-funded in that we have a separate bank account with a pool of funds for 'emergencies' - including medical.

I hear you loud and clear, same here, I started off with private health cover, but after 4 years and no claims, it doubled, while it was also increasing every year, mine and the families separate one, so I cancelled them and also self insure, built up a nice nest egg in the 4 years as I put 250,000 baht aside a year vs paying that to them, I also have my savings to dip into if need be, and outside of an emergency, it's pretty cheap in my experience at private hospitals.

Yes I love the place and want to stay - but there are reasons we would leave. 

Try not to let others spoil it for you, just play the game, know what to expect, and duck and weave, but never throw a punch, so to speak as we must control the ball that they throw at us, e.g. incoming, catch it, and drop it, not playing your game :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have to agree with you on the above, however, from where I'm coming from, it helps to not react to their behind the times rules, as a mate always used to say to me when I would get peed off with work chopping and changing things when they worked just fine, he said, m8, it is what it is, and it took a long time for it to sink in because of my frustration with the situation, i.e. not accepting that it was what it was, so what he was saying to me was, getting all worked up about it isn't going to change it, so just take it on the chin, that said, I know where your coming from. For me, I do the annual marriage extension, very organised, most things saved on my laptop so just print them off and take the originals, yes a lot of paperwork, but I don't do it all in one day, I pace myself, a little today, a little tomorrow and so on and so forth, then we have the bank visit for the letter, so I do the picture place at the same time a few doors up and the Amphur for the, yes were still married piece of paper.

Things could be so simplified, but you have to understand the culture, i.e. if someone comes up with an idea and takes it to their boss, they will be frowned upon, because their boss would see it as saying, I'm smarter than you, instead of great idea, promotion.

The 90 days on line is so easy now that they have a new system, even get a reminder to complete it, however I don't rely on it, that said, depending on the office, some still want you to report when you go to another province, and yes the re-entry visa is a little tiring. That said, I live about an 1 hour 20 from the immigration department and twice I returned to get my stamp on the due date and they said, no have, so wasted my time/petrol only to return a couple of days later after calling them 1st to make sure it was there, you'd think after 45 days they'd have it wouldn't you. I now call before I go, F them. Also had to pay a 500 baht fee which should be free to get my stamps transferred to my new passport, yes it's a dogs breakfast, "but it is, what it is" :)

I just let go and my wife agrees that Thai's are dumb F's, as she spend a decade with me in Oz and saw how things work smoothly.

Amen to that, my wife and kids also have Australian Citizenships, so if they want to tax me, then they will also be 1 million baht down a year from my contribution to their economy.

I hear you loud and clear, same here, I started off with private health cover, but after 4 years and no claims, it doubled, while it was also increasing every year, mine and the families separate one, so I cancelled them and also self insure, built up a nice nest egg in the 4 years as I put 250,000 baht aside a year vs paying that to them, I also have my savings to dip into if need be, and outside of an emergency, it's pretty cheap in my experience at private hospitals.

Try not to let others spoil it for you, just play the game, know what to expect, and duck and weave, but never throw a punch, so to speak as we must control the ball that they throw at us, e.g. incoming, catch it, and drop it, not playing your game :)

Well said Mate - agree with everything you say.

As you say, it can be very frustrating and annoying, but it is what it is and the Thai wife keeps me calm and on an even keel. Many advantages to having a good Thai wife, and dealing with Thai bureacrats is just one of them.

Regarding medical insuarnce, I knew a bloke (passed now) that started here as mid-70s and paid the ever increasing premiums, but when he started getting some medical bills they would 'fight' - his Thai wife dealt with them.  And when when he hit 80 they refused to provide cover, and no one else would accept him.

Yes mate I will take it all and keep smiling - but my 'terminal limit' is if they impose income taxes on me (unless it is a very minor amount). 

If/when that happens we will be living somewhere else - I refuse to pay income taxes to a country that treats me like a criminal/tourist.

And for the 'end game', we will then go back to Aust with both getting the pension - subsidised housing and rental subsidies - free nursing support programs - free/subsidised medications - free hospital services - and so many other freebies and benefits (rather than spending all our money here on that stuff). And then when it is all over, the wife will come back to Thailand and have plenty of money to see our her final years and pass on to the family. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Well said Mate - agree with everything you say.

As you say, it can be very frustrating and annoying, but it is what it is and the Thai wife keeps me calm and on an even keel. Many advantages to having a good Thai wife, and dealing with Thai bureacrats is just one of them.

Regarding medical insuarnce, I knew a bloke (passed now) that started here as mid-70s and paid the ever increasing premiums, but when he started getting some medical bills they would 'fight' - his Thai wife dealt with them.  And when when he hit 80 they refused to provide cover, and no one else would accept him.

Yes mate I will take it all and keep smiling - but my 'terminal limit' is if they impose income taxes on me (unless it is a very minor amount). 

If/when that happens we will be living somewhere else - I refuse to pay income taxes to a country that treats me like a criminal/tourist.

And for the 'end game', we will then go back to Aust with both getting the pension - subsidised housing and rental subsidies - free nursing support programs - free/subsidised medications - free hospital services - and so many other freebies and benefits (rather than spending all our money here on that stuff). And then when it is all over, the wife will come back to Thailand and have plenty of money to see our her final years and pass on to the family. 

Wow, a 'nobody outsmarts me / tricks me' attitude.

Bottom line is some folks display this attitude way beyond what is needed or valuable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sigh...you blokes rambling on about getting taxed....yawn....

Thailand is just one of the 41 countries that Australia currently holds bilateral agreements with. The key purpose of this treaty is to prevent Australian citizens from paying double taxation while residing in Thailand.

• Love It 1

Just now, scorecard said:

Wow, a 'nobody outsmarts me / tricks me' attitude.

Bottom line is some folks display this attitude way beyond what is needed or valuable.

Regarding 'imposing income taxes' for foreigners living here on state pensions (only state pensions) there's 99.9% chance that nothing will happen at all.

As usual it's taking a long time to flesh out the full details, reality is 'wait and see' and no need for any panic. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Regarding 'imposing income taxes' for foreigners living here on state pensions (only state pensions) there's 99.9% chance that nothing will happen at all.

As usual it's taking a long time to flesh out the full details, reality is 'wait and see' and no need for any panic. 

You answer your own posts???

12 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I don't believe they treat us like criminals, fact of the matter if you ask me is that there could be jealousy as we farang are supposedly rich, pulling tens of thousands of dollars out of ATM  machines, building Thai g/f's & wives castles, where the average Somchai can't. It is what it is, they have a system in place, we don't have to like it, but have to abide by it, as we do back home. Don't get your nickers in a knot, as Australia has a treaty with Thailand to minimise us paying taxes to them, if any. Wait & see approach, frankly I believe it won't effect us at all.

12 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

We all have to have a plan B in place, any yes Australia does provide those things, but don't forget there are waiting periods and it is a very expensive country to live in Vs here, and last time I recall, I did refer to it as a Nanny State, so no where is perfect, you just have to weigh up which one is more suitable to your needs, deal with the BS and don't let it get to you, Australia isn't for me, hence the reason I am here, bureaucracy and all, which I believe is a worldwide phenomenon, i.e. there is no perfect where there is governments', they are corporations. 

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't believe they treat us like criminals, fact of the matter if you ask me is that there could be jealousy as we farang are supposedly rich, pulling tens of thousands of dollars out of ATM  machines, building Thai g/f's & wives castles, where the average Somchai can't. It is what it is, they have a system in place, we don't have to like it, but have to abide by it, as we do back home. Don't get your nickers in a knot, as Australia has a treaty with Thailand to minimise us paying taxes to them, if any. Wait & see approach, frankly I believe it won't effect us at all.

We all have to have a plan B in place, any yes Australia does provide those things, but don't forget there are waiting periods and it is a very expensive country to live in Vs here, and last time I recall, I did refer to it as a Nanny State, so no where is perfect, you just have to weigh up which one is more suitable to your needs, deal with the BS and don't let it get to you, Australia isn't for me, hence the reason I am here, bureaucracy and all, which I believe is a worldwide phenomenon, i.e. there is no perfect where there is governments', they are corporations. 

They dont treat us like Thai crminals, but they do treat us like western criminals who have been released from prison on early parole. I knew a guy who went off the rails, and many years later met him again. He had finally settled down but he was in that situation - reporting to local police every 2 months, not allowed to move without permission, not allowed to leave country without permission, and living with the worry hanging over his head that if he <deleted> up over the next 2 years he will be going back to jail. That is what I meant - and that is worse, but it is like Thailand treats Expats.  Now I am not saying that really annoys me - only when I think about it - as you said, I have learned to accept it and to go with the flow - and having a Thai wife to handle all that and one of her friends being an Agent married to a senior Policeman, definitely helps (but it is still wrong - but I will shut up now).

I hear you - nanny state with oppressive control of our daily lives to keep us all safe - one of the main reason we left too. But it will be different when I am 80+ and can hardly walk cannot play golf and am on medications and getting lots of scans and tests (like both my parents did for their last 5-10 years of life). In Australia all that is free or minimal cost - here in Thailand that will cost a small fortune. When I am no longer living 'outside' and dealing with all that khrapp every day, it will be easy to let it all go and go with the flow, when I am inside most days and only go for walks in the garden and watch TV and read books etc etc.  But that will take some planning and organising to move there, so it may not happen.  As you said - Plan B.  

On 11/16/2023 at 9:30 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Just interested to start a fresh topic if it already hasn't been covered.

Why did you leave Australia ?  I left Australia in 1991 after getting an overseas secondment to HK from my employer in Sydney; and after my first visit to Thailandin 1992 I then started positioning myself for a transfer to Bangkok office. That finally paid off in 2008 when I was seconded from Singapore to Bangkok and in the same year I bought my home/ condo in Bangkok where I have stayed ever since (married to a Thai since 2001).

What year did you arrive here ? Arrived permanently in 2008.

Any regrets ? None whatsoever.

How has it turned out in the time you have been here ? No, not even remotely how I had envisaged it. I've had some ups and downs but currently all is well.

Are you on the age pension or self fund your retirement ? Fully self funded.

Do you go back for a holiday/break ? No.

Would you ever return ? Never.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I left Australia because I was just sick of listening to people talk about property.

Anytime I was with one of more people, in any setting, work, social etc.  The conversation would always get channeled into a discussion of realestate.

Try working in the industry through all levels, Property Management, Property Sales and last but not least Valuation industry. 

What I learned in my 35 career was that regardless of the 6 figure salary you make, after studying and completing 2 degrees, once the tax is paid out, Medicare levy, mortgage repayment, Council rates, Water rates, food, electricity, gas, car insurance, maintenance, petrol, etc etc, your left with enough for an overseas holiday, so sacrificing that and purchasing property at the right time, does help you retire earlier in life as the market does climb, leaving you with enough money to see you through till your 101 when you also sell at the right time....... :sorry:

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

They dont treat us like Thai crminals, but they do treat us like western criminals who have been released from prison on early parole. 

I don't feel that way, I feel like a King, no money issues, do how I please, go where I please, and play by their rules, same as I would back in the Nanny State, and when I look down, if I have to, I see ants at my feet that don't bother me.

Remember, it is what it is, and it's all about how you look at things, so don't allow ants to bother you.

:stoner:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't feel that way, I feel like a King, no money issues, do how I please, go where I please, and play by their rules, same as I would back in the Nanny State, and when I look down, if I have to, I see ants at my feet that don't bother me.

Remember, it is what it is, and it's all about how you look at things, so don't allow ants to bother you.

Good advice and I agree overall - but I will give you some back.

Snakes live on the ground where those ants are too - but unlike the ants they tend to hide - and you only find out they are there when they bite you.  Likewise, I would not ignore those big red 'fire ants' (mod-kun-fai) - they can bite very badly. 

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Good advice and I agree overall - but I will give you some back.

Snakes live on the ground where those ants are too - but unlike the ants they tend to hide - and you only find out they are there when they bite you.  Likewise, I would not ignore those big red 'fire ants' (mod-kun-fai) - they can bite very badly. 

There are tree snakes. https://www.en.siam-info.de/venomous_animals/snakes/chrysopelea.html

• Haha 2

On 11/28/2023 at 1:46 AM, JimHuaHin said:

Why did you leave Australia ? - Too difficult to live there on the pension.

What year did you arrive here ? - First time 1974; to retire a decade ago.

Any regrets ? - Not many.

How has it turned out in the time you have been here ? - Not as well as I had hoped, but I have survived.

Are you on the age pension or self fund your retirement ? - Super.

Do you go back for a holiday/break ? - Never; no reason to; no family, most friends are dead.

Would you ever return ? - Unlikely.

I appreciate your honesty.

Can you name one thing, pick anything, that you miss about Australia?