Driving Licence Renewal - Can I do it any DLT office?

hotandsticky

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I would like to take the test in a province that is not my recorded address.

Sorry, cannot help you with that one.

I renewed mine at a different DLT office from where it was issued. But I had  moved permanently to the new Province.

I cannot even remember if I needed any other paperwork beyond a fit to drive letter, Driving Licence and Passport.

Might be helpful to find out what paperwork the DLT office you intend using requires.

Edited by The Cyclist
additional ext

I believe that you cannot do that as the licence is issued by each Province for the residents of that Province.

However, I would call the Transport Office where you want to go and ask - or better still go in and ask them.

Best if you can get a Thai to ask for you - but sometimes English is not a problem.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

Sorry, cannot help you with that one.

I renewed mine at a different DLT office from where it was issued. But I had  moved permanently to the new Province.

I cannot even remember if I needed any other paperwork beyond a fit to drive letter, Driving Licence and Passport.

Might be helpful to find out what paperwork the DLT office you intend using requires.

The DLT normally need some proof of address, like a CoR from Immigration or the yellow book (which I've used ), as I've never moved or attempted to use a different office cannot comment on that part of the question, but knowing Thai attitudes to non-standard things I would doubt it. 

25 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I believe that you cannot do that as the licence is issued by each Province for the residents of that Province.

I don't have a written proof but your idea is very unlikely,

Millions of Thais work and live outside the province where their registered residence is.

That would be too much to travel from Phuket to Chiang Mai just to renew DL.

(previous post was faster :smile: )

8 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

Some proof of residence is required. What is accepted varies from office to office.

Ours accept my "yellow book/pink card", others don't (like Pattaya/Chonburi).

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't have a written proof but your idea is very unlikely,

Millions of Thais work and live outside the province where their registered residence is.

That would be too much to travel from Phuket to Chiang Mai just to renew DL.

(previous post was faster :smile: )

My wife had to go back to Roi Et to renew her driving licence - she does that every 5 years.

But as I said - ring the local Office and ask.

15 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Does she do that out of habit - or has she tried a different LTD office?

Actually she has always done that when also visiting family.  But years ago she did ask (called) the local Transport Office when we were in Chiang Mai, and they said she must go back to Roi Et. But we had a trip planned anyway and the Roi Et Office said she could do it then - which was well before it would expire (cant remember how long it was). 

• Like 1

I have done it. But I needed proof of address at Imm. For residency cert.

Then changed back Imm address later when home. But your driving license wont have your proper address.

Tried to change license address when back home, and they said "come back in 5 yrs"

Mai pen rai was the answer, when I said its not my address.

I got both my DLs in Phuket. Renewed in Samui.  No problem.  Doctor note. Immigration address check (as I'm writing this I understand your concern) and watch the horror videos in the DLT app and bring them your QR code. Then brake and color test. Done. 

I renew my DL in Cha-am, although I live in Bangkok and have my registered address in a Bangkok district yellow book. No problem whatsoever, and in fact the Cha-am DLT staff are more efficient and friendly, accepted my yellow book address without question, and was overall a much more pleasant experience than renewing in Bangchak or Chatuchak.

Edited by mark5335

never moved in 20 years. registered in Nonthaburi, last time used Nonthaburi office was about 17 years ago, = all day job so do in another office out in the sticks much easier in and out within 1 hour with new Licence 

Go to Local Village town Hall get my proof of address, never had a problem, likewise also use to register car, and always go there to get my road Tax