Danish man on trial for theft in Bangkok Airport

webfact

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

From the link:

Briefly, he was by mistake in the wrong airport. He also was sick with an upset stomach. The first thing he did when his taxi reached the airport was to visit a toilet. When he emerged from that, he saw the black handbag on the floor and thought he should help return it to the owner. He picked up the bag. Then his stomach movements forced him to quickly retreat into a handicap toilet with his suitcase and his backpack – and the handbag. In the toilet, his backpack opened and spilled all the content out on the floor. After his business in the toilet he scraped everything back into the backpack – including the black bag – and realizing he was in the wrong airport, he hurried out to catch a taxi to go to Don Mueang airport. Completely forgetting that he also had the handbag he had found and its content in his backpack.

Nice try... 

I don't think I could invent a worse story 

The story is so far out and so bizarre that one is almost led to believe that it might be true. The only part that is not believable is that he didn't surrender the bag at the first airport, before leaving. That was a real mistake, and it is unlikely somebody in that position would continue to hold on to the bag.

The second question that comes to mind is how was he caught? The police are not usually that effective. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I think they do stings where they leave things in the bathroom. If you take it, even to return it, they grab you.

Often they will even ask if it's yours, etc. Never get involved with luggage or other people's stuff in transit centers, buses, airplanes, trains, etc. It's not your problem. It's better to not engage with people at all in transit as they are not people you are ever going to see again anyway.

I saw an unattended case at Heathrow Airport, kept an eye on it then pointed it out to a security man he said to me it will belong to someone over there pointing to some people sitting at the other side of the passageway.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Yeah, and why would someone ask if something is yours in a transit center?

If they were concerned they would take it in themselves, not ask random strangers about it in the hopes of getting that one guy out of thousands who may have left it there.

I found a set of keys on the pavement in Pattaya, probably from one of the parked motorbikes. I picked them up, handed them to a nearby vendor and asked her to watch for anyone looking for them. What would have happened if a policeman saw me pick up these keys before I handed them to the vendor?

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I found a set of keys on the pavement in Pattaya, probably from one of the parked motorbikes. I picked them up, handed them to a nearby vendor and asked her to watch for anyone looking for them. What would have happened if a policeman saw me pick up these keys before I handed them to the vendor?

Why would you be putting the problem onto the vendor? Someone could later misinterpret the vendor having the keys. Proper course of action is to inform the police without handling the item.

Same thing as in the airport. When you handle something you assume responsibility for it for a certain period of time when you have possession.

Edited by JimTripper

57 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why would you be putting the problem onto the vendor? Someone could later misinterpret the vendor having the keys. Proper course of action is to inform the police without handling the item.

Same thing as in the airport. When you handle something you assume responsibility for it for a certain period of time when you have possession.

I just think that what I did at the time was the best way as the person obviously had a motorbike parked nearby and he/she would come looking for it. Handing it in to the police station which is away down in Beach road would mean the person would not have access to the motorbike and probably would not go there as most motorbike owners would have a spare key at home.

8 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

A thief is a thief, and being a thief in a foreign country does not make the situation any better.

Jail time for this thief, maybe lesson learned.

Swedish authorities never caught up with me in the 1960s as I hitchhiked across Sweden stealing apples from trees in front yards everywhere.

On 12/28/2023 at 8:41 AM, Jing Joe said:

Regardless, a discarded wallet would be a pretty sure sign its been emptied of cash like the near miss with the  p.p. as AbouThiam shared with us about his g.f. , but then how about the many heart warming posts where several Thai taxi drivers have actively sought out their last passengers to return their dropped cash in the taxi? Decisions decisions. :wacko:

Honest taxi drivers, at the airport, a rare thing indeed.