Henry Kissinger, a dominating and polarizing force in US foreign policy, dies at 100

CharlieH

Whatever his moral failings were, and it was Kissinger who, among other things, gave the Indonesian the go-ahead to invade East Timor, what's worse is his utter inability to understand that ultimately it's economics that drives world affairs. He was blindsided by the collapse of the Soviet Empire. When he did try to grapple with economics he got it wrong. He believed that private enterprise would inevitably  turn China into a democracy.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

Glad the rotten old bastard is finally dead, but still wish he'd stood trial for the many crimes against humanity he engineered

Not sure we should be happy to soon, now there is the potential he will be reborn again too.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

It's about time! 

The old saying the good die young.

2008 Olympics in Beijing he showed up at the stadium.  They stuck him and his missus in a an unsheltered bleachers under the hot summer sun.  Saw a shot on TV (in Malaysia) of the two leaving, both looked in very bad shape.  No VIP section or bodyguards for them!

Edited by bendejo

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't seem as though the horrid man was popular outside certain circles in the US.

Perhaps like Cromwell his body needs to be executed.

Execute a corpse? Well, I suppose you can never be too sure🤷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 3:32 AM, placeholder said:

Whatever his moral failings were, and it was Kissinger who, among other things, gave the Indonesian the go-ahead to invade East Timor, what's worse is his utter inability to understand that ultimately it's economics that drives world affairs. He was blindsided by the collapse of the Soviet Empire. When he did try to grapple with economics he got it wrong. He believed that private enterprise would inevitably  turn China into a democracy.

I've noticed your other posts on Asean Now, and I do think it's funny that you've put this up.   :smile:

Yes, ultimately, it's economics that drives world affairs. Kissenger is highly regarded by the Beijing government. It was Kissenger and Nixon who removed the barrier between America and China. Mao Zedong was still there when this happened. As you said, it's all about economics. It's good for America that trade exists between America and China. And good for China.

Did Kissenger believe that economic growth in China would turn China into a democracy ?  I don't think he did. I reckon that he knew that China is harmless. I reckon he knew that China is not wrong to have Tibet and the South China Sea. He felt that what goes on in China is basically, to do with China. He saw the massive economic benefits of huge trade between America and China. Benefits for both America and China.

30kissinger-china-02-hcjp-articleLarge.webp.8196d6b1b93a90639d4a714b0414913c.webp

Above is a photo of Henry Kissenger and Xi Jinping. Kissenger visited China lots of times.   :smile:

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not so good for the Americans that had their jobs exported to China so the 1% could exploit Chinese workers to get richer.

Yes, a reduction in America and Britain's manufacturing sector generates un-employment. But cheaper imported goods benefits everybody in America and Britain.
And the new un-employed ?  Reduce the number of cheaper migrant workers, have local people doing them jobs. And because a lot of them jobs are jobs that locals don't want to do, well, simple, bump up the wages.

So, no more working in a factory. Bearing in mind a lot of the goods imported are basic low-value products. Like furniture (chairs, tables, beds, etc) and clothes (underwear, socks, t-shirts, etc) .  And yes, mobile phones, flat-screen televisions, etc. People will be allowed to collect un-employment benefit, or get a job if they want to. And, oh look, nobody wants to be a hotel cleaner. But hotels will definitely still exist, hotels need cleaners, well, bump up the wages to encourage people to be hotel cleaners.