Earth on verge of five catastrophic climate tipping points, scientists warn

CharlieH

On 12/7/2023 at 6:47 PM, sirineou said:

That's a good question. 

I don't think we will because our socioeconomic  systems do not reward cooperation. 

Excellent answer. Like it says in the Bible, a house divided shall not stand. Humans do not co operate and will suffer for it when Gaia comes aknockin' with THE END for the human species. We have overstayed our welcome with all our pollution, extermination of species and general bad behaviour. Not all the EVs and windmills on the planet are going to save us from our own wrongdoings.

Not saying it will happen any time soon, but eventually, all in due course.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, BritManToo said:

my home is 80% solar powered, and I use less than 50 units from the grid each month.

Not sure there's much more I could do, how about you?

By producing a few consumer units ( kids ) you have done more than enough to contribute to the end of the human race. By your own words you want to make a few more too.

On 12/7/2023 at 6:31 PM, Trentham said:

You sad, sad creature. I guess you don't believe in vaccines, you believe aeorplane vapor trails are gas being sprayed on us and and and and......

That's a lot of extrapolation there.

I agree it's happening, but I think it's 5 billion people too late to do anything to change it.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

By producing a few consumer units ( kids ) you have done more than enough to contribute to the end of the human race. By your own words you want to make a few more too.

I only care about my direct genetic line, not the human race as a whole. 

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I find that hard to beleive, your post history is littered with references to you walking away from your family and advising others to do the same.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Given that is what most of the 8 billion people on the planet do as well, it's why humans will likely be extinct by the end of this century. So much for anyone's direct genetic line when that happens. I'm more than satisfied that my direct genetic line dies with me.

13 hours ago, n00dle said:

I find that hard to beleive, your post history is littered with references to you walking away from your family and advising others to do the same.

Perhaps he just likes knowing that his genes will live on. I could be wrong on that though.

My own father didn't give a rat's bottom about his direct male offspring either. I suppose it's partly revenge that his direct bloodline dies with me. Had I cared, I might have tried harder to reproduce. I did have the opportunity with my first partner.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2023 at 4:09 PM, huangnon said:

.. and eating bugs.

Given by how popular fried bugs are with the ladies of Nana, they might be tasty, though that's something I'll never know. There is something about seeing a cute girl with the little bug legs sticking out of her mouth that puts me off.

Climate change is not going to make Homo Sapiens extinct. But the competition for living space (home, food, survivable temperatures) will become intense and many will not survive. Unfortunately by the time the human population has culled a large percentage of it's members, we will have pretty much driven many species to extinction, and live in a devastated dystopia.

Last 6 months have all seen the monthly global temperature record broken, and this year is already at 1.46 degrees Centigrade of warming. That 1.5 C  target will probably be hit next year assuming the El Nino continues.

One factor which has only become more obvious in the last few years is the risk of forest fires - they are rising exponentially, outdoing our tiny efforts to plant more trees and raising CO2 levels even more. Also, no-one seems to talk about methane hydrate on the ocean floor any more - warming of the deep ocean, especially in polar regions could cause catastrophic methane releases.

Meanwhile Oil and coal companies are using the Ukraine war as an excuse to produce more - greed greed greed. 

If you thought migration was an issue, we haven't seen anything yet - in 30 years time, whole countries will be on the march, mainly northwards.

We can get another 10-20 years  of affluence followed by utter chaos, or  tighten our belts NOW.

7 hours ago, rickudon said:

If you thought migration was an issue, we haven't seen anything yet - in 30 years time, whole countries will be on the march, mainly northwards.

Cue WW3. No populations are going to welcome millions of aliens into their countries all at once.

Agree with much of that post.

• 4 weeks later...