Irishman’s life hangs by a thread after mosquito bite in Thailand

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, BusyB said:

That's old and out of date.

Even if you actually got that from a genuine embassy site, it's out of date from the Covid era. I can assure you. I'm on a Non-O retirement extension. It's not required. It's why many change from O-A to Non-O to escape the health insurance requirements.

Are you blind did you follow the link which is to the CURRENT Thai London Embassy website

23 minutes ago, tandor said:

you said "the dengue that's comparatively rare"  What do you mean!

Mr. Google says this, and i would agree 100%.............As of November 2023, the accumulated number of people infected with dengue in Thailand amounted to approximately 123.1 thousand people.

I said comparatively meaning mossy bites.

How many bites have you had? How many times have you gone down with dengue? How many people do you know have gone down with dengue compared to how many people you know. 123k accumulated out of 60 million is still not exactly a raging plague. I've been bitten dozens, nay hundreds of times over the decades. Never had dengue. Yet.

The initial comment said ' a rare mosquito bite', which is obvious piffle. Sad writing, sad editing. That was my point.

(Better statistics in the Thaiger article; 80-400m infections globally. 20-40k deaths annually. Global population is about 8bn.)

• Sad 1

The story written smells with lack of information.

Although 36 not sure he has pre-existing condition the the bite should stop him in his tracks from continuing his trip.  

I had Dengue at 70 in good shape I had a fever ache and pain. After a few days of self teatment no response I decide to go private hospital knowing a blood test would be given confirm dengue. Knowing their MO stay I ask course of treatment told not much We can do except rest fluid. Since I was active I decline Dr. had no objection said if get worse come back regardless 2-3 days for another blood test to check the number which I did and numbers for infection dengue dropped. 

My son 23 a few month after same thing decline overnight stay difference they took him to a room gave him a 30 minute IV, went home rest few days later back for test counts drop.

Without knowing his whole story the cost on the surface is a big rip off but this should be of no surprise to anyone who isnt blinded!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RobU said:

Are you blind did you follow the link which is to the CURRENT Thai London Embassy website

It's an acknowledged fact that the site is badly maintained. You obviously are new to that fact. There are similar failures in site maintenance on the Berlin embassy site as well. Please get off your high horse. I repeat, I am on a Non-O with extension. Are you? Were you asked for health cover?

I know what I'm talking about.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

On the gofundme page it mentioned something about being in Thailand beyond his original planned duration of stay.

Perhaps he had a 60 day policy and decided to extend for another month.

I've never seen a travel insurance policy which is linked to flight dates but maybe that's a thing. Not very helpful if you get ill on the way to the airport - like the taxi crashes - 5 hours of treatment then they cut you off because you're holiday has ended. Strange.

Actually I am travelling on insurance that has a maximum stay away which  expires on 27th of this month when I leave Thailand for another sldestination . I then have a Thai travel insurance that kicks in for the next 120 days. ... I even if you have insurance you can get caught out. There are companies that insure under 65 even though the journey has commenced.  I am over that age.

15 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Maybe the farangs who spend so much on tickets, hotels and the rest should make sure they get adequate health insurance cover for their trip.

The cheap packages that sometimes come with baggage insurance and trip cancellation etc. are by their nature pretty limited. And if the travel dates go beyond the scope of the policy dates, the whole policy is invalid. 30 days insurance won't cover you for day one of a 31 day holiday even if you pay the premium. Many policies say ''1 year cover'', but what they really mean is any number of trips up to 30/45/90 days duration within that year - it's not 1 year cover. Credit card insurance is often of this type.  

Get a proper travel health insurance from a company with a good reputation like Ergo, Axa, Travel Nomads or the such like. Make sure it covers stuff like diving. If not there are specialized policies for things like that.

I use a policy that covers 100% in and outpatient and medevac for 105 euros a month. It covers me for up to 1 year travel abroad - except US. If I return early the final monthly premium is adjusted accordingly. I'm late 60s with no previous. At 70 it triples 555.

After a recent long term trip alI medical bills I handed in were remitted within days, no questions asked.

It's really not rocket science. It's self care - as well as respect for the rest of the community by not expecting others to fund my laziness, dimness or cheapness.

Yeah that much information can be confusing for some. Can't be helped. Maybe go read a comic instead.

5 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

What I can't understand is why it is so severe in his case. Dengue is not rare by any means and very seldom a problem unless the patient is young, old or has other conditions. They don't even bother to hospitalise most cases and it passes in only a few days. He's only 36 and seems to be fit and strong. So what's different here?

There is one strain of the virus which causes severe haemorrhagic symptoms which can be deadly.

2 hours ago, sfbandung said:

Dengue is nasty but shouldn't be life threatening in an otherwise healthy person. He is only 36. 

Maybe you should watch Rikki in Issan on YouTube, his wife gave birth to twins, came home, then a few days feeling unwell went back to hospital and died that night. They were both unwell before, and he gives everybody a warning to get an injection for it. Young Australian guy now left with twin daughter babies to care for. So so sad 😭😭

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

I was in a private hospital when I had Dengue fever. Private room. 24-hour nursing assistants and doctor. Was in for 6 days. Cost the insurance company B38,500

Bet they made a big profit out of that for their Business.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If people can't afford to buy travel insurance they can't afford to travel. It's beyond foolish imagining that they will never need it.

It might already be required, but Thailand should require proof of insurance before allowing a tourist to enter, if only to protect the foolish from their own stupidity.

Well said!👍👏

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

This is not a fair and accurate representation of government hospitals. Perhaps it applies in some cases but it certainly doesn't in my neck of the woods. As said earlier, the further away you are from a District Hospital, the worse it seems to be.

Agree as with KC hospital, no surgeons and doctors appear to be trainees, I try to avoid it at all costs and head straight over to TRAT govt. hospital.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tonypattaya said:

This gofundme nonsense is an invitation for people to ignore taking their own responsibility. If all his family of 8 siblings, plus other close relatives, cannot raise his hospital fee of 3,000 Euros, then they shouldn't be taking foreign holidays.

That's one opinion.

Having been disappointed on several occasions by travel insurance plans that seem bent on finding a reason to deny reimbursement, I'm not that big a fan. Fortunately,  it's mostly been small money, but then I fear that they won't come through when it really counts. 

I've helped people through overseas cash binds which are pretty common given the vagaries of foreign exchange and international ATMs, lost wallets and the like. Especially 20 years ago.  I've always been paid back.  The idea of GoFundMe to spread out the need among lots of friends seems like a good trend.

• Agree 1

I really hope the guy recovers for the sake of himself and his elderly parents.

Moving on, it is the sole responsibility of the traveller to make sure they are adequately insured for the complete trip, even if it means seeking additional cover for two days before departure to two days after return.

Never mind asking strangers to Go fund me, because you didn't look after your affairs or put your own house in order.

Insurance should be top of every traveller's list. It isn't there as a chosen 'add on 'if you can be bothered, or contemplating 'Can I afford it, is it necessary' etc.  You can't 'not afford it '!

Some on here are no better, shuffling between visa options because they don't want to pay health insurance.

If you can't afford long absences from your home country by paying travel insurance or expats residing here but not wanting to pay for health insurance, you shouldn't be in SE Asia or travelling anywhere.

I have seen plenty saying they self insure and then trying like hell to get a flight back to Blighty when they have a medical emergency, because they had no funds or had spent them on something else.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Be great if Thailand could subsidise the dengue vaccine. At 5,000-6,000 (baht)a shot it's out of reach for most people in Thailand. 

Is that price at a private hospital like Bangkok hospital? Do Thais have to pay that price at a government hospital?

Edited by brianthainess

59 minutes ago, BusyB said:

It's an acknowledged fact that the site is badly maintained. You obviously are new to that fact. There are similar failures in site maintenance on the Berlin embassy site as well. Please get off your high horse. I repeat, I am on a Non-O with extension. Are you? Were you asked for health cover?

I know what I'm talking about.

So do I

Whether it is badly maintained or not. The fact is that you are still required to submit evidence of healthcare insurance to get a visa from the Thai London Embassy which can only be done online via the website. Your opinion is not fact the evidence is there for you to see.

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AdrianUk said:

Thats the most expensive ICU I have heard off,  this happens all the time here,  the ambulance guys that work for free get a 10% commission, so all the farang get set to the most expensive hospitals, then we see everyone begging for money in the media and family panicking and losing everything,  so the hospital can make a fortune!  I understand the value in better hospitals, but the family should be told the options,  my friend was in ICU in a government hospital for 2500 baht a day. Maybe the media could do a better job of pointing this out, the hospital don't give a crap the financial problems they make.

Yep the hospitals seems to pay commission to bring them patients, however mistakes do happen. My gf was involved in an accident 2 weeks ago, and the ambulance brought one of the injured (Thai) to one of the private hospitals in Samui. The hospital made quick assessment that she may not have money to pay, and she was expelled immediately to the government hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Sad.  If the family can read this, move him to a Government hospital, they know how to deal with Dengue at much cheaper rates.

Good advice but I'm thinking they'll use him as a hostage until they get paid off. TIT

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, David in the north said:

A report in A UK newspaper yesterday, stated his insurance "had run out"

This is a problem with most policies,they don’t allow you to extend nor even commence a policy AFTER you have departed - unless the delay is an enforced event ,often a claimable one in itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, RobU said:

So do I

Whether it is badly maintained or not. The fact is that you are still required to submit evidence of healthcare insurance to get a visa from the Thai London Embassy which can only be done online via the website. Your opinion is not fact the evidence is there for you to see.

From your own post. Please read it and comprehend:

Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

That is clearly an old requirement from the Covid era, requiring a certificate guaranteeing coverage for COVID. It is not a requirement for general health insurance. It also even applied to tourist visas at that time. All Covid requirements were abolished July 2022.

For the third time: Believe me, it is not my 'opinion'. I am on a Non-O retirement visa, with a one year extension. It does NOT require any kind of proof of health insurance. (I do carry good health insurance though because it makes sense.)

Why don't you check out the visa forum? You'll find the very same information there. It's only the 1 year O-A that requires health insurance. For the second time: that is why many shift from the O-A to Non-O, in order to avoid having to pay for health insurance. We then read about what happens when you're not insured in threads like this.

If you can't afford decent health coverage, you shouldn't be in south east Asia. But that doesn't make it an immigration requirement.

Edited by BusyB
July 2022
  • Like 1