Rats in the attic

bradiston

On 12/9/2023 at 2:03 PM, bradiston said:

I'm convinced the only way forward would be to cut a section out of the ceiling big enough to get head and shoulders through, and check to see just what is going on. Otherwise we're just working blind.

When we first started hearing noises in the roof space I got an IR camera that recorded on sound/movement detection. Helped a lot in getting the trap working properly.

• Thanks 1

I had a problem with pine martens in the roof back home. They're legally protected and also they keep grey squirrels from displacing the red squirrels, so I didn't want to use traps Tried Chinese camphor balls and motion triggered lights to no effect.

Someone said they didn't like noise so I left the radio upstairs on all day. Didn't work. But I listen to Radio 3. Retuned it to Radio 1 on full volume and left for 24 hrs. They never came back 😊

Then I fixed the loose soffit they were using for access, and cut back the climbing plants they were using to get to it. 

I had squirrels in the roof of my last house in Thailand but if I shouted F off at them and banged the ceiling, they obligingly f'd off. 

• Haha 2

I get rid off about that animals, it started with squirrels, sitting in and eating the cables from the aircon, the car, sitting up the ceiling, now I get rats.

In the car they hide themself (the squerrels) in the ventsystem, of course they died, because they could not escape, an unbearable stench in the car, I do not use this daily.

Now I use traps, but especially the squerrels coming back, recently I even saw them mating, and they happily ran on.

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

In the car they hide themself (the squerrels) in the ventsystem, of course they died, because they could not escape, an unbearable stench in the car, I do not use this daily.

Now I use traps, but especially the squerrels coming back, recently I even saw them mating, and they happily ran on.

Squirrels or Tree Shrews? ............. I only see Tree Shrews.

These work extremely well, and are non-messy:-

Check out ยาเบื่อ หนู เหยื่อกำจัดหนู สะตอม 35,75,85 เม็ดat 12% off!฿46.00 only!Get it on Lazada now! | https://s.lazada.co.th/s.O2aje

Screenshot_20231211-1006342.thumb.png.c3b9bce48294462b64d791ab3661afd0.png

You can get them in Makro, in a fancier package.

The only problem is, if you don't remove the corpses, they will smell for a week or so!

• Thanks 1

I found out that these type of traps were not tripping, the part I have highlighted during manufacture was just snipped  leaving a burr, so I cleaned it up with wet n dry to a smooth finish Bingo got the barstard. 

I also found they had eaten the cheap Parrot soap in the bathroom (boiled up bone I belief) one night I tried some in the trap, again got another one.71TqxyjV3dL.thumb.jpg.da9d15604b3613806d74746ce225ff3a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

There are many poison baits available and most of them encourage the animals to drink water. This means that if the eat inside they will go out to drink and the water and poison together makes the die quickly.

I know the Bayer (German Co) make a bait that I have bought in Thailand.

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What Thailand has that looks like squirrels.

But Tree Shrews are omnivores, will eat birds eggs and small mammals and have straighter tails and more rat like faces.

Okay, I didn't know that, looks like squerrels yes, so maybe 'Tree Shrews' however they still eat cables.

Anyway, I offer you a glass of wine!

Edited by Peterphuket

On 12/9/2023 at 2:19 PM, worgeordie said:

They are rats ,spread diseases , the wife's father died of leptospirosis no sympathy

for them at all. the only good rat is a dead one , by whatever means.

regards worgeordie

A rat destroyed my seat on my last motorbike, not my present one, I set a trap and caught it, I did not have the heart to kill it so I took it on my bike for about 5 Ks and set it free.

Regards. NoshowJones.

• Thanks 1

New York has now more rats then humans and they dont know how to get rit of them.

The newest thing was on holes in the ground (dens) to flood with CO (carbon monoxide).

How ever CO can be very explosive, so dont know if it is really done this way.

It would be very effective, as CO is replacing the oxygen in your blood and you just die.

What about having your car exhaust for CO2 (carbon dioxide, however also some CO in it, some as catalyst is converting CO to CO2) and put the hose to the attic. Of course you cant stay in the house then, as you can also die on CO2.

And maybe first through carbon filter to filter out odors of additives.

I guess "odor" is solvable in water, so otherwise wash it through water. Make a gas washer. Barrel with one long pipe in and short out both on top and fill barrel with water. Just let the gas bubble through water in closed vessel and then further out to attic.

Of course exhaust gas is hot.

You can keep it until maybe a next time.

Or have a CO2 or N2 (nitrogen) container pure. Those gasses arent explosive, but no one can live in concentrated CO2 or N2. We all (not in water) live on only around 21% of oxygen in air.

You have CO2 fire extinguishers. You could buy big one and use it, dont know if it would be enough.

But maybe. You can do refill again and keep it, then have a fire extinguisher in case off. 2 in one blow.

Be aware when using it, CO2 is compressed, will get out end expand to gas. You can get ice on outlet and it is very cold, you could burn yourself.

NOT a powder extinguisher, as that is on another principle.

CO2 extinguishers are best for all kinds of fires. Electrical, car and others. 

powder extinguisher is mostly for solid fires, certainly not for electric and if you use at car tiny parts can get in everywhere and destroy your car. IF you inhale, you can get diarrhea.

However if the rats die before leaving, then you have another problem, decay of bodies.

Also, after flooding the attic with CO2, N2, you MUST flush it again with air.

An entrance made to see on attic, you can leave open, so the gasses will fall down and then venting by open doors and windows, afterwards. Or/and with fan

If and or when they leave watch every section of roof where they might come out, so those places need attention for closing.

It's just a thought.

Gas GETS everywhere, BUT be aware it is not getting to you.

6 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

A rat destroyed my seat on my last motorbike, not my present one, I set a trap and caught it, I did not have the heart to kill it so I took it on my bike for about 5 Ks and set it free.

Regards. NoshowJones.

It'll be baaaaack !

regards worgeordie

• Haha 1