German backpacker speaks out about rape ordeal on Koh Chang

webfact

image.jpeg

In a horrifying revelation, a young German backpacker shared her traumatic experience of a sexual assault in Koh Chang, Trat province. As her attacker faces justice, the survivor broke her silence, urging caution to lone female travellers.

Florentina Retka, a 24 year old cruise ship worker, embarked on a solo adventure to Southeast Asia, seeking the sun-kissed shores of Thailand’s Koh Chang. Little did she know, her journey would take a harrowing turn when she booked a tour with 55 year old local guide Kasama Apichaisompon in February.

The idyllic day took a sinister turn when Kasama allegedly led Florentina to an isolated beach, far from the prying eyes of other tourists. As she paddled in the sea, Kasama assaulted her, robbing her of her dignity and respect.

Frozen with fear, Florentina recounted the horrifying moment when her assailant violated her in the water.

“He took something from me that day, my dignity, my respect.” She cautioned other solo female travellers to stay vigilant.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of explorekohchang.com

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 9
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Obviously yet again READ THE FULL STORY

Two years eight months, that's outrageously cheap.

BTW, if you google his name (Kasama Apichaisompon) his portrait is all over the place.

Edited by Ben Zioner

It's a horrifying story indeed. Poor girl. She will be traumatised for a long time.

And cases like this happen here every day. Maybe less to foreigners but to young Thai girls who are not encouraged and brave enough to go to police.

(today's story in Thaiger about a multi raped 14 yo). I think schools, govt should play an important role in co-education to prevent those incidents.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A lone female, on a solo tour with someone she doesn't know.... what could possibly go wrong? 

Sad but true. When people put themselves in vulnerable positions and bad stuff happens......I hope they throw the guy away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

It's not limited to females. It can happen to guys also.

Agreed,

But solo males are more likely to suffer violent assaults and robberies as opposed to sexual violence and rapes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Two years eight months, that's outrageously cheap.

BTW, if you google his name (Kasama Apichaisompon) his portrait is all over the place.

I agree, used to be in the UK sentance for Rape was 25y before considered for parole! Not anymore, mores the pitty.

2y8m is a farce!

7 minutes ago, Ricardo99 said:

I agree, used to be in the UK sentance for Rape was 25y before considered for parole! Not anymore, mores the pitty.

2y8m is a farce!

He turned himself in the next day. That probably cut his sentence way down. Many other countries don't reduce the sentence for admitting guilt.