Looking For Gringo (Foreigner) Ghetto's

JimTripper

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO as we get older, we tend towards staying at home in our comfort zone much more. I am well and truly over international travel. I occasionally travel to Chiang Mai to visit friends.

I mainly go out to restaurants for variety, there's a limit to the dishes I can cook in the condo.

This. So you have time to explore and develop the inner space. Reading writing, hobbies . . . .

Edited by BigStar

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

This. So you have time to explore and develop the inner space. Reading writing, hobbies . . . .

But not everyone who locks themself up in their condo all day will do that.

Instead, they are more likely to mope around and be prone to depression. 

Also, an eye doctor said rates of myopia are increasing in teens. He attributes this to not spending enough time outdoors.

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Makati seems like it would just be another Bangkok though. The locals would not be Thai, but it's still living around people that are too different, poorer, whatever. The same situation as in Thailand.

Poor people don't really live in BGC.  Richer Filipinos, perhaps, but they aren't that different, imo.  Certainly not compared to Thais or Asians, in general.  But up to you.

I would say a moo baan,I intended to buy an house in a moo baan at the dark side kao noi. One afternoon we went to visit several houses. But.. at the entrance of the site we heard a farang shouting a few houses away, And then another farang, and than thai wives. We escaped asap

10 minutes ago, vangrop said:

I would say a moo baan,I intended to buy an house in a moo baan at the dark side kao noi. One afternoon we went to visit several houses. But.. at the entrance of the site we heard a farang shouting a few houses away, And then another farang, and than thai wives. We escaped asap

Right, living around low class foreigners would be just as bad. I just mentioned Thai's because I typically can't avoid the interaction.

With low class foreigners I just don't get involved or don't respond so it never becomes an issue or irritation, as long as they are not immediate neighbors or something.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

But not everyone who locks themself up in their condo all day will do that.

Instead, they are more likely to mope around and be prone to depression. 

A solution needn't be universally applicable to be valid. (That excuse is often used here to reject any particular diet.) In fact, I don't really think it will be for the OP. He doesn't do anything he doesn't have to. If he learns that the desired farang ghetto does in fact exist, he won't bother to move there.

My point is that the choice exists. A reclusive existence can also be rewarding rather than miserable, depending on what he makes of it. 'Course, now, he needn't be annoyed with Thais, either, though he thinks he does. As Viktor Frankl, holocaust survivor, wrote, Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I didnt want to list all the attractions of California

Before the gubmint employer I worked for in california transferred me to wanna be california, pennsylvania, I saw a lot of great attractions in california.   

Those attractions were away from the major population centers out in the countryside of california.   I found that the fewer progressive (yes, even back 27 years ago) there were around, the better california was.  

A gated falang community sounds like my idea of hell, but if you really want that, look at the mooban estates near to the main international schools.  I'm referring to the international schools that mainly cater to ex-pat families.

Bangkok Pattana, Shrewsbury, NIST etc.  There's mooban gated estates close to those schools that are almost entirely occupied by foreigners.  

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have always felt comfortable with my own company, the term is claustrophilic. Isaac Asimov was noted for being a claustrophile. His IQ was 160.

I read, listen to music, and entertain myself responding to posters on ASEAN. Currently watching the final season of Boardwalk Empire.

I can accept that lifestyle does not suit everyone, we all are different.

I do still get out for swimming and golf, not a total hermit.

Similar to me in many ways, although I don't go out swimming or playing golf, but I do go out searching various wine outlets for new experiences/wines, and also I have a couple of favourite bona fide massage places which I like to visit, mainly because many decades of playing a good standard of football, and later, tennis, have left me with a few aches and pains.

I've always felt comfortable with my own company as well, although I do feel sorry for a couple of friends of mine here who don't feel comfortable with their own company, so frequently look for live-in female companions to satisfy that need as they think they have to be in a relationship, mainly because they don't like to be on their own, but ultimately these fail, and one of these guys has been married four times already, and another seven times – – and both looking at changes (again).

As for looking for "gringo/foreigner ghettos", IMO, in amongst that lot there maybe one or two genuine and intelligent friends with whom to be able to pass the time of day, but mainly I have found many, many drongos here, with whom I wouldn't want to associate.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

Nirun Grand Condo in Pattaya is definitely a ghetto, but there's lots of contact often paid, with the locals so by your criteria of no contact with locals, Nichada Thani in Bangkok is definitely more of a Ghetto than Nirun 

Nichada Thani looks nice, but it's way over my budget as a single guy. It's more for people with huge families needing a large house and an attached school. Would look weird living there as a single guy. Nirun is too low budget and gritty Thai street life at your doorstep.

What I need is an exclusive condo or condo development that has large grounds for recreation, shopping, pools, etc so I don't have to go outside the complex all the time, but is still within the city or close to public transportation.

I looked at Meenam Residences on the river in Bangkok as a possibility, but never followed through. At least that was backed by the river so it had some outside area to hang out in only for residents, not just walking out into the street.

Edited by JimTripper

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Nichada Thani looks nice, but it's way over my budget as a single guy. It's more for people with huge families needing a large house and an attached school. Would look weird living there as a single guy. Nirun is too low budget and gritty Thai street life at your doorstep.

What I need is an exclusive condo or condo development that has large grounds for recreation, shopping, pools, etc so I don't have to go outside the complex all the time, but is still within the city or close to public transportation.

I looked at Meenam Residences on the river in Bangkok as a possibility, but never followed through. At least that was backed by the river so it had some outside area to hang out in only for residents, not just walking out into the street.

Why not find a better country for you?

• Thanks 1

Laguna Phuket is pretty close to what you are looking for, but expensive. No locals apart from workers and no through traffic - it's close to being a gated community.

Alternatively, there are some Rusasian-funded major developments in various stages of completion just down the road in Layan - search "Sunshine Beach Resort Phuket" and "La Green Hotel and Residence Phuket"

* Most Russians are okay, especially the ones with money, and they generally like to keep themselves to themselves - I have a couple next door and they are fine.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/23/2023 at 7:32 PM, Lacessit said:

there's a limit to the dishes I can cook in the condo.

You don't say....

EAT, DRINK, MAN, WOMAN..

Grand Hotel Taipei, setting for the film...

Ang Lee, DIRECTOR.

I haven't had a truly SPECTACULAR meal since I left China....

Still, I could do OK if I could have just one 75,000 BTU burner on a tripod....outdoors.

There is no cuisine as good as Chinese cuisine, anywhere, period.

Why don't you hop a plane to GuangDong, Sichuan, and Beijing?

If only you could leave your condo....

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You don't say....

EAT, DRINK, MAN, WOMAN..

Grand Hotel Taipei, setting for the film...

Ang Lee, DIRECTOR.

I haven't had a truly SPECTACULAR meal since I left China....

Still, I could do OK if I could have just one 75,000 BTU burner on a tripod....outdoors.

There is no cuisine as good as Chinese cuisine, anywhere, period.

Why don't you hop a plane to GuangDong, Sichuan, and Beijing?

If only you could leave your condo....

After Thai food, I found Chinese food to be quite boring in Hong Kong.

Still, one can't say it is not fresh.

Merry Christmas, or whatever it is you celebrate.

• Like 1