TAT forecasts surge of Chinese tourists into Thailand via land in 2024

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) predicts that over 300,000 Chinese tourists are expected to cross into Thailand overland next year. This surge is due to the China-Laos railway, contributing to visitor numbers, especially in the northeast’s second-tier cities

TAT predicting again... gotta keep the optimism up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I cross the Friendship Bridge 1 at least twice a month; never ever came across a Chinese tourist in any of the non-existing queues.

Apart from Thais and Laotians you find only the odd ASEAN-visa-runner from the Philippines or Vietnam crossing from Thailand into Laos just to return on the next available border-crossing bus back to Thailand. 

Explains partly the massive tourism arrivals of ASEAN citizen in Thailand? 

7 hours ago, stoner said:

classic.

you literally had a dozen posters here in the last day or so call this to a t. after the news about the drop in chinese and the cancelling of flights.......and then.....bam surge coming. 

this place is such a laugh. 

Dimwitted response from people who had to flee 10,00 miles to find a decent living in a foreign country and possibly to find a bride also. There is a surge in land border crossings, but there is a decrease in Chinese visitors overall. 

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Dimwitted response from people who had to flee 10,00 miles to find a decent living in a foreign country and possibly to find a bride also. There is a surge in land border crossings, but there is a decrease in Chinese visitors overall. 

nice personal attacks. smh. 

dimwitted ? you said and i quote....there is a surge. however the article clearly states the following... 

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) predicts that over 300,000 Chinese tourists are expected to cross into Thailand overland next year. This surge is due to the China-Laos railway, contributing to visitor numbers, especially in the northeast’s second-tier cities.

now i'm no scholar at the english language but i do think that predicts means that they are hoping and anticipating a SURGE. 

however that surge is yet to occur. also the headline does say forecast so there's that. 

21 minutes ago, stoner said:

nice personal attacks. smh. 

dimwitted ? you said and i quote....there is a surge. however the article clearly states the following... 

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) predicts that over 300,000 Chinese tourists are expected to cross into Thailand overland next year. This surge is due to the China-Laos railway, contributing to visitor numbers, especially in the northeast’s second-tier cities.

now i'm no scholar at the english language but i do think that predicts means that they are hoping and anticipating a SURGE. 

however that surge is yet to occur. also the headline does say forecast so there's that. 

Another dimwitted response. They are expecting a surge in land border crossings. This does not imply there is a surge in Chinese tourists.

On 11/30/2023 at 10:59 AM, gargamon said:

In the words of Kevin Costner, “if you build it (railroad), they will come“.

May happen one day, but unlikely in 2024. The China - Laos trains move around 5000 people per day, this is around 1.8 mil per year. Expecting around 20% of the passengers to be Thailand bound tourists is too optimistic.

A friend of mine was in Luang Prabang last week, said the place was packed with Chinese tourists. Makes much more sense for the Chinese to go there, easier logistics.

• Agree 1