Feeling virginal - applying for first time for retirement extension on my non-O non-Imm in Chiang Mai

First time EVER I have got a visa (always came on non-exempt) and want to apply for reitrement extension - arrived last Saturday and have 90 days. Went to CM Airpiort immigration office today after making an appointment online and the whole thing was farcical.

Told to come back in 40+ days time as I am "too early" - bring a completed form (which one?) and go to "information" and then wait, it seems.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It may be worthwhile to get a re-entry permit as well.

The updated extension will be needed if you do.

Retirement extension documents:

TM7 + 1 Passport photo. Obtain form from Immigration, blue biro.

Bank Letter.

Bank statement, 6 months duration.

Bank Book updated same day. Photocopy update as well.

Copies of all pages of bank book.

Copies of last extension + front page of passport, plus all stamped pages. Ensure hidden stamps are copied, and copy foldovers.

Reason for Extension: Retirement,  or Thai family.

1900 baht

Keep 1900 baht receipt, needed when collecting passport if left there.

( Blue colour )

Multiple re-entry permit:

TM8 + 1X Passport photo.

Copy of updated retirement extension.

Copy of front page of passport

Remember to paste in the photos on both forms.

Sign everything on all pages.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Bank Letter.

This "bank statement" thing is new to me. However, at my last extension, the officer did grumble a bit when she got just my bank letter, so maybe this was what she meant...

Anyway, just wanted to get some clarification about the "6 months duration." Does this mean the last 6 months leading up to the day of application. Say, if I apply in May then I need statement  each for previous Nov, Dec up to and including April?

And finally, does the bank issue these monthly statement pronto, or do they need me to come back the next day? Thanks.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, watthong said:

This "bank statement" thing is new to me. However, at my last extension, the officer did grumble a bit when she got just my bank letter, so maybe this was what she meant...

Anyway, just wanted to get some clarification about the "6 months duration." Does this mean the last 6 months leading up to the day of application. Say, if I apply in May then I need statement  each for previous Nov, Dec up to and including April?

And finally, does the bank issue these monthly statement pronto, or do they need me to come back the next day? Thanks.

The bank statement will be up to the date you ask for it at the bank, along with the bank letter. I usually get it one or two days before I present at Immigration for the extension.

I understand some immigration offices ask for a one year statement from the bank, which may take up to a week to get. The six month statement is usually about 20 minutes. A six month statement is acceptable at the Chiang Rai office.

IMO the passbook updated the same day should be the most significant document in determining whether the rules have been obeyed. However, this is Thailand, where superfluous paper rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The bank statement will be up to the date you ask for it at the bank, along with the bank letter. I usually get it one or two days before I present at Immigration for the extension.

I understand some immigration offices ask for a one year statement from the bank, which may take up to a week to get. The six month statement is usually about 20 minutes. A six month statement is acceptable at the Chiang Rai office.

IMO the passbook updated the same day should be the most significant document in determining whether the rules have been obeyed. However, this is Thailand, where superfluous paper rules.

Thanks for the clarification. So let me sum it up:
- It's one long - sheet of - statement covering the last 6 months up to the day I ask for it at the bank (as opposed to 6 separate monthly statements.)
- It takes  a little while (20 minutes) for the bank to issue, ie the same day. (Same as the bank letter, they usually ask me to come back in about 45 minutes, one hour.)
One more item...how much does this 6-month statement cost? (as the bank letter costs 100 baht.) Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Bank Letter.

Copies of last extension + front page of passport, plus all stamped pages. Ensure hidden stamps are copied, and copy foldovers.

1900 baht

( Blue colour )

TM8 + 1X Passport photo.

I always give them 12 months copies of statements , and been Bangkok Bank have to get it from Bangkok .

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, watthong said:

Thanks for the clarification. So let me sum it up:
- It's one long - sheet of - statement covering the last 6 months up to the day I ask for it at the bank (as opposed to 6 separate monthly statements.)
- It takes  a little while (20 minutes) for the bank to issue, ie the same day. (Same as the bank letter, they usually ask me to come back in about 45 minutes, one hour.)
One more item...how much does this 6-month statement cost? (as the bank letter costs 100 baht.) Thanks.

It's a single statement, covering the last six months.

In October, the bank charged me 200 baht. I assume it's 100 baht each.

I omitted to mention - the information I have posted originated from UbonJoe. Respect, and RIP.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Bank Letter.

1900 baht

( Blue colour )

TM8 + 1X Passport photo.

And 800,000 baht in a Thai bank in your name only. Most important of all.

11 hours ago, watthong said:

That can depend on what bank BKB are renown for being slow, especially for a 1yr statement, so I've been told,... whereas the Yellow bank Krungsri takes only 20min MAX. for any statement, letter etc. 

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, you will need to wait until you have 45 days or under left on your current visa before you can apply.

You will need two copies of the application form applicable (TM 86 or TM 87)
You may or may not be asked for proof that your seasoned funds came from abroad, if not already shown as FTT entries

TM30 will also be required.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Thank you for your helpful contribution which has added signiificant value to this discussion.

Oh, nevermind. Thank you! I happy to serve. I sincerely hope you will use my advice next time, so that you don´t have to walk home without answers to your questions. :-) 

"Feeling virginal - applying for first time for retirement extension on my non-O non-Imm in Chiang Mai"

So you have Never received ANAL SEX before?????

Obviously you never went to Boarding School!

Welcome to Thailand and the IMOs! :thumbsup::cheesy:

Edited by Troy Tempest

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I always give them 12 months copies of statements , and been Bangkok Bank have to get it from Bangkok .

regards worgeordie

I have never been asked for a bank statement, just the letter and updated passbook.  I use the 800K deposit method and never removed the money from this account except occasionally remove the interest-but it never goes below the 800K.

Am I missing something new, or does the statement only apply  if you are using the monthly income method?

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Anyone who is not aware of the 800,000 requirement for a single status retirement visa has been living under a rock.

Who fronts up to Immigration with a bank book having a lower balance? They'd need to repeat their potty training.

1 hour ago, Farangfoodie said:

I have never been asked for a bank statement, just the letter and updated passbook.  I use the 800K deposit method and never removed the money from this account except occasionally remove the interest-but it never goes below the 800K.

Am I missing something new, or does the statement only apply  if you are using the monthly income method?

You are talking about Chiang Mai Office ? ,I do exactly the same as you ,leave money in bank , some

other offices seem to want only a 6 month statement , but I have always given a 12 month one there.

as in the past they may have told me that's what they require .

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Actually you can also have your wife's name (if you trust her) as signatory 

below where you sign in back of the book ,where you need UV light to see,

handy for when I am on my deathbed she can get it out before account is

frozen ,

regards worgerdie

40 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Actually you can also have your wife's name (if you trust her) as signatory 

below where you sign in back of the book ,where you need UV light to see,

handy for when I am on my deathbed she can get it out before account is

frozen ,

regards worgerdie

I would have thought the wife's name would also have to be on the first page of the bankbook to make her a valid signatory. Which bank?

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would have thought the wife's name would also have to be on the first page of the bankbook to make her a valid signatory. Which bank?

Bangkok Bank , but also available at some others ...

regards worgeordie

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Bangkok Bank , but also available at some others ...

regards worgeordie

Thanks, I'll check it out with my local Bangkok Bank branch.

The 800K account was originally opened in Chiang Mai, which may be a snag.

On 12/12/2023 at 5:49 PM, nglodnig said:

First time EVER I have got a visa (always came on non-exempt) and want to apply for reitrement extension - arrived last Saturday and have 90 days. Went to CM Airpiort immigration office today after making an appointment online and the whole thing was farcical.

Told to come back in 40+ days time as I am "too early" - bring a completed form (which one?) and go to "information" and then wait, it seems.

So, you now have a 90 day non-imm O visa? Since you tried for the extension too soon.

• Like 1