Former PM Prayut’s wealth increases by Bt1.5 million over nine years

snoop1130

I DONT LIKE HIM, but  he was not corrupt ( thats why he stayed so long) and only may accept benefits, even no prooof their outside. their are stories around years ago about northern gulf petroleum an offshore company ,where his close friends involved, so i guess that their some offshorecompanys related to him overseas

by the way other politicans , not only in thailand ,would not increase by 1.9 mb baht ,its even not worth to mention  the summ, they would have done in minimum 000 more

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I don't think I have suffered personally as a direct result of Prayut's time in office and I fail to see how anybody else has really. So I find the constant anti Prayut sentiment by a few on here difficult to understand. 

It was particularly bizarre at the time of the elections with some posters on here getting very emotional,  whinging on and on about "democracy" and the "will of the Thai people" some even deciding who their wives  "should " vote for and in some cases suggesting that others should advise their wives to do the same  !   all for the praiseworthy reasons of furthering democracy and "dragging Thailand into the 21st century" 

I doubt any of those geriatric wannabe  political activists had the slightest idea what any of the political parties really stood for,( Most Thais don't)     But having partially informed themselves via social media and the english  mainstream media, the key board warriors now,   laughingly, felt that they were  qualified to voice their ill formed opinions and indulge in a bit of lefty "pro democracy" virtue signalling

Not unlike the great unwashed currently active in London shouting "from the river to the sea" who when questioned don't have a clue which river or which sea are being referred to, or indeed any knowledge of Israeli- Palestinian history

Several other posters, myself included, tried to suggest being careful what one wishes for, and  that a "better the devil you know" attitude might be more appropriate, regarding who governs this place,  but predictably we were turned on by the usual "woke"  mob,  "fascist" and "junta lover"  just some of the insults I kid you not

So I too hope those tossers are happy now, What with the disappearance of multiple entry Non o visas and the proposed new tax return requirements just around the corner,

One things for sure, they've all gone very quiet

You have got to be kidding. Thailand's days as a tourist mecca are behind it now. They will have to live on scraps. None of the myriad of issues that existed long before Covid have been addressed, and the quality of tourist Thailand attracts has been declining for years. Nearly anyone in the industry will attest to that. Few tourists will be interested in visiting a Quaker state, built on a foundation of fake purity, stripped of its character, by fools who know nothing about anything.

The recession that is likely coming next year will not help. But, a lot of Thailand's current economic woes are largely self inflicted. This exceedingly reckless administration engaged in multiple, highly selective economic shutdowns, that favored their cronies, and punished the masses. They also kept the nation closed off for far too long, and decimated tourism. Then they partially re-opened, with draconian restrictions.

So, if you want to put the blame in the place it belongs, blame Prayuth and Prawit. They are the architects of the downfall of Thailand, the increased suicides, homelessness, crime, unemployment, and unhappiness of the people. How and why was this disaster inflicted upon the economy? I would go one step further, and include the Prayuth decimation as one of the causes of the economic stagnation we are seeing now. This was not entirely circumstantial, and the revisionist history is already beginning, it would appear. So many things could have been done, to ensure a softer landing, when covid was not a factor anymore. The highly selective economic shutdowns which favored cronies, at the expense of the average Thai were punitive and extremely damaging, resulting in higher suicides, homelessness, crushed lives, countless lost businesses, and a further spread of the disease. 

The destruction of the tourism industry (which some might argue was a purification campaign in disguise, meant to get rid of nightlife and the sex industry) went on far longer that it should have, leading to far fewer tourists returning here, as the nation has largely been forgotten. The restriction were way too much, for far too long.

I know taking responsibility for one's actions is not exactly a strong suit here. But, Prayuth, Phiphat, Prawit, and Anutin are directly responsibility for much of the economic woes we are seeing now, and should be held responsible, and called out on this. The numbers do not even begin to reflect the amount of damage done to the cash economy, which is never counted in unemployment numbers, lost GDP, lost businesses, etc. Covid was one small factor. Irresponsible actions, an extraordinary lack of leadership, choosing a vaccine with the lowest efficacy available, refusing help from the international community with the vaccines, until it was too late, and showing extreme cowardice by keeping the door to tourism closed for far too long, and then opening with draconian restrictions, were huge mistakes, and someone needs to be held responsible.

• Love It 2

54 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

I hear he got in early with Bitcoin. 

I don't know that much about Thaksin as his time in office was maybe about a year from ending when I first came to stay here in Thailand, but when you compare it with now especially with no enforcement of this 90 day reporting treating expats like criminals on parole, among other things, to today, the immigration issues are far much worse now than they were then, especially since 2014. 

The ex unelected PM's term of office should surely be looked at as it would seem the country became much worse between 2014 and now. He should be jailed for leading an illegal coup just on it's own, never mind all that wealth he accummilated.

Spidermike007 nailed it right on with his excellent post a few post's back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That would probably be just the tip of the iceberg, of assets that are actually in his name. How about looking into the wealth of his extended family, like wife, children, in-laws and such? And I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a couple of anonymous overseas bank accounts as well….

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

So I too hope those tossers are happy now, What with the disappearance of multiple entry Non o visas and the proposed new tax return requirements just around the corner,

What is so telling is to go and look at the income tax topic (now 140 pages and growing). People are talking about turning their lives upside down, moving out of Thailand, or relocating for half a year, all because their worldwide earnings they believe might now come under Thai taxation. Wouldn't have happened with Prayuth, because of no need to pay for the digital wallet boondoggle. Prayuth essentially was committed to preserving things as they are, which included immigration but for a couple of minor adjustments. 

9 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I don't think I have suffered personally as a direct result of Prayut's time in office and I fail to see how anybody else has really. So I find the constant anti Prayut sentiment by a few on here difficult to understand. 

It was particularly bizarre at the time of the elections with some posters on here getting very emotional,  whinging on and on about "democracy" and the "will of the Thai people" some even deciding who their wives  "should " vote for and in some cases suggesting that others should advise their wives to do the same  !   all for the praiseworthy reasons of furthering democracy and "dragging Thailand into the 21st century" 

I doubt any of those geriatric wannabe  political activists had the slightest idea what any of the political parties really stood for,( Most Thais don't)     But having partially informed themselves via social media and the english  mainstream media, the key board warriors now,   laughingly, felt that they were  qualified to voice their ill formed opinions and indulge in a bit of lefty "pro democracy" virtue signalling

Not unlike the great unwashed currently active in London shouting "from the river to the sea" who when questioned don't have a clue which river or which sea are being referred to, or indeed any knowledge of Israeli- Palestinian history

Several other posters, myself included, tried to suggest being careful what one wishes for, and  that a "better the devil you know" attitude might be more appropriate, regarding who governs this place,  but predictably we were turned on by the usual "woke"  mob,  "fascist" and "junta lover"  just some of the insults I kid you not

Really "I'm OK Jack", having lived in Thailand before during and after the last two coups, I can assure you life became more difficult for expats. With many expats (my friends) leaving Thailand me included. Attitudes definatly changed against expats right after my first coup with Western teachers within thai education being kicked out and replaced by Philippine teachers. Teachers pay has infact gone down in the past 18 years. Industries leave and the list goes on and on. Backward banking and the never ending double/triple pricing aimed at foreigners. If like many who come to thailand living in their rose coloured bubble especially after investing heavily in a house etc are so happy mostly from the need they never screwed up big time. Then the cracks start appearing and it becomes harder and harder to sit abblivious to one's surroundings then bitterness creeps in and then often pushed to leave. Having a bank hold your money 800k or 400k sits OK with sum but most normal people it's a problem. I for one have a conscious and find it difficult living in a country under military rule witnessing persecution of opposition and decanting voices. People should never forget the brave nurse that was witness to the murder at the temple what persecution was thrown at her and the question I always ask where is she now? Enjoy life Jack.

Edited by BritScot
  • Confused 2
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

If these figures are to be be believed it points to a relatively  modest accumulation of wealth for somebody who held that position for 10 years.

It almost points to financial incompetence when one considers that he allegedly had investments of over 60 million baht yet only saw a return on that of 1.5 million in 10 years, Seems to have a very modest land holding too   I'm pretty sure he's got a bit more stashed away somewhere, but I seriously doubt it amounts to anything like what some of his predecessors managed to get their hands on

His new nickname is Thrifty. 

Why did Prayut need 9 guns ? I thought that he claimed that he had to continue living in the army barracks for security reasons....he couldn't have been very confident in that security if he needed 9 guns for protection.