Dealing with Threats from Defendants - Seeking Guidance on Protecting My Family and Myself

ElephantEgo

We're currently grappling with a serious issue involving the theft of our factory, and we're actively pursuing legal action against all the defendants, including several foreigners and one Thai, in both civil and criminal courts.

Regrettably, we've received verbal death threats from some of these individuals, such as threats implying that we are endangering ourselves, making enemies, and facing potential harm for cooperating with the police. These threats have been directed towards myself and my partners, who are the victims/plaintiffs in this case. Today, one of the defendants, a foreigner currently facing criminal charges, audaciously approached us inside the criminal court building and referenced a notorious New York mafia hitman before walking away.

Legal proceedings, as is common in many countries, are not swift, with approximately a 1 to 4 month waiting period between hearings. The defendants have exploited this delay to significantly impede the progress of the initial hearings.

The most recent criminal case hearing today, which was crucial for my testimony, was once again delayed because the threatening defendant did not have legal representation. However this individual had, in fact, visited my residence the previous night, blocking my driveway and intimidating us. We have evidence of this incident on CCTV and have promptly reported it to the police. Despite these threats, the hearing has been rescheduled for a whole month later, due to the defendant's lack of legal representation.

This situation allows a potentially dangerous individual to roam freely, posing a threat to my family for an extended period. Given the possibility of further delays (it has already been nine months since our factory was stolen) unfortunately the perpetrators can remain at large, continually threatening us and misappropriating the factory proceeds.

Our lawyers have advised us to report the death threats to the police, though the nature of these threats makes it challenging to provide concrete evidence. Even the threat made inside the court building today is not officially on record since it was not during the hearing (which had been, again, delayed).

To improve our safety, our lawyers recommended reporting incidents promptly and varying our daily schedule to avoid predictability. Despite having substantial evidence of theft, embezzlement, and fraud against the defendants, the legal process has been slow, awaiting the judge's initial examination of the evidence (there has yet to be an initial hearing) before making any decisive actions against the perpetrators.

Complicating matters further, some defendants have stated, even in writing, about connections within the police force who came to their partner's aid, which has hindered the progress of the case.

Considering the slow and potentially dangerous nature of seeking justice in our current environment, we seek advice on additional measures to protect ourselves and expedite our case.

Beyond installing more CCTV cameras, we are also interested in exploring non-lethal protective devices such as stun guns, tasers, or pepper spray.

Additionally, are there any legal avenues to ensure that threatening criminals, including foreigners, are not freely moving about as such, in a more timely manner at this important tourist zone of Thailand which is supposed to have a very lower tolerance for such figures?

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, ElephantEgo said:

We're currently grappling with a serious issue involving the theft of our factory, and we're actively pursuing legal action against all the defendants, including several foreigners and one Thai, in both civil and criminal courts.

Regrettably, we've received verbal death threats from some of these individuals, such as threats implying that we are endangering ourselves, making enemies, and facing potential harm for cooperating with the police. These threats have been directed towards myself and my partners, who are the victims/plaintiffs in this case. Today, one of the defendants, a foreigner currently facing criminal charges, audaciously approached us inside the criminal court building and referenced a notorious New York mafia hitman before walking away.

Legal proceedings, as is common in many countries, are not swift, with approximately a 1 to 4 month waiting period between hearings. The defendants have exploited this delay to significantly impede the progress of the initial hearings.

The most recent criminal case hearing today, which was crucial for my testimony, was once again delayed because the threatening defendant did not have legal representation. However this individual had, in fact, visited my residence the previous night, blocking my driveway and intimidating us. We have evidence of this incident on CCTV and have promptly reported it to the police. Despite these threats, the hearing has been rescheduled for a whole month later, due to the defendant's lack of legal representation.

This situation allows a potentially dangerous individual to roam freely, posing a threat to my family for an extended period. Given the possibility of further delays (it has already been nine months since our factory was stolen) unfortunately the perpetrators can remain at large, continually threatening us and misappropriating the factory proceeds.

Our lawyers have advised us to report the death threats to the police, though the nature of these threats makes it challenging to provide concrete evidence. Even the threat made inside the court building today is not officially on record since it was not during the hearing (which had been, again, delayed).

To improve our safety, our lawyers recommended reporting incidents promptly and varying our daily schedule to avoid predictability. Despite having substantial evidence of theft, embezzlement, and fraud against the defendants, the legal process has been slow, awaiting the judge's initial examination of the evidence (there has yet to be an initial hearing) before making any decisive actions against the perpetrators.

Complicating matters further, some defendants have stated, even in writing, about connections within the police force who came to their partner's aid, which has hindered the progress of the case.

Considering the slow and potentially dangerous nature of seeking justice in our current environment, we seek advice on additional measures to protect ourselves and expedite our case.

Beyond installing more CCTV cameras, we are also interested in exploring non-lethal protective devices such as stun guns, tasers, or pepper spray.

Additionally, are there any legal avenues to ensure that threatening criminals, including foreigners, are not freely moving about as such, in a more timely manner at this important tourist zone of Thailand which is supposed to have a very lower tolerance for such figures?

you haven't indicated how the other people stole your factory so its a bit hard to give great advice here.  I would video tape every encounter with these people in regard to threats and report to the police. The threat in the court is still a threat whether there was a court hearing or not so whoever said it wasn't isn't accurate. If you have a written copy of the admission of the person claiming police protection that is valuable evidence. . They are mainly BS talking crap to scare you but you would be well advise to prepare to defend yourself. I would also potential join one the many FB groups that assist in situation where cases fall silent or still. The media attention on these situations tends to get more response than anything.  What is your lawyer doing in all this other than not much by the sounds of it. I would consider another lawyers opinion at least on what can be done. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Get bodyguard protection.

This. ^^^

The Thai police, while possibly having the best of intentions, are not going to be able to protect you.

To be honest, most threats are never followed up on. They are psych games. But, you can never be sure.

And do not skimp on the bodyguard. You need someone who is experienced and can handle the job.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

no names or places mentioned, what is the problem?

There is a fair bit of information about unusual circumstances of the case which is current. I am not suggesting that he could be sued as a form of slander or similar.  I would simply not think it is wise to be giving your 2 cents about a current difficult complex case, where he admits some potentially bad people are involved, on a public forum. Could talk to his lawyer to see if it is wise. Not only about what he has said but what he may say next. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Bodyguards, at the house, and joining you/wife/kids(?) when out and about. If you have kids, alert school to the situation. Try to shop around for a serious firm (there are such, but they cost). The extra benefit is that the boss/owner is often ex-police/army and thus connected himself.

Improve surveillance at house - extra CCTV, locks, and if car parks out front, get (or DIY) some mirror on a stick contraption. I guess you do not live in some housing project, but if so and if there's a security team at the main gate, alert them to the situation as well. Dogs are good. Don't have to be rottweilers or anything, sounding the alarm when strangers come near is good enough. 

You lawyer is right about reporting to the police. Each and every time. Even if they do not do much initially, the bulk will eventually make it harder to explain, and maybe someone would realize this could end up making them look bad. Keep records of each complaint/event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You are giving a fair bit of information on your interpretation of a current case. Is that wise? I would consider deleting this post. 

There's nothing that identifies anyone or any business or how the business was stolen 

You’re being defensive which is a good thing provided the offenders will not overcome it. You know police and authorities will not do a great deal for you. Sometimes it works to show the offenders that you have the ability to trump their intention (or bluff) by doing to them the same thing. All it takes is to pay a bit of money to your friendly mocy taxi driver to gather a couple of friends with tats (rough looking)  to visit the offenders showing them that two can play that game. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Everyone is laughing at me - not with me - about my concerns about this post. Concur not a lot can happen but when you talk about a case noting the hearings are specifically today that limits the cases that it could be about. I wouldn't, as an expat, discuss the case on the no 1 public expats forum if only out of an abundance of caution. Given the people apparently involved. Oh well. 

Anyone else involved in that case who reads that OP will certainly recognize it and who wrote it.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people are successful in LOS with business, be it bars, factories or real estate. Or at least appear so.

But when I read stories like this (and so many countless others like it over the years) they all sound the same and I ask myself why anyone would want to do business here.

I think the rule ''never invest more here than you can easily walk away from'' rings 100% true. It's a rule I certainly adhere to myself for 20 years and it works really well.

Peace of mind is priceless.

2 hours ago, PeachCH said:

You can't rely on online advices. 

Your lawyers should know how to handle, otherwise replace them! 

The case seems to have morphed into something including (potentially) violent criminal element. Not all lawyers specialize in that. Not all would have the experience needed. Regarding home security stuff, don't think a lawyer's advice would necessarily be more on point than posters' here.  

Edited by Morch

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

How much does it cost to hire bodyguards full-time?

And how long will the court case last?

How often are court hearings?

Maybe move to a neighboring country or another province in Thailand and just pop in for the court hearings and only hire a bodyguard for court hearings. 

I have no idea, but I'd assume moving house to another country, plus trying to manage the court case from afar would come with considerable costs as well. Another province, maybe. Also, it might be possible to add the extra security expenses to the asked for compensation - so that in case the OP wins it might (assuming the other side pays up) cover that.

• Agree 1