New Pink Line is down in less than a month

Irrumator

went on the new yellow line yesterday for the first time. what a laugh it was. 

the track and door don't line up. you have about a 5 or 6 inch drop from the car to the platform. then while it was in operation (driverless) it felt like it was built by a bunch of high school kids as a fun time project. horrible ride not smooth at all. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Thai workmanship on display yet again. Slapdash, no checks, no double checks, no safety rules, no quality control.

To be accurate, I understand that most of the workers were Cambodian, but of course, supervisory and management staff would be Thai.  

It's THEY who should have their backsides kicked.

Having said that, I am wondering how they are going to manage to cover all this up.  Not a good advert for monorail systems hurried through on the cheap.  

I am reminded that when a Thai airliner had its undercarriage collapsed at Swampy, they just painted over the Thai logos (talk about head in the sand, eh?)  and then when it was serviceable a while later, there were all sorts of religious ceremonies to bless the craft and the airport.

What's the betting the same will happen on the Pink Line?

Edited by Irrumator
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I took the pink line from Minburi most of the way and back the other day and it was fine (didn't notice any swaying or bumpiness).

Funnily enough though, at one of the stations, I was looking closely at the brackets by which the power line is attached to the concrete. There are vertical slots in the concrete every couple of metres into which are fitted brackets holding the power line, but only half of the slots had brackets. I was wondering why they had used only half the available slots (or why the concrete was constructed with twice as many slots than were needed). I guess they thought they would save some time and money on the brackets... 

• Like 1

Never really understood the enthusiasm for monorails! The technology for conventional "light rail" (SkyTrain, underground and airport link is proven. There must be the potential for communality both within Thailand and worldwide when it comes to the next generation of rolling stock, extensions, increasing capacity and so on, so why go for unproven unique technology when building additional routes?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

To be fair to Thailand on this occasion the new London Elizabeth Line suffered a prolonged power cut a few weeks ago leaving passengers trapped for hours on a darkened train.

There you go...  Letting facts get in the way of a good Thai bash. 

Best to just stand aside and let 'em tell us how much smarter they are back home.  While enjoying all that Thailand has on offer.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Thai workmanship on display yet again. Slapdash, no checks, no double checks, no safety rules, no quality control.

Nonsense, for such a project I think you will find that the E&M was designed, supplied, supervised, checked, implemented, tested and commisioned by some international companies.

Edited by freeworld

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Never really understood the enthusiasm for monorails!

They are much cheaper. 

IIRC yellow line monorail cost one sixth of what a real train would have cost. 

BTW 

Workers are Cambodian

Supervisors are Thai

Technology is Chinese

Payer is Thai

Take your pick whom to blame

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

There you go...  Letting facts get in the way of a good Thai bash. 

Best to just stand aside and let 'em tell us how much smarter they are back home.  While enjoying all that Thailand has on offer.

5km power lines falling down - a teething problem

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Lorry said:

They are much cheaper. 

IIRC yellow line monorail cost one sixth of what a real train would have cost. 

BTW 

Workers are Cambodian

Supervisors are Thai

Technology is Chinese

Payer is Thai

Take your pick whom to blame

Technology is actually Canadian/ French.

19 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Never really understood the enthusiasm for monorails! The technology for conventional "light rail" (SkyTrain, underground and airport link is proven. There must be the potential for communality both within Thailand and worldwide when it comes to the next generation of rolling stock, extensions, increasing capacity and so on, so why go for unproven unique technology when building additional routes?

The MRT system has been an incredible success and with the congestion in Bangkok the monorails make perfect sense. If you look at an alternative to them, just look at the construction going on in Samut Sakorn, how long has it been? 15 years already and another 10 to 15 years to go? 

Rarely use these technological marvels of transportation, I just wish they would fix the pot holes and cracks along with lack of drains where we are, and thats in Bangkok. Drive over the bridge into Samut Prakan and the roads are first rate, some of Bangkoks are in a terrible state and falling apart.

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The MRT system has been an incredible success and with the congestion in Bangkok the monorails make perfect sense. If you look at an alternative to them, just look at the construction going on in Samut Sakorn, how long has it been? 15 years already and another 10 to 15 years to go? 

The MRT is at bursting point and unless a solution is found soon for the overcrowding there is going to be a catastrophe in my opinion.