Chinese top visa holder summoned and fined over distorted claims about Bangkok’s notorious Nana

webfact

3 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Totally agree. Whilst this woman was obviously trying to gain 'followers' because she is an 'influencer' and that was her intent.

Now this will get international attention and make immigration/RTP look worse than they already are?

I mean OK tell her to careful what she is saying etc, but fined, possible deportation and blacklisting? Its like she killed somebody??:unsure:

My thoughts exactly... 

• Like 2

1. I don't see any link to the tik tok click so I don't know how to view this video. 

2. Thailand and the police seem to make it a habit of shooting themselves in the foot, they're making this event much bigger than it actually is by blowing it out of proportion, overreacting and getting themselves in the news once again for their repressive tactics and overbearing actions. 

3. Is criticism of Thailand illegal now?

Is having an opinion about Thailand illegal?

Is posting your opinion online illegal?

It doesn't matter how we feel about the what this woman posted, in a free and open democracy opinions are just that. And draconian measures to suppress them are not beneficial optics. The fear of bad opinions and their effect is something to behold from men who represent themselves as adults and a nation that represents itself as a democracy. 

Edited by spidermike007

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

1. I don't see any link to the tik tok click so I don't know how to view this video. 

2. Thailand and the police seem to make it a habit of shooting themselves in the foot, they're making this event much bigger than it actually is by blowing it out of proportion, overreacting and getting themselves in the news once again for their repressive tactics and overbearing actions. 

3. Is criticism of Thailand illegal now?

Is having an opinion about Thailand illegal?

Is posting your opinion online illegal?

It doesn't matter how we feel about the what this woman posted, in a free and open democracy opinions are just that. And draconian measures to suppress them are not beneficial optics. The fear of bad opinions and their effect is something to behold from men who represent themselves as adults and a nation that represents itself as a democracy. 

She was arrested for running a shop and another business without a work permit. Deportation and blacklisting would be normal for this offense.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

and warned off by Immigration Bureau police who informed her she could be facing potential deportation for breaching the kingdom’s strict labour laws.

The interesting take-away in this article is that if vloggers post stuff the authorities don't like they'll come after them with the labour permit laws.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That said, you are posting nonsense...that crossing and junction does have traffic lights controlling vehicles heading west towards the expressway at Soi 1. 

Correct & oops! My Bad, too early in the morning?  The lights are there westbound, but not eastbound. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should you be wary?  Your letter to the Bangkok Post will only be a problem if it contains a confession to your working here illegally as that woman was, apparently, that being the only thing she was charged with.

Nonsense my good man! They must protect their reputation at all costs.  Off with her head!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, monty1412 said:

Oh well played immigration..... you have taken a one off situation and now given it a life.... who advises these people....

Indeed... its known as the 'Streisand effect' and the Thai Police and authorities are experts at it... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

The Streisand effect is an unintended consequence of attempts to hide, remove, or censor information, where the effort instead backfires by increasing awareness of that information.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

To think that I was about to write a letter to the editor of the B*****Post, what should I do? Should I now be wary if someone from the Brown Boys doesn't like what I write?

Truthfully, yes.

Thailand is not a democracy nor a free country. Never has been.

Why do you think Thailand is so pissed off at Facebook for allowing anonymous posting?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it is like the consequences of contravening the conditions of a visa by working illegally.  Killing someone doesn't mean deportation.

" Its like she killed somebody?? Was sarcasm!

From the attached article:

"The legal action against Ms Wang has stirred controversy, especially as it appears to signal a departure from the typical response to negative portrayals of the country. 

Senior police officials explicitly stated that the cause for the legal action was the production and distribution of content deemed harmful to Thailand’s image abroad."

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Fr87 said:

She was also on some big ticket visa and living in some fancy building. Then.. does Thailand want more bad press with Chinese? So, this is going nowhere. Very poorly played by cops. Should have just had a quiet talk with her.

I do fully support her posting whatever she thinks and being a woman - FEELS about the place either true or not.

Yes agreed, she was what Thailand wants, Rich Quality tourists.

So Thailand gets one, a quality tourist, and look what happens to her? They detain her and find an excuse to potentially deport and blacklist her?

Its hard to fathom exactly what planet the RTP are on?

• Thanks 1

28-year-old Ms Zi Yu Wang, soon to be an un- successful Tik Tok influencer in Thailand.

These scum-influencers  make money by extorting freebies from hotels , restaurants and other businesses and as long as Utube/tiktok etc is will in to pay them they will make up stories, attracting viewers by shocking and made up fake news, more shocking the news the more viewers it will have and more $$$ for them.. Kick her out and she will make up even more fake news.

Convince Utube // tik tok etc not to pay these people and we will have a better place to live... !!!!

• Agree 2

This case only confirmed what I already suspected: This "Thai elite VISA" is a total waste of money.

During Covid times, many "Thai elite VISA" holders were blocked from returning to Thailand.

Actually, let's face it, there's an undercurrent of xenofobia in Thai society, they are a very homogenous country and society with a unique language and there's no way that it will ever be inclusive to foreigners.

Don't count on Thailand for your long term residence, they can kick you out anytime without a second thought.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

From the attached article:

"The legal action against Ms Wang has stirred controversy, especially as it appears to signal a departure from the typical response to negative portrayals of the country. 

Senior police officials explicitly stated that the cause for the legal action was the production and distribution of content deemed harmful to Thailand’s image abroad."

Yes, and that action, that resulted from her bad-mouthing, was to be charged with working illegally!   Can't you read any of the reports that specify the charges?  

• Sad 1

Advertised as an ADULT Entertainmant Area & very strict on access age.

Mainly orientated around males all but around the world it is the same. Security access,

Kings Cross in Sydney for example any age can wander around. (Horrible place).

Nana is not a drug dealers paradise (again, unlike Kings Cross) & I doubt if any owners of bars are selling  as just not worth it .

Yes, hate to tell some of you posters, but it is safe as far as personal safety is concerned albiet I have always said 

that in the event of a fire there is only one exit. There are 2 other fire exits out to the Landmark driveway but I think locked  or built over which is a major concern as a  small incendiary placed at the narrow entrance would cost many lives.

I frequented on a regular basis & YOU get yourself into trouble if there is any.

I do not know the exact slagging this lady has been up to but maybe the Thai authorities should turn it into advertising

by accepting the facts of what it is & targeting them to frequent.

It is actually a pretty special place for what it is.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What?

I went to Bangkok for the first time since 2010 last year.  All the old adult entertainment venues that once were on the SW side of Sukhumvit on soi Nana had moved to the NE side.  Nana now has a Hooters and other relatively respectable businesses.  Nothing like before, or what is on the other side of Sukhumvit.

Edit:  I did a little research.  Stickman has been following the subject.  It seems the land that the naughty places of the old soi Nana sat on was sold in 2014 and all the hooker places closed in the years that followed.  https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2014/09/the-future-of-nana-plaza/

Annies Massage, something of an institution, and other rent-a-friend places relocated to the new redlight area.  https://www.anniesbangkok.com/faqs.html

Nana is now just another tourist nightclub area.  It no longer deserves to be called notorious.

Edited by heybruce

37 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I went to Bangkok for the first time since 2010 last year.  All the old adult entertainment venues that once were on the SW side of Sukhumvit on soi Nana had moved to the NE side.  Nana now has a Hooters and other relatively respectable businesses.  Nothing like before, or what is on the other side of Sukhumvit.

Edit:  I did a little research.  Stickman has been following the subject.  It seems the land that the naughty places of the old soi Nana sat on was sold in 2014 and all the hooker places closed in the years that followed.  https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2014/09/the-future-of-nana-plaza/

Annies Massage, something of an institution, and other rent-a-friend places relocated to the new redlight area.  https://www.anniesbangkok.com/faqs.html

Nana is now just another tourist nightclub area.  It no longer deserves to be called notorious.

I should note that the new redlight area is only a shadow of what Nana used to be.