Pattaya makes the top 10 list on Expats best low budget places to move abroad!

Jingthing

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't recognise those beaches in Pattaya, anyone? could be anywhere.

I did a scuba cleanup dive once in Koh Tao, after half an hour we gave up just too much rubbish, never to be done again

At least you didnt die.

4 hours ago, bignok said:

Here you don't go.  Walking Street is just a tiny part of Pattaya, which is now a big, spread-out city, with many other areas, which, it is clear, you have never visited.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newnative said:

Here you don't go.  Walking Street is just a tiny part of Pattaya, which is now a big, spread-out city, with many other areas, which, it is clear, you have never visited.  

What is there that Bangkok doesnt have? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

So your expert knowledge of Pattaya is from random TripAdvisor reviews. Hilarious 😂 

Btw, I haven't been in Walking Street in over 10 years. One street doesn't make a city

Yes, too funny.  And, I couldn't agree more regarding Walking Street.

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't recognise those beaches in Pattaya, anyone? could be anywhere.

I did a scuba cleanup dive once in Koh Tao, after half an hour we gave up just too much rubbish, never to be done again

I don't recognize the photos, either--especially the one with all the trees in the sand.  I think Pattaya gets a bad rap regarding how clean the beach is.  I certainly never saw the beach looking like any of the posted photos.  I used to live at Northshore and every morning I could see them out cleaning the beach.  I imagine they are still doing it.

13 minutes ago, bignok said:

What is there that Bangkok doesnt have? 

Think of it the other way round i.e. you have many of the nice things of Bangkok but less hectic, hopefully a fair bit less pollution, and by the seaside. I lived near a beach in Melbourne - in St Kilda - for many years and rarely swam. But nice to have the open space. 

• Like 1

Pattaya and Jomtien beaches are very clean and well taken care off.

In Jomtien good wide walk ways too. The best place for walking safely.

Lake Mabprachan has nice 11km loop around it and many muscle parks along the way.

Try it! You may want to move there. I did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Maybe plan a visit of more than a day, venture beyond the tiny area you experienced in your 1 day here, and discover for yourself the things Pattaya has to offer.  

Like a Central Mall or a muay thai gym?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

So you hang out in malls?

Not really--I have other things that occupy my time.  This year, for example, my spouse and I have been building a new house--which has kept us busy since February.  I certainly use Pattaya's malls, probably once or twice a week, and I'm happy we have several very nice ones that are easy to get to from my home on the Darkside.  I use them to do my banking and other services, use them for a lot of my shopping--everything from shoes, to clothes, to sports things, to electronics, to sometimes groceries, etc.   I go to the mall to see a movie and sometimes eat at one of the restaurants.  Did pretty much the same at the malls in the US when I lived there.  Normal life

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Have you walked around Pratumnak mountain loop incl Pratumnak park? also a good walk through the trees from Bali Hai up the steps by lighthouse to Mountain loop

Oh yeaah... I know every street and alley. Buddha Hill is fine and look out to Bali Hai. I walked all the way to Central Festival and back.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:17 AM, impulse said:

Be careful what you wish for. 

You'll soon be inundated with the idiots who follow the innovators and the imitators.  I can't count the number of great, sleepy places that have been ruined when they became mainstream (spelled e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e and crowded)

Better to stay off the radar and enjoy the way things are.

Soon to be inundated with idiots? 😂😂😂🤦🤦🤦, where have been living?

the place has been a magnet for idiots, low life’s, druggies, criminals etc etc, and then let’s talk about the Brit’s!🤦🤦🤦

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, sungod said:

You been to Wongamat ? Was there half an hour ago, clear water and lots of people swimming.

Not been to Wongamat in about 12 years, that's when I moved to Chiang Rai.  Water can look perfectly clean and still be poor quality.  Pattaya used to discharge sewage into the sea (raw sometimes), perhaps that has changed? I can't say.