Thai village bans road rice drying after tragic motorcycle accident

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai village headman imposed a ban on drying rice on the roads, following a fatal accident involving a young motorcyclist who collided with a pile of rice. The decision comes from understanding the predicament of both parties involved and acknowledging the traditional practices of the villagers.

The accident took place on November 23, involving 38 year old Thongthai, who rode his motorcycle into a pile of husked rice drying on the Ban Yang-Ban Sok Deu road in Ban Yang, Lam Thamenchai, Nakhon Ratchasima province.

The 56 year old headman, Apichai Pakkarang, confirmed that the incident occurred around 7pm. The villagers alerted him about the accident that happened near the rice pile, which was 2 kilometres away from the village.

Thongthai was rushed to the hospital but unfortunately did not survive. The headman expressed sorrow over the tragic event and stated that the rice belonged to a local. Following the incident, he ordered the villagers not to dry their rice on the roads for fear of another accident.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

In my experience I have seen rice drying on many minor roads in Issan.

Minor roads is the word here. Mostly within the villages or paths out to the fields. They block half of the path.

A disturbance but not a big issue.

It's a bit of a mystery how one can kill himself by riding into a pile of rice. Sleepy or careless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Muhendis said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

60 years ago the fastest thing in an Issan village was a buffalo!

29 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I learned quite a few years ago to be wary of buffalo when one is protecting a calf. Give them a wide berth!

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To be sure I understand this correctly, do the farmers put their rice on public roads, which are used for vehicles?

Are these farmers renting these roads and pay for the usage?

Do they put barriers around the rice and redirect the traffic?

How does that work?

You've never seen them for yourself?

Looking at the headline "Thai village bans road rice drying after tragic motorcycle accident"

does that mean it is legal to do this anywhere, except if the village bans it?

I didn't know that villages can make up their own traffic rules village by village. 

And do they have signs out of the village if they allow or don't allow this?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To be sure I understand this correctly, do the farmers put their rice on public roads, which are used for vehicles?

Are these farmers renting these roads and pay for the usage?

Do they put barriers around the rice and redirect the traffic?

How does that work?

1. Yes
2. No

3. No
4. It doesn´t

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking at the headline "Thai village bans road rice drying after tragic motorcycle accident"

does that mean it is legal to do this anywhere, except if the village bans it?

I didn't know that villages can make up their own traffic rules village by village. 

And do they have signs out of the village if they allow or don't allow this?

The village headman has stopped locals putting rice on the road. This is not a traffic law and I suggest is more intended as a local community safety action. It would be applicable to anyone living in that locality; there wouldnt be any need to post notices for outsiders, etc as they are highly unlikely to be putting rice on the road, and if they did the locals would soon put them straight.

• Like 1