Any wine drinkers here ?

The Cobra

1 hour ago, liddelljohn said:

any decent non acidic white wine around  not too dry ??????at a sensible price???  I love reds but they screw  my diabetes ,, some whites are ok 

I drink Marlborough Mussel Bay Sauvignon Blank.

Nice fruity tang, not too dry or acidic.

Just under 700 baht in my local Minimarts. I think that BigC might sell it as well.Not sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I once went to Vineyard  in Khao Yai and did the tour... interesting enough, but the wine was not really enjoyable.

I thought of purchasing a few of their reserve bottles, but at about 1500 baht each I realised what a rip off it is. 

Thai wine in Thailand is still taxed very highly and the local vineyards have attempted to 'create a brand' rather than sell on quality - as such there is firstly the high tax, but also a very high initial markup price where they seem to believe that people will value something if it a higher price (and some do)...   

The Thai wines in Thailand are so heavily over priced for what they are. 

That said, I was in New Zealand and expected to find Cloudy Bay there for significantly cheaper that I find it elsewhere... Its actually cheaper in the UK because NZ are protecting their image and prices locally. 

Yes mate - wine is over-priced everywhere nowadays - niche factor I reckon.

When I was young we visited the Barossia Valley and the wineries sold good stuff very cheaply.

Went again in late 2000s and they were all a rip-off - wine was good but the pricing was ridiculous - cheaper in the big stores.

On 12/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, The Cobra said:

Can anyone recommend a nice Red wine that's readily available in Big stores like Big C Tesco Makro etc? 

I know nothing about the stuff and don't want to end up with something thats like Vinegar.

Any help appreciated., thanks.

Depends on your own specific taste.......try and error 🎄

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Depends on your own specific taste.......try and error 🎄

Its not though is it... because hes specifically asked for recommendations...

An Appassimento, as recommended by xylophone is an excellent recommendation - certainly a better recommendation than 'trial & error'... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

An Appassimento, as recommended by xylophone is an excellent recommendation - certainly a better recommendation than 'trial & error'... 

Maybe for you, maybe not for others

On 12/10/2023 at 12:54 PM, Fab5BKK said:

Some fair comments here...

Wine tasting is all about sharing. However, quality wines could be hard to get here, because of:

• Choice
  • Price (taxes, margins)
  • Quality (storage)

Luckily, I manage to get my wines directly from France. I place an order twice a year (Champagne, Muscadet, Chinon, Sancerre, Chablis, Gevrey-Chambertin, Rielsing).

You order? Than you'll have to pay a lot of tax, maybe nearly the same price as in LOS.

But yes you'll have one of the best wines in the world.

11 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:
15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe for you, maybe not for others

Agreed... But its a better starting point than something completely random that the Op has no idea about.

Are you proposing the Op goes and buys something he knows nothing about and see's if he likes it ?...

Thats complete randomness - the op has made a request for recommendations / help and he's getting his answers.

There has also been a good recommendation to try the 19 Crimes wine...  Why ? because its decent for the price (relatively).

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend a nice Red wine that's readily available in Big stores like Big C Tesco Makro etc? 

I know nothing about the stuff and don't want to end up with something thats like Vinegar.

McGuigans is pretty good 

• Agree 1

Searching for a very good wine, or even just a good one, for less than about 500 Bt/bottle in Pattaya is a fool's errand.

When I drink wine it almost always with a meal so I want one that will go well with the meal I prepare.  Hopefully it is good enough that what remains can be drunk by itself before the meal and/or over the next day or two.

I used to find good Australian wines for reasonable prices but they have out priced themselves now.  I have occasionally had good luck finding a "bargain priced" Chilean, Argentinean, or South African wine at Macro, Friendship, or Villa, but their sales people are totally ignorant.

Lately I have simply gone to the Wine Connection shop at the Pattaya Avenue Mall.  If you pass Villa to enter the mall it is on your right.  Describe what type of wine, taste, and what you want to eat so they can make suggestions.  My success rate is better there than when I tried to guess at the grocery stores.  There are other wine shops scattered around Pattaya now and it is possible that some of the sales people may have some knowledge about the wines available. 

I haven't been there yet (on my to do list) but there is Wine Pro, a large retail/wholesale wine shop on the corner of Thanon Chaiyaphruek and Sukhumvit.

Edited by HarrySeaman

On 12/10/2023 at 3:19 AM, The Cobra said:

Red wines marked with "dry" tastes sour.

Wine is pretty much a question of individual taste – and if you are  wine-drinker, it's also a matter of what you are used to drink – but in general a French Bordeaux wine is normally a good choice, but not the cheapest – will be from around 700-800 baht per bottle and up.

The mere affordable Spanish "Osborne" (with a bull-logo) red wine is also fine.

If you look for cheaper table-wine (house wine) in a container or cardboard box, the Australian "Gossip" at around 800-900 baht for 3 liters is a Okay choice after my taste. Even the cheapest box wine in Makro, "Holla" for around 700 baht for 3 liters is also all right.

Again a matter of taste, but in Thailand wine taste best if cooled – also red wine – like you would drink the French "nouveau" (new = young) wine.

On 12/10/2023 at 12:13 PM, RayC said:

One of the most difficult grape varieties to grow and consequently one with high production costs and you suggest buying a cheap bottle of it. Yep, that makes sense.

Absolutely correct, I drink very good single vineyard Pinot Noir in California and it's typically $40 to $70 for for a nice one, and it's really worth it. Here, if you could find it, it would be 10,000 baht. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have been drinking and collecting wine for over 50 years now, and it has been a hobby of mine for that time, hence the reason I have toured many vineyards in France, a few in Australia and New Zealand, sometimes at the invitation of the vineyard owners.

I did contribute to a very large thread here when it was Thai Visa and that went on for many pages, but unfortunately they banned the mention of wine??

Anyway going on what others have said, IMO the "19 Crimes" is a fair bottle amongst the cheaper ones although it's not that cheap these days, and although the Chilean wines are a bit cheaper, and I've tried many of them, I really can't get to grips with their "averageness".

Nowadays I buy my wine from importers and get it delivered to my door and my favourite at the moment is an Appassimento from southern Italy, as well as one from Wine Pro, because they are full-bodied, well-made and a huge cut above the average everyday offering.

I won't touch any wine with fruit juice in it, or even fruit additives of any description because they give me a headache, so I have resorted to asking restaurants here, which only have the "Mont Clair" type wine, if I can take my own bottle of wine along, and they allow me to, with a 200 baht corkage charge – – fine by me.

PS. I regularly consumed almost a bottle of red wine every night up until just recently, now I have cut back to about half a bottle followed by a glass of Portuguese Port! I have also taken to buying the more expensive wines as I reason that at the age of 76, I deserve to drink good wine!

I remember your post from the previous incarnation of Aseannow, feel free to share your information in regard to your distributor with a PM. I'm always looking for fine wine here I do agree that the shop you mentioned does have decent wine from time to time. I've never had a bottle of Chilean wine that was above average, so I completely agree with you on that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

They're not trying to protect the (tiny) local wine industry at all - the levy on wine is just a luxury tax, pure and simple.

And yet, so many 'media experts' over the years have said that if they lowered their taxes on wine, a lot more wine would be imported and sold in Thailand - especially those wines ideal for hot weather (NZ Sauvignon Blanc, Aust Chardonnay and Reisling, etc betc). The n et effect would be far more tax revenue, and it would not affect the local wine producers much at all - probably increase their sales (and maybe make them work harder on their quality).  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Paolo e Carlo  PRIMATIVO DI MANDURIA RESERVA CLASSE 1966    go for the 2018 or 2019 

I have 30 in my cooler right now

That's a good recommendation LC and one which I will seek out as I do like the Primitivo grape and when combined with the sunshine and heat in southern Italy/Sicily, then it should be very much to my liking I suspect.

Many thanks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I remember your post from the previous incarnation of Aseannow, feel free to share your information in regard to your distributor with a PM. I'm always looking for fine wine here I do agree that the shop you mentioned does have decent wine from time to time. I've never had a bottle of Chilean wine that was above average, so I completely agree with you on that. 

Hi again SM........message shortly on the way.

Villa Market in Bangkok has excellent selections generally, especially the store on Sukhumvit or at their Ari store.  A fine French Rhone red can be found there or also on the shelf in some 7-11s. 399 thb  The brand names starts with B, as in the word Beauville.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, bignok said:

Too hot for wine. Wine is for cold climates.

You got no idea I am a wine drinker (red) I live in OZ as you know, and it is 33degrees at the moment, red wine is drunk at room temperature only white wine is drunk cool.

1 minute ago, still kicking said:

You got no idea I am a wine drinker (red) I live in OZ as you know, and it is 33degrees at the moment, red wine is drunk at room temperature only white wine is drunk cool.

Room temperature means what temp ??   Surely you don't drink wine at 30 degrees C ????

When wine is concerned... 'room temperature' is more of a colloquialism than anything else, because the ideal temperature for red wine would leave most people 'shivering' and feeling quite uncomfortable as  the idea temperature for reds is about 12 to 18 Deg C...   

... and who is in a room that is 15 or even 12 Degrees C ???

Unless the AC is on room temperature here can be well over 25 deg C... and thats a bit warm for red wine IMO... 

I keep our wine in a wine fridge and that ensures a decent temperature, as room temp here is just too warm.

11 minutes ago, still kicking said:

but  "room  temp" is v different in LoS than in France....&  Europe generally...so bung your red in the fridge for an hour....

40 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

Villa Market in Bangkok has excellent selections generally, especially the store on Sukhumvit or at their Ari store.  A fine French Rhone red can be found there or also on the shelf in some 7-11s. 399 thb  The brand names starts with B, as in the word Beauville.

Villa Market, Ari is my local and does have a great choice of wines for those of us in the area.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Room temperature means what temp ??   Surely you don't drink wine at 30 degrees C ????

When wine is concerned... 'room temperature' is more of a colloquialism than anything else, because the ideal temperature for red wine would leave most people 'shivering' and feeling quite uncomfortable as  the idea temperature for reds is about 12 to 18 Deg C...   

... and who is in a room that is 15 or even 12 Degrees C ???

Unless the AC is on room temperature here can be well over 25 deg C... and thats a bit warm for red wine IMO... 

I keep our wine in a wine fridge and that ensures a decent temperature, as room temp here is just too warm.

I don't have an aircon and today it was 33 degrees and I buy my wine boxed and my fridge is small never had any probs drinking it, and I am in the west now. I buy 4 or 5 litre boxes because it is verry cheap beer is too expansive in OZ.

To the OP. I bought a bottle of Shiraz, Australian, I think Penfolds, last week at Big C for 599 Baht IIRC. I was pretty damn good for the price. 

One good reason to go to Phnom Penh, Vientiane, Luang Prabang or Vietnam is the reasonably priced quality wines. Such a shame we cannot get same here in Thailand. 

Picture below from February 2023 at the excellent Bouchon Wine Bar and restaurant in Phnom Penh for anyone heading that way. Prices in $USD for quality French wines.

20230216_185015.jpg

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1