Euthanizing your dog at home yourself

I really sympathise with the OP as it is a horrible position to be in and he is obviously a caring and compassionate man that wants to do the right thing to alleviate the suffering of his dog no matter how difficult or upsetting it might be to do. Full sympathy and I wish you the best.

However, please be careful. Euthanising a dog yourself is a criminal offence in Thailand even if you are doing it for the best of reasons, and no doubt that you are.

So, not being preachy, just informing you of something to be mindful of. It would certainly make me think twice, as if someone sees it or is upset by it and informs authorities you could be in a whole lot of trouble - criminal trouble, not civil trouble.

• Thanks 1

I’m sorry to hear about what you and your pet are going through right now. When I was faced with the same situation, I couldn’t do it. She was so weak and blinded, but I could see she still wanted to be with us, even for a few hours more. We just waited as we lay beside our sweet dog, and she was gone before the morning came.

A closer reading of the CRUELTY PREVENTION AND WELFARE OF ANIMAL ACT, B.E. 2557 (2014) does seem to indicate that killing a pet which is not suffering may indeed be against the law, whether performed by a vet or at home.

Because the English language translation of paragraph (4) was somewhat ambiguous, I looked at the Thai language text, which reads "การฆ่าสัตว์ในกรณีท่ีสัตวแพทย์เห็นว่าสัตว์ป่วย พิการ หรือบาดเจบ็และไมส่ามารถเยยีวยาหรอื รกัษใหม้ชีวีติ อยรู่ อดไดโ้ ดยปราศจากความทกุข์ทรมาน." This translates to "in the case where a veterinarian deems an animal so ill, disabled, or injured that no medical treatment or procedure can be performed which will allow the animal to continue to live without suffering. Note that ความทกุข์ทรมาน does not translate to "insufferable pain"(as translated below) which would suggest that the animal has to be in absolute agony before it can be legally euthanized. Rather, ความทกุข์ทรมาน simply translates to "suffering", "pain" or "distress." So a more accurate translation than the below translation of paragraph (4) might well be: "killing animals in cases where the veterinarian sees that the animal is sick, disabled, or injured and a vet is unable to provide treatment or treatment to sustain its life without suffering."

While it would obviously be easier to have a pet euthanized at a vet, in cases where an injured or ill animal does meet this criteria, the Cruelty Prevention and Welfare Prevention act does not appear to specify that a veterinarian necessarily has to perform the euthanasia, or that it is illegal to perform it at the owner's residence.

CRUELTY PREVENTION AND WELFARE OF ANIMAL ACT, B.E. 2557 (2014):

Section 20. No person shall perform any act which is deemed an act of cruelty to animal without justification.

Section 21. The following shall not be deemed cruelty to animal under section 20:

(1) killing an animal for food, this shall apply only to animals used as food;

(2) killing an animal under the law on animal killing control and meat vending;

(3) killing an animal to control animal contagious diseases under the law on animal contagious diseases;

(4) killing an animal in the case where a veterinarian considers an animal ill, disabled, or injured and cannot be treated or restored to survive without insufferable pain; (Note: "insufferable pain" may overstate intent of wording in original Thai language text - see above)

(5) killing an animal in accordance with a religious ritual or belief;

(6) killing animal in the case where there is a necessity to prevent danger to life or body of a human or other animal, or to prevent damage to property;

(7) any act to the body of an animal which is deemed a veterinary practice by a veterinarian by profession or a person who is exempt from registering, and being granted a veterinary license from the veterinary council as per the law on veterinary profession;

(8) cutting an ear, the tail, fur, horn, or tusk with reasonable justification and is harmless to an animal or the live of an animal;

(9) local traditional animal fight;

(10) any other act which is specifically permitted by the law;

(11) any other act which is prescribed by the Minister by Notification with the approval of the committee.

CRUELTY PREVENTION AND WELFARE OF ANIMAL ACT, B.E. 2557 (2014):

English: https://dld.go.th/th/images/stories/law/english/en_cruelty_prevention_act2014.pdf

Thai: https://pvlo-lpn.dld.go.th/webnew/images/stories/prakad/2561/cruelty.pdf

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 11:40 AM, KhunLA said:

I keep a stash of valiums, or whatever, JIC.  Figure I'd just give her more than enough to put her to sleep, if not enough, simple restrict her breathing until she passed.

So wouldn't feel a thing.

Strangely, losing my dogs (2) hit me harder than any family or friend passing.  Only thing worse would be a child, thankfully blessed without that emotional roller coaster.

A month ago I gave her 50 Valium tablets and she didn't even fall asleep so Valium is of no use on dogs.

Very difficult situation not being able to do anything in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's the latest?

She passed last week after 23 days without wanting to eat and 8 days no water. My vet friend in the states says he never heard of a dog lasting that long. I stayed with her at the end. I cried each night saying goodby as I though she would go before morning and then when she went, I had no tears left. My other dogs still try each day to dig her out under the grave stone. The other day, I watched my Lab carry a leaf over to the grave and drop it on it.She just sat there staring for a minute, then left. Shook my head in Wonder. We took in one last dog this week and have shut down our pet rescue project due to insensitivity of the vets here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, FarmerJoe said:

She passed last week after 23 days without wanting to eat and 8 days no water. My vet friend in the states says he never heard of a dog lasting that long. I stayed with her at the end. I cried each night saying goodby as I though she would go before morning and then when she went, I had no tears left. My other dogs still try each day to dig her out under the grave stone. The other day, I watched my Lab carry a leaf over to the grave and drop it on it.She just sat there staring for a minute, then left. Shook my head in Wonder. We took in one last dog this week and have shut down our pet rescue project due to insensitivity of the vets here.

Yes, I understand your situation perfectly because I went through the same phases so much so that I promised myself not to get a dog in Thailand again but only to feed the street dogs that I find in the morning when I go out for my morning walk.

• Thumbs Up 1

100's if not 1000's of people die every year *accidentally* from CO poisoning from either car exhaust or charcoal burners being used inside an unventilated or poorly ventilated room every year. I asterisked the word 'accidentally' because particularly from charcoal burners there is no odour, discomfort, pain or any indication of what is going on so that is an option.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 5:08 PM, Lacessit said:

There are vets who will euthanize dogs in Thailand, the trick is to find them. I found one in Phan.

If you know a Thai who has a gun, that would be quick.

I had to put down 2 dogs with a rifle. If done properly instant death.

Later on I had to euuthanise several dogs which was done with Phenobarbital IV, but I don't know if one can buy that in LOS. If one can it helps to sedate the dog first.

If all else fails, the valium first and a plastic bag would be the best IMO.

Puppies can be killed with an injection of air into the heart, but I don't know how big a syringe would be required for an adult dog.

Just in case anyone wonders how I had so much experience, they were working dogs. We don't get fraught over killing a sheep or a cow, do we?

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 7:49 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Culture be damned.  They are f-ing cowards, hiding behind some cultural BS when their clear duty is to ease the suffering of animals.  They are all useless and a f-ing disgrace. My dogs are still young but I dread the day when we need to take such a decision.  I'm so sorry. 

Correct on the culture. Some Thais had no problem sending dogs to Cambodia to be eaten ( for profit ).

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

On 1/2/2024 at 7:51 PM, Doctor Tom said:

As I say in a post above, just a load of BS. 

Agree it's BS. Probably thousands of dogs are put down every year in western countries just because they are no longer the adorable puppy a kid got at Xmas, or are strays.

• Like 1