Supreme Court dismisses Yingluck in abuse of power case

snoop1130

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You are supporting a lack of faith in the justice system.....she was found guilty by the way!

Sure, she was sentenced in absence. What a shame!!!

Why other criminals are not sentecend in absence like the RED BULL heir? :1zgarz5:

• Love It 2

1 hour ago, snowgard said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Fraudulent rice pledging scheme for which she was convicted.  No ne here has to show the evidence for that.  

All that is is the court deciding that she doesn't have to pay the partial compensation order that was originally imposed, it is not overturning her conviction and jail sentence for the abuse of power.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did his scheme cost the country B500bn and was it fraudulent like Yingluck's?

Just curious how you came out with 500B loss. Did you read the final audit statement by the Office of the Auditor General or just a convenient number that everyone ape. 

I didn't calculate that figure, nor did I read the AG's report, I quoted what was reported about the case.  Perhaps you can provide the correct figure and, if you read the Auditor's report, debunk the commonly quoted B500bn figure if all those reports are inaccurate?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not like that at all.

The charges she was found guilty of were NOT instigated by the generals, they were laid and proven by Thailand's mainstream legal process 

An army-backed court can give you any result you need.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asi

https://www.dw.com/en/analysts-say-verdict-in-yingluck-case-a-foregone-conclusion/a-18450204a-41410047

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't calculate that figure, nor did I read the AG's report, I quoted what was reported about the case.  Perhaps you can provide the correct figure and, if you read the Auditor's report, debunk the commonly quoted B500bn figure if all those reports are inaccurate?

That’s exactly what I meant. No I haven’t read the final audit nor seen one after the verdict. The Office of the Auditor General issued their audit in 2014 that didn’t mentioned any loss. This was before the judgement by the Supreme Court.
A fact finding committee appointed by Prayut after the verdict mentioned 250 B loss if you think that is a credible report. There are millions of tons of rice still in the warehouses which were still in the process of being sold. No final audit was completed and the audited lost is still in the realms of speculation. 

'see that Thaksinism is becoming the New Vogue'. 

Well good for those who lived in Thailand at those times that is what Thai voters wanted and generally those parties tend to win the popular vote.. It was democracy. Most times since have been harder for the low income groups, for farmers, for healthcare, for being less outward looking, for inward bound tourists,  less modern and less progressive. 

You will of course have noted what happened this year ...

Edited by peter48
  • Agree 1

Coming full circle, as we might have expected. 

Clearing the way for Yingluck's return as well. 

We can always speculate as to what the powers that be are up to. 

Over a short period, the Shinawatras are being subliminally romanced and regroomed as their viability is becoming placed for the future. 

Wonder what brought this sudden change of heart. 

59 minutes ago, peter48 said:

'see that Thaksinism is becoming the New Vogue'. 

Well good for those who lived in Thailand at those times that is what Thai voters wanted and generally those parties tend to win the popular vote.. It was democracy. Most times since have been harder for the low income groups, for farmers, for healthcare, for being less outward looking, for inward bound tourists,  less modern and less progressive. 

You will of course have noted what happened this year ...

"... t those times that is what Thai voters wanted and generally those parties tend to win the popular vote.. ..."

But let's not forget there was massive vote buying ... . 

Edited by scorecard

41 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Over a short period, the Shinawatras are being subliminally romanced and regroomed as their viability is becoming placed for the future. 

Easy, the rise of Pita and his party and their very big following especially younger voters, students, graduates and at the last election they won very big. 

So regurgitate the shins and their cronies and their nowadays alliances with the green machine. 

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Easy, the rise of Pita and his party and their very big following especially younger voters, students, graduates and at the last election they won very big. 

So regurgitate the shins and their cronies and their nowadays alliances with the green machine. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's amazing the number of posters who do not know that Yingluck was removed from office by the Constitutional Court, not a coup,

You're making a distinction without a difference.

More generally you & others here show a touching faith in the integrity & competence of the Constitutional Court and the Thai judicial system generally. As the Supreme Court's decision a couple of days ago suggests, judicial decisions here change according to political circumstances not according to the law.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2023 at 6:56 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know the details of the Thai laws

That's obvious.More to the point, you seem to be a patsy swallowing the lie propagated time and time again that any politician challenging the unelected elites who run Thailand must be guilty of some "crime" - anything will do - blocking their advance (and the aspirations of the Thai people).

In this instance the wheel has turned and it suits the gangsters (oligarchs,generals, feudalists etc) in charge to rehabilitate Yingluck. Whether their strategy will work is anybody's guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All that is is the court deciding that she doesn't have to pay the partial compensation order that was originally imposed, it is not overturning her conviction and jail sentence for the abuse of power.

For a conviction in absence. The first I ever saw in thailand!!! All murders, robbers, thiefes, .... are convicted after they been catched and brought to court. Some first after 10-15 years.
But the Thaksin family were brought to court from the junta in absence without a real chance  for defending theirself.

This says all!!!

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2023 at 11:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, she was not.  She was removed from office by the Constitutional Court for abuse of power, she was not PM at the time of the coup.

On 7th May 2014 she and 9 others were removed from office for the "crime" that has now been nullified. 2 weeks after the Constitutional Court's verdict, on 22nd May, the military took over.

I was in Bangkok that night with my daughter, who was due to fly back to the UK that evening. It was like somehing out of "The Year of Living Dangerously". Soldiers everywhere. There was a rumour that taxis weren't being allowed back into Bangkok from the airport. But I got her into one, and she made it to the airport. Martial law had already been declared. This is the country we are all living in.

Edited by bradiston
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snowgard said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

For a conviction in absence. The first I ever saw in thailand!!! All murders, robbers, thiefes, .... are convicted after they been catched and brought to court.

Trials in absentia are permitted for political figures under Thai law.

16 hours ago, mfd101 said:
On 12/27/2023 at 11:40 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

It's amazing the number of posters who do not know that Yingluck was removed from office by the Constitutional Court, not a coup,

You're making a distinction without a difference.

No, I'm making an accurate statement.   She was removed from office for abuse of power by the Constitutional Court.  She was not removed from office by a coup.   Those who ignorantly claim that she was removed by a coup that happened after her removal by the court are jus wrong.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, bradiston said:

On 7th May 2014 she and 9 others were removed from office for the "crime" that has now been nullified. 2 weeks after the Constitutional Court's verdict, on 22nd May, the military took over.

I was in Bangkok that night with my daughter, who was due to fly back to the UK that evening. It was like somehing out of "The Year of Living Dangerously". Soldiers everywhere. There was a rumour that taxis weren't being allowed back into Bangkok from the airport. But I got her into one, and she made it to the airport. Martial law had already been declared. This is the country we are all living in.

Here's a link to the whole story of the 2014 coup.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Thai_coup_d'état

40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I'm making an accurate statement.   She was removed from office for abuse of power by the Constitutional Court.  She was not removed from office by a coup.   Those who ignorantly claim that she was removed by a coup that happened after her removal by the court are jus wrong.

And the then members of the Constitutional Court were blissfully ignorant that a coup was about to happen to overthrow this appalling Thaksin regime that threatened law and order in the kingdom?

5 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

And the then members of the Constitutional Court were blissfully ignorant that a coup was about to happen to overthrow this appalling Thaksin regime that threatened law and order in the kingdom?

You could I'm sure make a case saying the Court's decision paved the way for the coup, but Lou is correct in his statements about Nong Poo's removal from office. O'chacha was obviously keen to frame the coup as a legitimate assumption of power in a chaotic situation. Nobody was fooled. Not then, not now, never!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

You could I'm sure make a case saying the Court's decision paved the way for the coup, but Lou is correct in his statements about Nong Poo's removal from office. O'chacha was obviously keen to frame the coup as a legitimate assumption of power in a chaotic situation. Nobody was fooled. Not then, not now, never!

Right. I rest my case.

18 hours ago, snowgard said:

For a conviction in absence. The first I ever saw in thailand!!! All murders, robbers, thiefes, .... are convicted after they been catched and brought to court. Some first after 10-15 years.
But the Thaksin family were brought to court from the junta in absence without a real chance  for defending theirself.

This says all!!!

That's not quite true, they were given a chance to respond but both close to flee.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 5:44 PM, zzaa09 said:

Well of course there is a much more " internationally orientated figure" hovering just over the horizon, and popping in from time to time to buy a bowl of noodles!

It may just be felt appropriate to mend a few fences with international opinion, in the long term as it were...

Edited by herfiehandbag