Mid-air madness: Unruly passenger turns Lufthansa flight to Bangkok into chaos

webfact

20 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I think that when passengers have a fit that the reason for crazed behavior should be studied and catalogued. I have mild claustrophobia and have taken planes quite a few times without any issues. Who's to say that one day something like this won't happen to me or anyone of us?

Alcohol or drugs aside, there might be an underlying issue that could be treatable or diagnosed. Its easy to point a finger and blame people but sometimes there are real issues at cause but no one knows them cos no studies have been undertaken, yet

… or he could just be a <deleted>! Very sorry for whatever ‘ails’ him, but you know what we all have issues though few of us act on them and try to harm others. You should only get one chance on a flight; mess up (for whatever reason) and threaten said flight, you should be ghosted and permanently grounded. If he has already been released and again flown, as has been suggested, then that is a joke and says a lot about the current state of our world. 

Edited by metisdead
Vulgar comment removed.
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I think that when passengers have a fit that the reason for crazed behavior should be studied and catalogued. I have mild claustrophobia and have taken planes quite a few times without any issues. Who's to say that one day something like this won't happen to me or anyone of us?

Alcohol or drugs aside, there might be an underlying issue that could be treatable or diagnosed. Its easy to point a finger and blame people but sometimes there are real issues at cause but no one knows them cos no studies have been undertaken, yet

Perhaps you are correct in your hypothesis. But why would you think it in this case? Surely this is not the first time the couple have flown. So any underlying condition to set him off seems a bit ludicrous as a reason for his actions. 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think airplane flights are one of those areas where you have to take a really extreme approach, if there is not an air marshal or law enforcement on the plane the passengers certainly should have the right to subdue the man. Perhaps they should go a step further and have very powerful tranquilizers on board to just knock the guy out, so handcuff him, knock him out with tranquilizers. When they land there should be a mandatory prison sentence of 10, perhaps 20 years. Flights are one of those areas where you need a certain amount of order and security, there's just too much that could go wrong lock him, and too many people are affected by a numbskull like this guy. 

I think passengers over the age of 14 or whatever age required to have fly unaccompanied should have to sit for an online course followed by a license exam.  This in order to board any plane. The subjects to include their rights, responsibilities and important stipulations of the treaties and conventions adopted by ICAO member states. If they misbehave fine them and suspend their license for an appropriate period of time. 

Airlines are mot interested they just want “bums on seats”

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Umlungu said:

If I was his wife I'd get the first flight back to Germany.

12 hours ago, Umlungu said:

Nobody wants Thai hookers over there.

You automatically assume every foreigner's Thai wife is a hooker??:unsure:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Big Bert said:

Bringing a lighter on a plane in carry onCigarette lighters are allowed in carry on bags as long as they are disposable or Zippo type lighters. They can still have fuel in them as well.

They have confiscated quite a few of mine over the years. They are not allowed on planes.

FYI: Confirmed on TSA website. They are very specific about matches and lighters. Not allowed.

Edited by cjinchiangrai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Sig said:

We can do a quantitative analysis and it will show, despite all the denials that "we met in the local library", that the vast - vast - majority of Thai females engaged with foreigners are there for financial benefits only. Just accept it for what it is.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Umlungu said:

Heil mein Fuehrer. You could double up as a member of the gespacho police.

Discipline, people!

Behave yourselves!

Or else! 

By the way, I am not a supporter of exterminating masses of people. Only the ones who deserve it! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I think passengers over the age of 14 or whatever age required to have fly unaccompanied should have to sit for an online course followed by a license exam.  This in order to board any plane. The subjects to include their rights, responsibilities and important stipulations of the treaties and conventions adopted by ICAO member states. If they misbehave fine them and suspend their license for an appropriate period of time. 

Talk about an effective way to decrease passengers loads by 98%!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Me thinks, if parents did their off spring correct, this online course would be useless.

8 hours ago, ravip said:

Me thinks, if parents did their off spring correct, this online course would be useless.

Parents? You should try riding in planes full of Americans. Liars with fake service dog?. Karens who fight you for looking at them. Trespassers who refuse the instruction to deplane the aircraft when their paid seat is no longer available. 

Kids these days development appears to be delayed and many have no or bad role models.

43 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Parents? You should try riding in planes full of Americans. Liars with fake service dog?. Karens who fight you for looking at them. Trespassers who refuse the instruction to deplane the aircraft when their paid seat is no longer available. 

Kids these days development appears to be delayed and many have no or bad role models.

Flying in the states does sound like a nightmare... everyone so bothered about the slightest slight and demanding their rights, genuine or perceived... but it probably seems that way because of social media... 

That said - the US airlines do seem to treat customers terribly...   'the paid for seat' issue you mention is a perfect example...  Perhaps thats social media again - but it seems customer service of the airlines in the US quite terrible.

The 'kids these days' comment is a bit boomer-ish...    Kids these days are fine...  Again, we see the outbursts on social media or the 'naughty ones stand out' and we don't notice the quiet well behaved ones...

I fly a lot and when deplaning I'm often surprised at the amount of kids on a flight that have been 'unnoticeable' because they are well behaved. 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Flying in the states does sound like a nightmare... everyone so bothered about the slightest slight and demanding their rights, genuine or perceived... but it probably seems that way because of social media... 

That said - the US airlines do seem to treat customers terribly...   'the paid for seat' issue you mention is a perfect example...  Perhaps thats social media again - but it seems customer service of the airlines in the US quite terrible.

The 'kids these days' comment is a bit boomer-ish...    Kids these days are fine...  Again, we see the outbursts on social media or the 'naughty ones stand out' and we don't notice the quiet well behaved ones...

I fly a lot and when deplaning I'm often surprised at the amount of kids on a flight that have been 'unnoticeable' because they are well behaved. 

About the kids when I was 15 I had a job, transport, relationship> I admit I wasn't paying for the roof over my head.

I have 16-18 year old nephews who have never walked to skool by themselves. I hear similar from colleagues. They seem like babies to me. At least I had some interests other than video games even if they were not productive! (getting laid, sweet waves, "partying")

• Agree 1

On 12/1/2023 at 8:02 AM, webfact said:

53 year old German man

OMG, look at the size of this guy. 

This photo was attached to the Facebook AN posting, is this the German guy? 

He should fly business class, not fair for the other passengers and flight crew. 

FB_IMG_1701540445855.jpg

The long term consequences are yet to manifest.

Regardless of his legal and financial liabilities for his little escapade, his name will filter through the system and he'll end up on a bunch of airline 'No Fly' lists.

Best he start planning on his next road trip from Munich to Bangkok!

13 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

About the kids when I was 15 I had a job, transport, relationship> I admit I wasn't paying for the roof over my head.

I have 16-18 year old nephews who have never walked to skool by themselves. I hear similar from colleagues. They seem like babies to me. At least I had some interests other than video games even if they were not productive! (getting laid, sweet waves, "partying")

But your anecdote of 'you'...  means nothing on the general scale of your implication that kids these days are worse than they used to be with delayed development and no role models....  A lot bias comes with such opinions and is often backed up when viewing the worst of the worst on social media...   

It would seem there are many older folk from every past generation who'd argued 'kids of today.....' etc etc...   but really, if kids of today were worse than kids of yesterday then after 100's of generations of behavioural degradation only the evil would be left...  unless of course the opinion was that 'their generation was the peak of manners, respect and behavior' which of course is flawed thinking.

The reality is - kids are no worse than they were 'back in the day'...    its just that many older folk like to moan about kids because they look back on the past with very selective memories...  they always have and always will and hence we get the 'kids of today... ' type comments made by those who haven't really critically considered what they are trying to state. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, wensiensheng said:

An apology? Trying to set fire to the blanket sounds more like attempted manslaughter to me. Fire in an airplane is life threatening.

and then there is failure to follow aircrew instructions. Surely as a bare minimum he is guilty of that.

and an apology is sufficient punishment. SMH

Hold on! Dont be so quick to judge! Could be that he suffers from schizophrenia or manic depression which can also cause paranoid delusions, and forgot to take his medication.

On 12/1/2023 at 9:11 AM, smedly said:

I remember being on a flight with an idiot like this, he eventually got into a physical altercation with a member of cabin crew and I had enough, brought to the floor and restrained - he was arrested when we landed, I got an applause 

Well, aren't you such a wonderful, non-self-aggrandising hero.

17 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Hold on! Dont be so quick to judge! Could be that he suffers from schizophrenia or manic depression which can also cause paranoid delusions, and forgot to take his medication.

Don't you think that would have been in the story ?

Don't you think the Wife would have explained this to the flight crew and the Police ?