Decarboxylation machines - Reviews or Recommendations?

connda

I simply can't smoke cannabis anymore.  I dislike both smoking as well as the smell of the smoke that embeds in your nose and mouth.
I've gone the edibles route by trying out different kinds of gummies.  Only problem being is that retail gummies are expensive and there is no way I can verify the THC content.

So now I'm playing around with the idea of purchasing a decarboxylation machine.  Yeah, I could fire up my stove, but I don't want to heat up the entire kitchen to decarb a few grams of cannabis. 

Has anyone tried this route? 

• Like 1

Interesting.

Can you provide more info about these machines?

Models, costs, availability in Thailand?

Alternatively, I would suggest dry herb vaping at lower temps.

170 to 190 C.

Most of the issues with smoke and smell gone.

Also you can later use the already vaped herb to eat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

I simply can't smoke cannabis anymore.  I dislike both smoking as well as the smell of the smoke that embeds in your nose and mouth.
I've gone the edibles route by trying out different kinds of gummies.  Only problem being is that retail gummies are expensive and there is no way I can verify the THC content.

So now I'm playing around with the idea of purchasing a decarboxylation machine.  Yeah, I could fire up my stove, but I don't want to heat up the entire kitchen to decarb a few grams of cannabis. 

Like @Jingthing allready said, the best and legal solution would be to just buy some dry herbs vape.

Alternative you can make extracts, oils, wax and then make your own dosed Gummies, add it to food or anything else.

On Lazada, Shopee you can search for "Resin Press", but keep in mind: "Everything containing above 200mg (0.2% THC)" is still ilegal here in Thailand.

i hope this information helped you 

Edited by RoyalCali
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 8:12 PM, connda said:

But you are aware that you are extremely addicted already? You need professional help.👍. See a rehab clinic 🥺!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, YaiJung said:

I have the Herbability Decarboxylator and Infusion machine that I picked up from shopee a couple months ago for around 3k baht.  It is awesome!  Before I would decarb in the oven and then infuse the butter/oil in a slowcooker, but it was messy and stunk the house up.  This thing works like a charm.  Put some ground herb in and hit a preset button.  Very little smell, although not scentless.  After decarbing the flower, just add the butter or oil and hit another preset button.   Word of warning if searching for this machine...it tends to be misspelled on shopee and lazada, herbablility, her bability, etc.  Terrible name for such a wonderful little machine! 

Just made a batch of salted mocha caramels yesterday with 7 grams of high grade flower.  Will get about 100 or so pieces at around 10mg THC per piece.  Comes out to 10-14 baht per piece including baking ingredients, depending on which flower I use...I pay 100-150 per gram for top quality, direct from farm.  Edibles from a dispensary are massively marked up, plus who knows what you are actually ingesting.  No thanks. 

Also, no thanks to vaping.  Tried it many times and really wanted it to be as great as some people say, but just doesn't do it for me.  High is not balanced, very racey, too much head high(anxiety), no pain killing effects.  I use medicinally for nerve pain first and foremost.  Smoking works best, but my lungs object.  Edibles work pretty well also - I find 5-10 mg THC give me a nice mellow medicinal effect, without putting me to sleep. 

OP

just do this. great comment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stoner said:

once the thc is decarbed there is no more sativa indica or strain. 

Yeah I've heard that with decarbed weed the strain differences are all cooked away. So in that case it would be stupid to use high end weed for that.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah I've heard that with decarbed weed the strain differences are all cooked away. So in that case it would be stupid to use high end weed for that.

yep. thc-a input thc output. the acid molecule is stripped away. the only point to using high end weed would be to get more mg for your edible batch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

After weed is decarbed do you really need to cook it then in butter or oil?

Can't you just use the decarbed weed directly mixed with foods that have fat?

once decarbed the chemical is activated. the main purpose of the butter or oil is to bind with the thc and allow the liver to absorb it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

once decarbed the chemical is activated. the main purpose of the butter or oil is to bind with the thc and allow the liver to absorb it. 

So I guess you're saying that would be more efficient than just eating it directly with fat? So you might need less product. But I'm wondering how much more efficient?

Interesting topic, thanks. I've been successfully making chocolate hash brownies for a while now. I don't decarboxylate the weed as I find the heat from the baking process does that for you quite effectively. Well, the brownies get me nice and mellow, anyway, lol. I'm now looking at making cannabutter as I want to try making shortbread and other cookies don't want bits of weed in them. One question: I know that when decarboxylating the weed you will degrade the THC if you heat it for too long or at too high a temperature. How about when you've already decarboxylated it and made your cannabutter or oil or whatever for baking and cooking, will the heat from baking the cookies in the oven reduce the effectiveness of the THC in the cannabutter you used to make the cookie dough?

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But I'm wondering how much more efficient?

lot of different factors into that.

body size

weight

consumption habits

like alcohol some can drink way more than others. a 100mg cookie will get me pretty good. for most they could have some serious issues consuming that much. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Guderian said:

will the heat from baking the cookies in the oven reduce the effectiveness of the THC in the cannabutter you used to make the cookie dough?

nope. i decarb first then add to my baking. 

Edited by stoner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stoner said:

once the thc is decarbed there is no more sativa indica or strain. 

If the only active ingredient in cannabis is THC, then strains wouldn't matter. But there are a variety of cannabinoids and terpenes that also affect the effects. Decarboxylation is removing C02 molecules from THCA / CBDA molecules rendering them psychoactively effective. Material is otherwise intact, differences between strains can still be evident after decarboxylation. There are processes to extract THC from cannabis that don't retain strain specific features, but that's not decarboxylation. Consider edibles, they rely on decarboxylated cannabis, and the effects can vary quite a bit between products, e.g. sleepy / energizing / etc. due to the strains they use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, ibjoe said:

If the only active ingredient in cannabis is THC, then strains wouldn't matter. But there are a variety of cannabinoids and terpenes that also affect the effects. Decarboxylation is removing C02 molecules from THCA / CBDA molecules rendering them psychoactively effective.

thca is the ingredient in cannabis that people are after. once heat is applied the chemical (thc) is activated and the acid is stripped away. not removing c02 molecules. 

and in fact most of the differences in sativa and indica are purely down to bro science. the differing effects mostly come from the terpenes.

https://www.insider.com/why-theres-no-difference-between-indica-and-sativa-marijuana-strains-2020-4

Edited by stoner

23 hours ago, stoner said:

thca is the ingredient in cannabis that people are after. once heat is applied the chemical (thc) is activated and the acid is stripped away. not removing c02 molecules. 

and in fact most of the differences in sativa and indica are purely down to bro science. the differing effects mostly come from the terpenes.

https://www.insider.com/why-theres-no-difference-between-indica-and-sativa-marijuana-strains-2020-4

Decarboxylation is the process of converting cannabinoid acids to their corresponding cannabinoids, by removing their carboxyl groups (Carbon-Oxygen aka CO2), usually by heat. You can't get high from raw cannabis, it must first be decarbed, whether by smoking, vaping, or cooking (e.g. in butter, brownies, or a decarboxylator). This is science, not opinion.

While cannabis strains' effects are generally classified as indica/hybrid/sativa, the actual effects of various strains can vary significantly or subtlety.  There are a variety of strain specific cannabinoids and terpenes it's not all THC, though there are processes to extract THC specifically from cannabis.

An experienced user can generally tell the difference for example between Pineapple Express and OG Kush, no matter what decarb method is used. Though some users don't notice a difference and consider that "all the strains are the same".

It's okay if you don't agree.

Edited by ibjoe
fix typo
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ibjoe said:

Decarboxylation is the process of converting cannabinoid acids to their corresponding cannabinoids, by removing their carboxyl groups (Carbon-Oxygen aka CO2), usually by heat. You can't get high from raw cannabis, it must first be decarbed, whether by smoking, vaping, or cooking (e.g. in butter, brownies, or a decarboxylator). This is science, not opinion.

While cannabis strains' effects are generally classified as indica/hybrid/sativa, the actual effects of various strains can vary significantly or subtlety.  There are a variety of strain specific cannabinoids and terpenes it's not all THC, though there are processes to extract THC specifically from cannabis.

An experienced user can generally tell the difference for example between Pineapple Express and OG Kush, no matter what decarb method is used. Though some users don't notice a difference and consider that "all the strains are the same".

It's okay if you don't agree.

It's not about agreeing as you said it's science. After decarbr there is no more strain indica or saliva. 

Best not get into who's experienced. 

• Haha 1

If you look on Alibaba you can find some inexpensive decarb machines with minimum quantity one piece and low cost shipping from China.  I got one called the Herboven or something like that for about 30 bucks and it works well. Exactly the same model was available on Amazon and other farang websites for 2-3 times the price and very steep shipping. Of course they are exactly the same thing made in China. It came straight to the door with no tax because it was sent by mail and under 15,000 baht value. On Alibaba make sure you order the right model that 220v with the right plug for TH.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, Jingthing said:

So I guess you're saying that would be more efficient than just eating it directly with fat? So you might need less product. But I'm wondering how much more efficient?

I tried some decarbed weed with a spoonful of coconut oil to bind it and stirred into a flavored yoghurt.  Worked well.  Coconut oil is one of the best fats to use and tastes OK too.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:48 AM, YaiJung said:

I have the Herbability Decarboxylator and Infusion machine that I picked up from shopee a couple months ago for around 3k baht.  It is awesome! 

Got mine today.  I'll be doing my first Decarb cycle and coconut-oil infusion tonight with the various buds I've bought in the past but have not smoked (as I said, I really don't like smoking but over the last year I've tried a number of different strains in order to find something that isn't harsh on the lungs.  Never found any so now those buds will be decarbed and infused.  This should be fun.)

@YaiJung Thanks for the recommendation!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1