Do YOU Think It Will Be a SUPER Cold Winter in Thailand, This Year?

GammaGlobulin

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hi Folks,

I have this feeling that THIS year, our winter in Thailand will be very cold, even though we are in the throes of the El Niño.

Is anyone here old enough to recall the SUPER-Cold winter of 2013/2014?

That winter was truly quite cold for Thailand.

THAT year, I actually went out and purchased TWO winter coats....

And still, I was not warm enough.

That year, we experienced many nights with biting cold wind blowing upon us.

I recall that year so clearly, because, ....

Loi Krathong holiday, that year, was so cold that we needed mittens just to make our baskets to float on an almost-frozen canal in Chiang Mai.

We are in the midst of an unprecedented period of Global Warming, and this means that almost ANYTHING can happen, weatherwise....

The Polar Winds have become destabilized, and this means that there can be deep dips of arctic air coming our way, on Any Given Sunday...or even on a Manic Monday....

I just hope that people will remember...IF...

The weather in Chiang Mai, or Chiang Rai, for that matter, becomes frigid once more, as it did in 2013...

That we will remain aware of the fact that burning petroleum products, coal, or, in fact, burning anything inside one's house, just to stay warm, comes with risks.

The house should be well ventilated, and even then...there remains the risk of CO inhalation.

I love the cold weather, just as a welcome respite before we head into the HOT Season in Thailand, which is likely to be super hot, this year.

And so, what do you think?

Will we have the same frigid temps we experienced in 2013, all over again?

I say that we will....just because I can feel the cold in my bones, coming on, already.

What say you all?

Regards,

Gamma

I don't know what you feel in your pants....However, in CM still above 30 centigrade and hardly any chance lower than 25-28.🧑‍🎄

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you recall the winter of 2013 in Thailand?

Try to recall.

And, it seems to me that this winter might be a repeat of that winter.

What do you think?

I recall it as I arrived on 31 Dec 2013. That was the last normal cool season. Since then all the cool seasons have been unusually warm. Rare for the minimum temp to drop below 20C for more than a day or two. Ruins the fruit production on my marian plum trees.

36 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Noted; I wouldn't dream of attempting to compete when it comes to ridiculous comments - you do rather set the "gold standard"!

I can think of a few choice words to replace "gold" and put in front of "standard" but the system would delete them!

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

I recall it as I arrived on 31 Dec 2013. That was the last normal cool season. Since then all the cool seasons have been unusually warm. Rare for the minimum temp to drop below 20C for more than a day or two. Ruins the fruit production on my marian plum trees.

I definitely agree.

However, as the polar winds continue to destabilize, we may yet see frigid temps return this year if we can just get a few good gusts from Hairbin.

2 hours ago, kevin612 said:

I never experienced cold weather in Bangkok and pattaya

Were you there in BKK when the temperature dropped to 10 degrees C?

Maybe not exactly frigid, but definitely brisk, and some might mistakenly say brusque.

Or, maybe you could have said that, too.

I'm so old I remember the winter of 1993, which was the Year of No Winter. It not only got as hot during the day as during the rainy season, it did not cool off at night. On the other hand I also remember the winter of 1982, when I was living up on the Korat Plateau. On New Year's Eve it got down to 4° Celsius and I was glad I had my Army cold weather gear (I had just retired that year). It doesn't look like this winter is going to be particularly cold, but I've learned I have no weather sense in Thailand.

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Is anyone here old enough to recall the SUPER-Cold winter of 2013/2014?

I think, I remember. Suddenly Thais were walking around in jackets, as the temperature had dropped to 22 degr. C or so.

I loved it, and still walked around in a T-shirt, as it just felt like spring back home.

No. IMO the winter so far in Chiang Rai is definitely warmer than last year.

On a nominal scale of measurement, I only need a sheet to sleep under, and my GF has not resorted to her sheepskin Ugg boots. Last year, she wore them for 2 months.

7 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I think, I remember. Suddenly Thais were walking around in jackets, as the temperature had dropped to 22 degr. C or so.

I loved it, and still walked around in a T-shirt, as it just felt like spring back home.

Also, the students at CMU stopped wearing short skirts for a week, and life became overly tedious.

I always look at the locals, when predicting about winter...:whistling:

And YES, I'm afraid it's going to be an utterly cold winter, the locals on Koh Samui have collected a huge number of logs for firewood for their central steam-heater…

888)wIMG20231019151651_fire-wood.jpg.7f1c5e59a6c535e605e7a478139afdaa.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I always look at the locals, when predicting about winter...:whistling:

And YES, I'm afraid it's going to be an utterly cold winter, the locals on Koh Samui have collected a huge number of logs for firewood for their central steam-heater…

888)wIMG20231019151651_fire-wood.jpg.7f1c5e59a6c535e605e7a478139afdaa.jpg

Fantastic!

I KNEW it!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai is what we are concerned about, this winter.

Why didn't you start this thread in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai forum. The thread title says "Do YOU Think It Will Be a SUPER Cold Winter in Thailand, This Year?" which is asinine.

Thailand spans 15 degrees of latitude and 2565m of elevation. I live in Hat Yai, which is 7 degrees north of the equator, the night time temperature seldom goes lower than 22°C in January and normally stay above 24°C. The idea of a "SUPER Cold Winter" in southern Thailand is laughable.

22 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Why didn't you start this thread in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai forum. The thread title says "Do YOU Think It Will Be a SUPER Cold Winter in Thailand, This Year?" which is asinine.

Thailand spans 15 degrees of latitude and 2565m of elevation. I live in Hat Yai, which is 7 degrees north of the equator, the night time temperature seldom goes lower than 22°C in January and normally stay above 24°C. The idea of a "SUPER Cold Winter" in southern Thailand is laughable.

Have you ever studied SET THEORY in your past math classes.

My title is logically correct.

Also, formal logic.

Have you ever studied formal logic in your days at university?

My title is logically correct.

• Haha 1

It’s a little warmer than usual here in cm lately, though I predict it’s going to start getting colder than usual. An unusually dry rainy season just passed and just one or two showers this month as of yet. Wetter weather patterns = warmer climate. Dry weather patterns = cooler climate. It’s going to get cold in the north. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you recall the winter of 2013 in Thailand?

Try to recall.

And, it seems to me that this winter might be a repeat of that winter.

What do you think?

I don't know what the weather was like in 2013, up in Chiang Mai, but I do recall what I was told by a guy I used to work with in California. 

He was retired from the U.S. Air Force.  He was stationed in Chiang Mai sometime in the 1960's.   I don't recall if he said when in the 1960's.   

I do remember he said it snowed in Chiang Mai when he was there.  That was back before the dreaded global warming, climate change propaganda started. 

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

GammaGlobulin is on my ignore list since a long time. But I still see his and other threads from ignored posters on the side.

Is a headline like really the best you can do?

Next question: Will it be hot next summer? Yes. Topic closed.

Yes, he is on my ignore line as well but as you I have to read the response as well.

12 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I don't know what the weather was like in 2013, up in Chiang Mai, but I do recall what I was told by a guy I used to work with in California. 

He was retired from the U.S. Air Force.  He was stationed in Chiang Mai sometime in the 1960's.   I don't recall if he said when in the 1960's.   

I do remember he said it snowed in Chiang Mai when he was there.  That was back before the dreaded global warming, climate change propaganda started. 

Yes.  I think your guy was entirely correct.

I have seen photos of Thai kids in Chiang Mai making snowmen , and getting into snowball fights in the streets of Chiang Mai, near the Chiang Mai canal area.

That was the year, I think, when there was frost on the windowpanes and icicles hanging from the coconut palms on the CMU campus.

The students were attending classes in long underwear that semester.