So where do the Mountains of A4 Paper... go for Extensions of Stays (ie Equivalent to 2.5 Empire State buildings annually!)

Good question, i too was wondering the same seeing those piles and piles of documents at CW the other day, funny enough, they had an issue with this year's Non-0 renewal so they went to pulled out last year's one, so go figure...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Good question, i too was wondering the same seeing those piles and piles of documents at CW the other day, funny enough, they had an issue with this year's Non-0 renewal so they went to pulled out last year's one, so go figure...

Had the same happen in June - only took few minutes to find.  At the original Bangkok location they had current month in piles along the walls for easy access.  Don't know how long they were kept but older forms were often found being used by venders as food wrappers 25 years ago.

27 minutes ago, Vaio62 said:
  • A single A4 paper is 0.0193 cubic meters (0.02 m x 0.297 m x 0.0007 m).
  • Therefore, 50,000,000 A4 papers would have a volume of 965,000 cubic meters (50,000,000 x 0.0193).

Your math totally sucks. Or you just have invented the narrow A4. Maybe Immigration wants us to submit our application on telex reels as of Jan 1?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Every night when they close all the immigration officers have a bonfire party out back where they burn all the paper forms , drink lao khao and count the $$ given in brown envelopes.  How many copies of your passport pages along with all the other forms do they really need to determine that you are you?

Most governments around the world just love paper forms...fortunately many are turning to digital rather than paper so the trees thank them for that.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, stoner said:

for real ? why not also ask.

are we alone in the universe ? 

who killed jfk ? 

what is the meaning of life ? 

elvis has left the building........

What if Superman had worked for the Germans🤔

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

All that paper must end up in the same place as dead rats  and dead pigeons,   it is indeed one of life's great mysteries, 

Although it might explain why my local immigration have moved to a much larger brand new office two stories high with no obvious increase in staffing   They have also taken up residence in a recently constructed huge multi discipline  administration center not 50 km away from the original site!  God only knows

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

All that paper must end up in the same place as dead rats  and dead pigeons,   it is indeed one of life's great mysteries, 

Although it might explain why my local immigration have moved to a much larger brand new office two stories high with no obvious increase in staffing   They have also taken up residence in a recently constructed huge multi discipline  administration center not 50 km away from the original site!  God only knows

I know them well. Still as gracious and welcoming as always.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Your math totally sucks. Or you just have invented the narrow A4. Maybe Immigration wants us to submit our application on telex reels as of Jan 1?

READ the post eh, ChatGPT failed, thats Bards Maths which you say Totally sucks....

BTW I aint disagreeing just saying....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Ps Your reading really totally sucks, re-read the units: that's M for Meters in English, once again not me BARD, Google "Google Bard" OK 5555

But yeh your really narrow A4 sounds a great Invention !!!! 

5 hours ago, stoner said:

for real ? why not also ask.

are we alone in the universe ? 

who killed jfk ? 

what is the meaning of life ? 

elvis has left the building........

Yeh for REAL, why bother replying at all if you're not interested...

I'm cough cough maybe "Asking for a friend" for a potential future legal case....

42 minutes ago, Vaio62 said:

Ps Your reading really totally sucks, re-read the units: that's M for Meters in English, once again not me BARD, Google "Google Bard" OK 5555

But yeh your really narrow A4 sounds a great Invention !!!! 

So according to you, "A single A4 paper is 0.0193 cubic meters (0.02 m x 0.297 m x 0.0007 m).", an A4 is two centimetres wide. You wrote two hundredths of a metre, hence two centimetres. 

Also, I doubt you print on paper that's nearly one millimetre think. The only thing you got right is the length.

Edited by Ben Zioner

7 hours ago, Vaio62 said:

Morning

Just thinking about my 2 x 1cm x A4 paper sheets I submitted at Immigration for the past 20 years.

Where does it all go? Surely they cant store it for more than 1 year, or what is the Thai law for Thai storing documents, 7 years in UK I believe.

IF there's approx. 1 million expats (just a stab in the dark), 50 sheets of A4 per Extension, double it for some Visas that need BKK checking...

I've asked ChatGPT but even he/she is confused re the volume in Square Meters...

(PS I'm assuming 1,000,000 Expats living here in LOS)

Do they Scan the docs nowadays, or store in a warehouse the size of ChangWattana ?

Google's Bard was better at it :

Let's compare the volume of 50,000,000 A4 papers to the Empire State Building:

50,000,000 A4 papers:

• A single A4 paper is 0.0193 cubic meters (0.02 m x 0.297 m x 0.0007 m).
  • Therefore, 50,000,000 A4 papers would have a volume of 965,000 cubic meters (50,000,000 x 0.0193).

Empire State Building:

• The Empire State Building has a total volume of approximately 386,100 cubic meters.

Comparison:

• 50,000,000 A4 papers would have a volume more than 2.5 times that of the Empire State Building!
  •  
Image of Empire State Building

favicon-tbn?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGo2ldWXblVJVy9aen.wikipedia.org
Empire State Building

Here's a visualization to help you imagine the scale:

• Stack 50,000,000 A4 papers on top of each other, and you'd create a pile nearly 61,000 kilometers high, reaching beyond the orbit of the International Space Station (which is about 400 kilometers above Earth).
  • If you spread these papers out evenly across the entire surface of the Earth (510.1 million square kilometers), you'd cover it with a layer of paper about 0.1 meter thick.

So, to answer your question, 50,000,000 A4 papers would be a truly immense amount of paper, dwarfing the size of the Empire State Building in terms of volume.

I hope this helps!

Bored are you?

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

So has ours up in Sakon Nakhon. In the old, very crammed building a visit to the loo meant walking through a veritable canyon of paper, all stacked up in boxes up to head height on both sides. Gawd knows how many years of applications were stacked up in there.

It's one of the reasons I never bother taking new photos of us around the house each year. They would never be able to find last year's to be able to compare.

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It's one of the reasons I never bother taking new photos of us around the house each year. They would never be able to find last year's to be able to compare.

Perhaps - perhaps not.  Here in Bangkok it took less than 15 minutes to obtain last years paperwork.

9 hours ago, Vaio62 said:

A single A4 paper is 0.0193 cubic meters (0.02 m x 0.297 m x 0.0007 m).

All that thinking and typing and you still got the width of the paper, the thickness of the paper, and simple multiplication wrong.

It should be 0.0000044 cubic meters (0.21m x 0.297m x 0.00007m).  So you mistakenly calculated more than 4000 times the actual value.  

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

(1) Used for note paper (2) used for all other relevant activities (3) handed - on back - with notes for other falangs to use & be amused by.

Sadly (3) I've actually observed, I think it was the half A4 overstay disclaimer you're forced to sign - on the flip side was someone's passport, shocking disregard for data privacy

Edited by eyeman
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1