Why are fewer Chinese tourists visiting Thailand?

webfact

Simple answer...remember 2008 to 2009 in America?  Then multiply that by 10.  Also, flooding this year.  Western mfg. countries going to Malaysia, Vietnam, India, Indonesia, and the fact that one man, with an ego and a small member, wants to control that part of the world....Go figure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, it is what it is said:

Chinese tourist arrivals in Thailand are set to be lower than forecast in 2023, according to estimates by the Thai tourism bureau.

what data was the forecast based on? anyone can come up with a figure, the question is; is it an achievable objective?

they could have forecast 2.5 million tourists and would have exceeded forecast!

they probably need to look at their data modelling.

To do that would require new glasses with stronger lenses, if they bothered to look at all .

They must comply with the current CCP directive ensuring they are carrying the most recent strain of covid related infection before embarking also that most Chinese (male fighting age) international travellers have been re-routed to the Mexican USA border would be impactful on numbers travelling elsewhere :-)

Edited by The Tree
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Any time of year Russia is an absolute pit of desolation. I would need a sponsor to come up with $75,000 cash, to even consider a visit to that God forsaken land. 

Obviously you've never visited Russia.  
It's lovely, great museums, music, the arts, lovely people, good food.  
I understand they've translated a lot of street signage, etc., making travel better for most nationalities.  I was lucky to have taken a few Russian language classes years before.
I wouldn't visit since the war, but I thoroughly enjoyed my month there (2010).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Seen the state of Pattaya now, full of road works and weed shops, not the fun destination it used to be.

Rawai, Phuket is finished.   I counted 35 weed shops on Saiyuan and I was driving.  Probably double if I paid attention and that was on  1 street.  Big Bike drivers being A-holes, driving around people and cars and honking.  Shirtless wonders going into the stores.  I haven't really been to Rawai for over 1 year to spend my money.   Just  to pick up a few things here and there.  Totally ruined.  No control from the officials.  I know this thread was about Chinese, but who in their right mind would want to visit this area, despite where they were from, China or ????.   No high-end visitors.  Just scum.    I was in Ho Chi Mihn City a few days ago, very civilized and tourists not behaving badly and spending a lot of money.   If the Thai government doesn't do something soon about this then the Thai tourism will be totally finished and the people that will pay good money for a good experience will truly stop coming to Thailand.  End of rant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

67637523_1004.jpg

Thailand's tourism bureau estimates nearly 1.5 million fewer visitors from China in 2023 than had originally been expected at the beginning of the year. Changing travel trends and economic problems in China are to blame.

Chinese tourist arrivals in Thailand are set to be lower than forecast in 2023, according to estimates by the Thai tourism bureau.

Thailand had expected a bump in tourist arrivals from China following the reopening of borders after the coronavirus pandemic. The tourism bureau initially predicted 5 million visitors from China in 2023.

However, arrivals from China before December numbered around 3 million, and the year-end total is now estimated to be around 3.5 million visitors.

Changing trends in Chinese tourism

Vincent Zhuang, a journalist from China and former editor at the Robb Report, a luxury-lifestyle magazine, said Chinese travel trends are changing.

"The Chinese tourist has changed a lot," Zhuang told DW. He added that Chinese tourists are traveling more domestically as air fares and hotel prices remain high elsewhere in Asia.

by Tommy Walker in Bangkok

TOP: There are fewer Chinese tourists in Bangkok's Chinatown this year. Image: Tommy Walker/DW

Full story: DW 2023-12-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Well, simply said they discovered how beautiful their own country is🧑‍🎄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They need to stop making predictions. They are always wrong. Too many variables (...)

And they are not shy to invent excuses if their fantasy numbers don't match with reality, e.g. "not enough flights", or "foreigners don't have money"... - I have yet to read: "Less tourists because of scams, overcharging, and pollution in Thailand", and I doubt I will ever read/hear that in Thai publications...

36 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

And they are not shy to invent excuses if their fantasy numbers don't match with reality, e.g. "not enough flights", or "foreigners don't have money"... - I have yet to read: "Less tourists because of scams, overcharging, and pollution in Thailand", and I doubt I will ever read/hear that in Thai publications...

Correct.

1. None of the issues existing before Covid were ever addressed. Typical Thai style. These goons in charge won't take responsibility for anything. 

2. Many economies have been devastated, and Thailand's tourist base of primarily lower income Indians, Chinese and Malaysians, and Arabs were hardest hit. 

3. Thailand cannot and will not attract wealthy or even affluent tourists, for a dozen good reasons. No sacrifices are being made, to make Thailand more appealing to them. 

4. Thailand is a nation in reverse. It is moving backwards, and represents the polar opposite of progress on countless levels. It is simply NOT becoming a better version of itself. The environment, traffic and public safety, horrific law enforcement, corruption, air quality, etc. Add to that heinous luxury and wine taxes, and you have an environment wealthy tourists avoid like the plague. 

5. You cannot shut down the entire tourism industry for 2 plus years, decimate the nightlife, hotels, restaurants and countless related businesses, engage in a very poorly planned vaccination program, create a climate of fear and panic, and then just expect because you open your doors again, millions will flood in. The world does not work like that. 

6. Thailand is NOT the center of the known universe. It is becoming less relevant by the minute. Tourists are forgetting Thailand. Thailand needs foreigners 100x more than they need Thailand. 

I could go on and on and on. The goons just do not get it. At all.

• Thumbs Up 1

From my experience with my first (Chinese) wife, the Chinese tourists will go where the Chinese Weixin influencers will go.

First time we ever went to Thailand was with her, and all she wanted was a photo of her on Kao San Road, as soon as that was taken care of she was pretty content to just stay in the hotel and/or buffet.

Trends and fashions change... Nowadays the actions of the Chinese government have put a stop to alot of the conspicious consumption of the wealthy. Those that have money are too busy trying to hide it to go travelling, and those that don't have money can't afford to travel anyway.

Most of my Chinese colleagues are too busy working 7-day weeks trying to pay off their mortgages to worry about travelling.

Edited by themongoose

9 hours ago, it is what it is said:

what data was the forecast based on? anyone can come up with a figure, the question is; is it an achievable objective?

they could have forecast 2.5 million tourists and would have exceeded forecast!

they probably need to look at their data modelling.

I could be mistaken, but is seems that every time they try to boost Chinese tourism by reducing costs the result is the opposite. Perhaps they should try making it more expensive...

• Haha 2