Car got repossessed today, turns out wife took out a loan on it years ago

As another poster already said, do not pay her debt in order just to get her car debt free. Instead get in contact with the loan company. All they want is their money back, so the outstanding amount, plus interest, plus cost of reposession. Usually they have to auction off the cars or do similar procedures.

So offer them all the outstanding amount, incl. cost, to buy the car (in your name) quick. That should work.

• Thumbs Up 1

None of my business, I'm sure.  But I'm curious whether the OP's visa status is based on the marriage to that same woman?

Because I can see that being the next thing that comes out of the blue from nowhere and presents a real unpleasant surprise.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I have no experience of repossession, but my thoughts are ...

Presumably, the car is now owned by the loan company.

If the loan company is willing to sell the car to you, maybe it can be registered in your name.

But they may want more than just the amount owing.

This is the best course of action.

• Like 2

Can understand your frustration, but the car has never been yours, legally.

If you pay to get the blue book back, it is still not in your name and not your car, legally.

Hence nothing to stop it happening again or she comes back for her car (assume blue book in her name) and she no longer has any debt.

Sorry write it off, move on and learn.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Can understand your frustration, but the car has never been yours, legally.

If you pay to get the blue book back, it is still not in your name and not your car, legally.

Hence nothing to stop it happening again or she comes back for her car (assume blue book in her name) and she no longer has any debt.

Sorry write it off, move on and learn.

You don't pay the debt, let the loan company take the car but offer to buy the car from the loan company, with that document you can get a new blue book

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You don't pay the debt, let the loan company take the car but offer to buy the car from the loan company, with that document you can get a new blue book

Yes fully agree. We are both saying the same thing. 

Ugh55, the original poster should never pay anything unless the blue is transferred into his name only.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Presumably, the car is now owned by the loan company.

If the loan company is willing to sell the car to you, maybe it can be registered in your name.

But they may want more than just the amount owing.

1 hour ago, henry2109 said:

get in contact with the loan company. All they want is their money back, so the outstanding amount, plus interest, plus cost of reposession. Usually they have to auction off the cars or do similar procedures.

This is good logical advice, but proving very hard to implement. As far as I could gather, there's now a grace period in which the debt can be paid off in full (apparently one week). After that, the car goes to a different department to be sold off, and there's no way to intercept the car between the grace period ending and it going off to be sold. Once it goes off to be sold, there's no incentive for them to sell it specifically to me, as they could get the actual market/dealer price for it.

Put 250k towards a different car.  Let that baggage go.   Your only losing 150k by your resale estimate. 

Thanks for providing others and me with a look into the thai mind. 

You bought her a car many years ago.  It was never yours. Be thankfull you got to use it so long. 

The real loser here is the not so ex,ex. Her credit should be shot.  And she would have so much smarter to take the car and sell it 4 years ago. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good heads up.   Also people should watch out for the same, houses put up for collateral, without their partner's knowledge.   Many think it's free money.   Farang build, buys/pays for new house.  In wife's name, who refinances it, for what ever reason.   Maybe even a good one, that goes tits up.  Worse if paying off a gambling debt, or help a friend/family member that had no intentions of paying back.  It's only farang's money ... he no need :cheesy:

Why my first 3 cars were entry level POSs (Vios & Mazda 2), that I wouldn't have owned in USA.  Dependable, but basically crap for comfort on the road.  As not knowing if I was staying, or was going to walk away from them, quick sale & loss.   First 2 in my name, since not really trusting Thai partner #! that much, and then very single when buying 2nd.

3rd was in future wife's name (already lived together for 6 yrs), and couldn't turn down that 100k baht tax rebate to new car owners.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1