Has Your Arrival in Thailand Caused You to Change Your Religion?

GammaGlobulin

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Only if you think Buddhism is a 'religion.'  I'm a "Buddhist."  A devout Buddhist at that.

But in my perspective?  Buddhism IS NOT a religion.  Religions are based on Faith. Religions are based on a belief in a transcendent "God" who provided the faithful with their due.

Buddha was a man.  He provided a philosophy and a technique to transcend what you hold on to as "reality."

You either understand or you don't.

Now.  Are there "Gods" in Buddhism? Yep.  Absolutely.  But Buddha's not a God.  Yet there are deities in the Buddhist cosmologies.  Some of the 'gods' are "Buddhas."  I'm sure I just ripped somebodies mind out of their socket.
There ya go.  Welcome to the conundrums, riddles, and paradoxes of the Buddhist as a so-called, "religion."

:angry: You're a heretic!!!
:thumbsup: Only if you are a believer in a religion which labels "non-believers" as heretics. 

Here's the ultimate conundrum - Understanding first-hand (NDE and deep meditation), and yet, embracing something that calls itself a "religion" and yet I have no "religious FAITH."  Nope - I've experience in what is referred to as "religious FAITH," which was derived from introspection.  Big Difference.

Nope - I'm a Buddhist who doesn't attach to any Buddhist theocracy (because there is no theism in Buddhism - speaking from direct experience).
And yet? 

If you have engaged in a whole lot of years practicing meditation........ You might understand.  Or not.

I can't wait for someone to tell me there is "Nothing After Death!!!"

Really? 

EXCELLENT!  I hope so.  But.  (Here's my faith speaking).  You are probably wrong. 

:annoyed: THERE IS NOTHING AFTER DEATH!"
:thumbsup: Wonderful.  I hope there is only - nothingness.  Just Emptiness.  

Understand? 

Probably not.....................................

2 hours ago, Red Forever said:
On 12/14/2023 at 10:25 PM, Ralf001 said:

Santa is not real.

Nor is the imaginary friend of those who believe in the "creator".

Exactly. Talking to one's imaginary friend might be construed as a sign of mental instability, but call it religion and call the "friend" God, and it becomes OK !

IMO, religion (ALL of them) are the world's biggest conspiracy theories :tongue:

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

Exactly. Talking to one's imaginary friend might be construed as a sign of mental instability, but call it religion and call the "friend" God, and it becomes OK !

IMO, religion (ALL of them) are the world's biggest conspiracy theories :tongue:

my religion is -don't let someone tell you you have to go out killing people- don't rape women- don't molest little kids- don't thieve., and be honest.Most nowaday religions are just money-making businesses

• Agree 1

It's easy to change religions if all if have is "religion" and not a personal relationship with the Creator of the universe, the one and only true God. When one accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and experiences a spiritual rebirth from above, that person is "sealed" by the Holy Spirit and guaranteed eternal life in Heaven with The Father, Son, Holy Spirit and all those who are part of the family of God. Once one receives the Holy Spirit, you don't just "change your mind" and become the whore chasing other religions. It is impossible for anything to take you from the Hand of God once you belong to HIm, and you will never have a desire to seek another path. It was said of Abraham..... Yet he did not waver through disbelief in the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God was able to do what He had promised. The true follower of Christ will have the same faith as Abraham, if not greater. Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, and no man comes to the Father except by ME! That alone should be enough reason to never seek another God!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2023 at 2:24 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

After you came to Thailand, did you decide to change your religion?

I did not have any!!! 
life is more beautiful without religion. If I was a in Middle East I would be dead for what I say, now you imagine what a religion could be. besides that I don't believe in any religion. 

18 hours ago, Stocky said:

Why choose one at all?

I came here without any belief, except in my own abilities, and nothing has changed my mind. But if a bit of mumbo-jumbo makes you happy, good for you.

Religion is OK, worship any religion you want, as long as you don't ram it down other peoples throats, or interfere in anyone else's life.

Nope, not really.

I appreciate Buddhism and Christianity.

Can't say I am a full believer in anything.

I disdain Thai Buddhism and I certainly ain't Catholic anymore, but that has nothing to do with coming to Thailand,  and I probably was never really Catholic anyway.

Hahahaha I already believed in reincarnation before I got here, so no no changing as I dont believe my local monk, priest, pope, Rabbi, Mulla etc dictating to me how I should see the world, but if anything ive widened my my mind realising how powerful we are.