Is this the future for EV cars?

kwak250

On 1/5/2024 at 11:44 AM, JBChiangRai said:

All cities have fast DC chargers, there are 3 fast DC chargers in MHS, most hotels now have Level 2 charging stations and if not you can plug in at your hotel with your granny charger, it's not difficult.

Don't need no stinkin' oil ..

... Y'all can save It for something else, maybe plastic bags, and save the trees :cheesy: 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

On 1/5/2024 at 11:46 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Oh! and you know this how? a facebook silly video of 2 old men laughing?

There's very little queuing in Thailand for chargers, and you can book them in advance so there is no queueing.

As for Fires ,give me an ICE Any day compered to the EV Fires.

Check the statistics, a vehicle with an ICE is between 14 and 120 times more likely to catch fire than an EV.

Don't have  to wait at the servo station for Fuel and don't have to Plan ahead and booking for a chance to get Fuel and wasting time for charging a EV.

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, digger70 said:

Don't have  to wait at the servo station for Fuel and don't have to Plan ahead and booking for a chance to get Fuel and wasting time for charging a EV.

Fossil thinking. 

Do you know exactly how much fuel is in your vehicle right now? Of course you don’t, but I do. Do you have an app on your phone to check? Of course you don’t, but I do. 

You only know how much fuel you have when you actually start it up and get a slap from your wife when she sees it’s empty - again! 

“I told you to fill it up and that I had an appointment this morning. Now we are going to be late” You are probably thinking that you might be able to fill up on the way home, but that’s what you thought yesterday and you forgot - again. Now who’s going to have range anxiety on a local trip!

I always leave the house with 600km of range. I put it on charge when I get back home and get a notification on my watch when it’s done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

@Lacessit  Why is it that in an argument about EVs between an EV driver and a Fossil Driver, the Fossil Driver's arguments always fall flat and he attempts to pass off opinions as fact and finally resorts to bad taste humor? 

The EV driver having lived with both types of vehicle knows the real strengths and weaknesses of both. The Fossil Driver on the other hand is 50% ignorant

Why is it all EV drivers need a humor transplant?

Answer: Like most religions, the EV cult hates being mocked.

Check out your electric Jesus, Elon Musk. Same sense of humor as a scorpion.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why is it all EV drivers need a humor transplant?

Answer: Like most religions, the EV cult hates being mocked.

Check out your electric Jesus, Elon Musk. Same sense of humor as a scorpion.

Personally, I'd rather spend time with most scorpions than Mr Musk, but from what I've seen he makes a pretty solid car.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Geez you're a wag...

You've whinned on a fair bit about the evils of ev's, spouting numbers where you claim that there isn't enough lithium to make enough batteries to replace all the ice vehicles blah bah.

In air quality terms it would be great for everyone to wake in the morning to world with no ice, but that ignores production costs, pollution from production and charging infrastructure as starting points.

It makes more sense to upgrade to an ev when you are disposing of your ice vehicle, either because its junked or sold into the second hand market.

This means that charging infrastructure can roll out more efficiently for eg.

Surely even a hater like you can see that ?

I am not an EV hater. They have considerable advantages in some aspects of operation, such as running cost, acceleration, and reduction of air pollution in cities. I have repeatedly said so.

Because I also post information on some of the EV downsides, I am an infidel to EV worshippers.

Spout some numbers of your own to disprove my claim only 20% ( at best ) of ICE's can be replaced by EV's, with current lithium reserves being mined. Please don't go with extracting lithium from seawater, that is thermodynamic bullsh!t. We would have done it decades ago with gold if it was technically/economically feasible.

16 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Personally, I'd rather spend time with most scorpions than Mr Musk, but from what I've seen he makes a pretty solid car.

Please keep up to date, Tesla's have all kinds of quality problems. The Cybertruck is a stainless steel disaster.

22 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Maybe you should look closer

Tesla recalls over 1.6 million faulty vehicles in China

https://daoinsights.com/news/tesla-recalls-china-vehicles/

Here's the list of all its recalls so far

Tesla’s Model Y: America’s most recalled vehicle of the past decade

https://qz.com/tesla-car-recalls-china-model-y-accidents-autopilot-1851144035

Edited by BenStark

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Sadly, from experience, owning and with ICEV only, yea, I've been that stupid, and ran out of petrol.   In my younger days, from simply not realizing/noticing and or forgetting to get petrol, to, sadly, 'oh hell, I cam make it' ... oops, F'me :cheesy:

Pretty sure that will never happen with the EV, as the car gives you way too many warnings @ 30%, 20% both visual and audio.   And there is always (in our travels) a CS within the next 10%, aside from having an emergency granny cable with us, if ever being that stupid.   

Nice try though ... await your next silly meme ...

On meme s ... this one is too funny, whether EV fan or hater ...

image.png.4a4f3362a3f578fe6cc72641d9821b6b.png

What do you do when your system informs you there is only 20 km of charge left in your battery, and you have 40 km to go? Call a tow-truck?

I can see a market for mobile generators, such as the diesel one which accompanied a Polestar across the Nullabor plain.

Personally, I have never run out of fuel. I'm a fussbudget that fills up when I get to one-quarter full.

1 minute ago, HighPriority said:

You didnt read the bit you quoted about multiple warnings on charge level ?

There are multiple warnings on Thai roads about wearing helmets, not burning off, not using mobile phones when driving. I'd say the majority of people ignore them.

I'd agree most EV drivers should be more sensible, but you can never be sure.

They seem to get a bit silly when confronted with unpalatable facts.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are multiple warnings on Thai roads about wearing helmets, not burning off, not using mobile phones when driving. I'd say the majority of people ignore them.

I'd agree most EV drivers should be more sensible, but you can never be sure.

They seem to get a bit silly when confronted with unpalatable facts.

but they would be the same types who would ignore an ice fuel gauge.

So what is your point apart from some vague outrage that someone drives a differently powered car than you who refuses to try the different tech yourself.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

but they would be the same types who would ignore an ice fuel gauge.

So what is your point apart from some vague outrage that someone drives a differently powered car than you who refuses to try the different tech yourself.

I am not outraged by the fact someone drives any vehicle better than mine, which is probably most cars on the road.

I do get annoyed with people who refuse to acknowledge basic facts about the relative merits of the different techs. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, but when I mention a weakness, it's like I have farted in church.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Fossil thinking. 

Do you know exactly how much fuel is in your vehicle right now? Of course you don’t, but I do. Do you have an app on your phone to check? Of course you don’t, but I do. 

You only know how much fuel you have when you actually start it up and get a slap from your wife when she sees it’s empty - again! 

“I told you to fill it up and that I had an appointment this morning. Now we are going to be late” You are probably thinking that you might be able to fill up on the way home, but that’s what you thought yesterday and you forgot - again. Now who’s going to have range anxiety on a local trip!

I always leave the house with 600km of range. I put it on charge when I get back home and get a notification on my watch when it’s done.

I  know exactly how much Fuel is in my car when I am driving and when I get home and Park my car , your statement is just clutching at straws what a Laugh

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Your scenario is not applicable to anyone with a brain.   And if my ICEVs of the past, told me how much further I could go, I probably would have never guessed & ran out of petrol.  And ~10% will get me 40 kms if needed.  Not that I would ever purposely go below 20%, which is 60 kms at highway speeds for us.

Of course there's obviously the exception to that thinking, when you consider some folks who obviously come off as fairly intelligent, are still buying ICEVs ... :cheesy:

Some folks are doing the math, and concluding the extra cost of an EV does not warrant the risk.

The cheapest EV in Thailand is the Neta, at 549K baht. The Mitsubishi Attrage is 529 K, so they are comparable. Other EV's are considerably more expensive

What is not known is the after-sales service and resale price of a Neta 5 years down the track. OTOH, Mitsubishi make good if somewhat under-rated vehicles. The brand is a known quantity.

3 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Your car and the ev's do that sure but Lacessit's car obviously doesn't.

When I get in my car and switch on the ignition, the fuel gauge tells me how much there is in the tank.

What time did you start on the booze this morning?

• Sad 1

On 12/31/2023 at 11:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I wait for the time when people look back and point at EVs and say: How did the people at that time think that could be a big scale solution?

P.S.: I think there are some usages of EVs which make sense. Some. But they are definitely no large-scale replacement compared to combustion engines. 

IMO EVs are ideal for cities with charging points readily available. For every other application IMO they are <deleted>.

I wonder how many they sell in the Aussie outback, or in Alaska.

• Confused 3

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

When I get in my car and switch on the ignition, the fuel gauge tells me how much there is in the tank.

What time did you start on the booze this morning?

Modern cars of which you don't have, in addition to the fuel gauge have a readout of your range in kms.

It constantly recalibrates itself based on your recent driving experience, obviously there must have been range anxiety amongst the intellectual ice drivers out there...

And regardless of gauges and warnings of fuel reserves, the driver still needs to observe and heed them.

Will the tesla auto pilot commandeer the car to take itself to a chargepoint when low, do we have a tesla pilot here ?

:cheesy:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Modern cars of which you don't have, in addition to the fuel gauge have a readout of your range in kms.

It constantly recalibrates itself based on your recent driving experience, obviously there must have been range anxiety amongst the intellectual ice drivers out there...

And regardless of gauges and warnings of fuel reserves, the driver still needs to observe and heed them.

Will the tesla auto pilot commandeer the car to take itself to a chargepoint when low, do we have a tesla pilot here ?

:cheesy:

I sometimes think we are getting too clever by half.

Back in the day, I could do all my own vehicle maintenance. Oil changes, timing, wheel bearings, brake linings, universal couplings - all I needed were common tools, parts, and a workshop manual.

Nowadays, every brand has special tools and computers with proprietary software. It is virtually impossible for an owner to do their own maintenance.

Is there even going to be an independent mechanic capable of servicing an EV, or will owners of a brand be hostage to whatever the service department decides it will charge?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Some folks are doing the math, and concluding the extra cost of an EV does not warrant the risk.

The cheapest EV in Thailand is the Neta, at 549K baht. The Mitsubishi Attrage is 529 K, so they are comparable. Other EV's are considerably more expensive

What is not known is the after-sales service and resale price of a Neta 5 years down the track. OTOH, Mitsubishi make good if somewhat under-rated vehicles. The brand is a known quantity.

That would be the ignorant folks who think buying a 'new' EV, would actually present a risk, more so than an ICEV.   A very false narrative.

The Neta V is 499k now, and quite the bargain.   Pretty sure (though haven't test driven), I'd take Neta V over any Legacy entry level ICE, including the Attrage w/1.2L engine (very sad).   Strictly for operating & maintenance cost savings alone.  Even styling & looks wise, I like it better.

Should provide a better ride, especially on TH's bumpy roads.  Neta V having double wishbone & multi link suspension vs struts & tension beam.  Geez ... come into the 21st Century already.  14" tyres...seriously.   Neta has 17" / 215/55

In the future, you should actually realize what things you are actually comparing.  At least you didn't state a Celerio would be better & a cheaper 'value'.

5 yrs down the road, what will entry level ICEVs be worth ... that is also going to be a question mark, as who would want one in TH ?

Along with better performance: image.png.ae5ec160fd737a76f66c032f04bf3374.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 2