How to fly in Thailand after giving passport to Turkish embassy to get visa

I want to get turkey  visa for my Filipina girlfriend. Turkish embassy is in  Bangkok and we plan to fly Phuket. She needs to leave passport in embassy for 2-4 weeks for visa. But now we can fly to Phuket from Bangkok if she doesn’t have passport ? Passport will be in embassy. And I don’t want to wait in Bangkok. Any advice?

4 minutes ago, kiever said:

I want to get turkey  visa for my Filipina girlfriend. Turkish embassy is in  Bangkok and we plan to fly Phuket. She needs to leave passport in embassy for 2-4 weeks for visa. But now we can fly to Phuket from Bangkok if she doesn’t have passport ? Passport will be in embassy. And I don’t want to wait in Bangkok. Any advice?

I applied for a UK visa for my wife this year and they needed it for 4-6 weeks; however we had a trip booked to Hong Kong during that time. My wife told them this on application and they were very amenable and said to send an email stating that and if the visa wasn't ready in time we could "borrow" the passport to go to HK, then drop it back afterwards. As it turns out the visa was fast and borrowing the passport wasn't necessary but I would call them as I am sure this is a common thing and they will surely have a process for it. Pretty sure it won't only be the UK that can accommodate such a request.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kiever said:

If your girlfriend is only visiting Turkey for 30 days or less she can get evisa here

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/apply/

https://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Any photo id is valid for an internal flight in Thailand.

I mistakenly once used my Taronga Zoo (Sydney) membership card.

was that the one with the Silverback's face on it   :giggle:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, kiever said:

Does she have any other means of identity which has her photograph on it. A driving license or Filipina ID card for instance? They are usually acceptable for domestic travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Any photo id is valid for an internal flight in Thailand.

I mistakenly once used my Taronga Zoo (Sydney) membership card.

This is a few years ago, but I was flying domestically out of BKK (not sure of the airport or the domestic carrier (the one that smiles or the one that knocks on wood) but while getting my boarding pass printed at the counter, I gave them my pink Thai ID... They wanted my passport... I resisted... they really wanted my passport... Finally they relented and gave me the boarding pass.

Sometimes, when entering security, the ID checker will need to check with a higher up before passing me through.... I don't know maybe I just have one of those faces!

Edited by Iamloki
for clarity
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Iamloki said:

This is a few years ago, but I was flying domestically out of BKK (not sure of the airport or the domestic carrier (the one that smiles or the one that knocks on wood) but while getting my boarding pass printed at the counter, I gave them my pink Thai ID... They wanted my passport... I resisted... they really wanted my passport... Finally they relented and gave me the boarding pass.

Sometimes, when entering security, the ID checker will need to check with a higher up before passing me through.... I don't know maybe I just have one of those faces!

Your pink ID card has your name transliterated into Thai so the flight needs to be booked with your Thai-translated name. If you use your Thai driving licence then your name is in English and that can be used to book your flight.

5 hours ago, kiever said:

E visa is available if only she has shengen or us visa 

Just to be more specific - that would have to be a valid, not yet used visa, or a current multiple entry visa?

Not trying to be funny, but the Schengen is a pain in the bum to obtain - need dummy flight bookings, and fake hotel reservations.

Then, they give you a narrow window to enter and leave - like 10 days(?) either side, or less.

By comparison, the UK visa is much more reasonable - no dummy/fake booking requirement (more emphasis on proof of relationship?) and they give a big entry window - like 6 months.

Thank God that the UK left the corrupted EU.

BTW don't try to get a Schengen while visiting the UK, can only be done back in country of residence.

<deleted>.

1 hour ago, Iamloki said:

I do not know your nationality, but my Thai id is no good for domestic flights either.

The name on the document that you use, has to exactly match the name on the boarding pass.

My passport is UK with the English spelling of my name, but the name on my pink is is a phonetic version.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Does she have any other means of identity which has her photograph on it. A driving license or Filipina ID card for instance? They are usually acceptable for domestic travel.

She has ePhilID. Is it ok ? She also has tax id with picture. Hope airlines will accept them. 

8 minutes ago, kiever said:

She has ePhilID. Is it ok ? She also has tax id with picture. Hope airlines will accept them. 

The criteria for airlines is that passengers have a photo ID on which the name matches the booking details, so she should be ok. Carry a copy of her passport as well. Could be a useful back up.

Have a good trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kiever said:

Get a bus to Phuket 

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why don't you just ask the airline?

Exactly - especially as each airline is likely to have its own requirements.

I suspect however, that some, if not all will only accept non passport photo ID from Thai nationals - they have no way of knowing if anything else is genuine.

Edited by MangoKorat

9 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I do not know your nationality, but my Thai id is no good for domestic flights either.

The name on the document that you use, has to exactly match the name on the boarding pass.

My passport is UK with the English spelling of my name, but the name on my pink is is a phonetic version.

I'd never considered that... I just used google translate (camera function) and it transliterates perfectly.

Perhaps that was why I've never had an issue checking in with my Pink ID for domestic flights.

Another point though: Isn't it illegal to be without your passport here ?

So how do the Embassies reconcile holding someones passport with legal requirements ?

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another point though: Isn't it illegal to be without your passport here ?

Technically yes, but some years ago the police officially announced that a photocopy was acceptable but the original must be available.

Later, some government department somewhere (sorry - I have a very poor memory) said that photos on a mobile phone were also acceptable.

But a photo or copy of just the details page may not be enough. One also needs photos of the visa/immigration stamp given on arrival as per the TM 30 system.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So how do the Embassies reconcile holding someones passport with legal requirements ?

Only the police can take your passport. All of the dodgy scooter rental folk (and others) demanding that you hand over your passport as deposit  - definitely illegal.

The passport is a government document, not the individual's private property.

19 hours ago, Iamloki said:

Yesterday I bought a bus ticket from Phitsanulok to Phetchabun and the ticket office would not accept any form of ID (pink card or driving license) from me, only my passport was acceptable, just as well I always carry it with me for inter-regional travel. 

Just watch out, as Phuket police might still anytime ask for passport as per Thai law one should always carry. Get a copy in case and prepare to negotiate. Keep a low profile, avoid renting a motorbike and in case always wear helmet - as a foreigner will be likely stopped at roadblocks and passports will be asked. 

On 12/5/2023 at 2:05 PM, Jaggg88 said:

Your pink ID card has your name transliterated into Thai so the flight needs to be booked with your Thai-translated name. If you use your Thai driving licence then your name is in English and that can be used to book your flight.

Interesting Jag... I have had a few raised eyebrows and a few showing to another agent, but I have no real difficulty except for that one time mentioned in my post.

PS: I do always carry my passport when traveling - just in case. But, have not had to show it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I'm an American. Thai ID has name and address in Thai.

Maybe they know all Americans are crazy and carry guns??? lol

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Yesterday I bought a bus ticket from Phitsanulok to Phetchabun and the ticket office would not accept any form of ID (pink card or driving license) from me, only my passport was acceptable, just as well I always carry it with me for inter-regional travel. 

Yes, I always bring my passport too when traveling. It is the law, and one never knows...