Thai road safety groups challenge extended bar hours over drink-driving fears

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

We are committed to partnering with local authorities to ensure these venues refrain from admitting anyone under 18. We will request the police to establish checkpoints to monitor drink-driving and drug usage to prevent accidents.”

... and then theres this......  the under 18's don't drive anyway (theoretically).

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Alcohol temperance and road safety groups are challenging the new government decision to allow late-night bars and clubs in major Thai cities to extend opening hours until 4am. The critics argue that the authorities failed to make necessary arrangements to avert potential alcohol-related mishaps.

Just put patrol cars and check points near to known hot-spot bar areas. Very visible and check anyone that drives/rides.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Typical Thai thinking... much like the ban on alcohol sales during certain hours... they think that it stops the underage from buying alcohol during their lunch breaks and on their way home from school... they are only fooling themselves... the major impact is to restrict the entertainment venues of additional revenue... the underage delinquents can and do buy alcohol at their local stores the same as before.

4 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

You missed the point.

Drunk driving should be penalized with incarceration; not slaps on the wrist. There should not be an in-between ground. If the perp has 0.08+% alcohol reading, then off to the irons. I don't care if Thai or (fat) farlang.

I like to drink (perhaps too much). But I am not stupid; I do not drive to a watering-hole.

It's a start, maybe people will realise drink and drive the chances are you're going to get stopped sooner rather than later.

But as you say the courts should play their part.

Strict mandatory terms for offences.

Deaths or injuries should be very harsh, 

It's time to change the culture of drinking and driving is acceptable behaviour.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Just put patrol cars and check points near to known hot-spot bar areas. Very visible and check anyone that drives/rides.

We all know that during daytime they even don't do their work, and surely not at night.. after 17.00 the workday is over 

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe normal open-air bars, beer gardens, pubs, clubs, karaoke bars, restaurants serving drinks should close 2am.

Enclosed clubs with security may close 4am, with strict measures on entry, ages of customers and their condition apon arrival, searched for drugs or weapons etc.

And who will check??? RTP is doing nothing even in daytime, and the corruption will be rising for hose who do the job... Close at 1 or 2 am ok.. In certain areas with strict controls only in the weekend till 4 am. But IMO first start with the entertainment industry to check all licenses and see if they follow the rules before giving them  what they want. we all know and read the last year about underaged people , alcohol abuse, drugs gambling and even sadly even fire with no free exits to flee....Let the entertainment industry first invest and follow the rules before giving them what they want

Edited by ikke1959
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

You missed the point.

Drunk driving should be penalized with incarceration; not slaps on the wrist. There should not be an in-between ground. If the perp has 0.08+% alcohol reading, then off to the irons. I don't care if Thai or (fat) farlang.

I like to drink (perhaps too much). But I am not stupid; I do not drive to a watering-hole.

Jail for mid range is ludicrous.

i cannot see the logicical thinking here, anyone that goes out with the intention to drink and drive are going to do it regardless of what time the venue closes, it is not a viable option to curb drink driving, a viable option would be to get the police to do their job but then they are probably all drunk by then and driving home

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

i cannot see the logicical thinking here, anyone that goes out with the intention to drink and drive are going to do it regardless of what time the venue closes, it is not a viable option to curb drink driving, a viable option would be to get the police to do their job but then they are probably all drunk by then and driving home

sober people actually plan to go out, get plastered then drive home ?

Edited by Ralf001
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It's a start, maybe people will realise drink and drive the chances are you're going to get stopped sooner rather than later.

But as you say the courts should play their part.

Strict mandatory terms for offences.

Deaths or injuries should be very harsh, 

It's time to change the culture of drinking and driving is acceptable behaviour.

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

And who will check??? RTP is doing nothing even in daytime, and the corruption will be rising for hose who do the job... Close at 1 or 2 am ok.. In certain areas with strict controls only in the weekend till 4 am. But IMO first start with the entertainment industry to check all licenses and see if they follow the rules before giving them  what they want. we all know and read the last year about underaged people , alcohol abuse, drugs gambling and even sadly even fire with no free exits to flee....Let the entertainment industry first invest and follow the rules before giving them what they want

The clubs are checked for all relevant licences, safety and fire precautions.
Passing this inspection they will be granted an extension to 4am, entrance checks to be made by qualified trained door staff.
any slip-ups the license is revoked.

The challenge will probably be rebutted on the basis that the extended hours will be great for the economy. The bars sell more drink, the hospitals get more customers and the repair shops are kept busy. It can also generate money for the police in fines/non-fines. 

Case dismissed....

11 hours ago, Gumballl said:

People driving too the watering-hole is not the problem...  its the driving home !!!... 

Obviously I get your point though... Too many times I've driven somewhere, then fancied a beer.. but can't have more than a couple because I'm driving and the car becomes a burden... So, unless the Wife is with me, I just don't bother taking the car out at all now, just incase I fancy a beer !!!... 

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

People driving too the watering-hole is not the problem...  its the driving home !!!... 

Obviously I get your point though... Too many times I've driven somewhere, then fancied a beer.. but can't have more than a couple because I'm driving and the car becomes a burden... So, unless the Wife is with me, I just don't bother taking the car out at all now, just incase I fancy a beer !!!... 

Yeah always drove.... then caught a bolt home.

Issue was trying to find the car the next day..

I now leave car at home !!