Thais and Chinese to travel visa-free, starting March 1

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, kinyara said:

There wasn't a significant increase in Chinese tourism the first 2 months after introducing the more favourable visa conditions, I think the jury is most definately out on the success of this policy.

Just because there is no increase in tourists, it should not preclude Chinese and Thai visa-free travel.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I speak fluent Chinese.

But, I think this new ruling might still not apply to me.

I am also classified as a   Friend of China....by the way.

Which dialect is your forte?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greeneking said:

Yes, so why were the regulations so important before?  Keeping the hordes from invading the paradise that is Thailand.  Thailand for the Thais and everyone else leave some money and leave because you do not belong here.

But what could one do? Desperate people, rejected by their own societies and possibly women from their own cultures, had to travel 10,000 miles to live like refugees (year-to-year permissions) and possibly get a wife for a decent life that they could not get in their homelands. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Screenshot-2023-08-29-173338.png

Starting from March 1, Thais and Chinese traveling to each country will no longer need a visa, as part of the latest agreement between both governments, said Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin today.

“The new privilege marks an upgrading to the mutual relationship,” Srettha said. Authorities concerned will be informed to prepare for the new regulations to facilitate travel, he said.

Previously, Thailand waived the tourist visa requirement for Chinese tourists as part of efforts to boost tourism to Thailand among Chinese visitors. However, this privilege is set to end after February.

Srettha told reporters that the waiver will replace the near-end rules for Chinese people. “This reflects the importance of the Thai passport on the international stage,” he said.

He referred to earlier reports that China has granted temporary visas to five countries, excluding Thailand.

“We had been criticised for not being important to China. However, during that time, we had discussions with China to waive visas for Thai passport holders. Today, we have good news about the permanent visa waiver, not just temporarily.’

Caption: File photo: Thai PM Srettha Thavisin

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

It would make sense if the Chinese were allowed to cleared Thai Immigration in China thereby reducing the strain on Thai Airports and possibly giving them more Thai airports to arrive at.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

But what could one do? Desperate people, rejected by their own societies and possibly women from their own cultures, had to travel 10,000 miles to live like refugees (year-to-year permissions) and possibly get a wife for a decent life that they could not get in their homelands. 

I was also "desperate" for the lower cost of living & better weather.................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This change has been announced as being "Permanent" which is significant.

Most other recent "modifications" (Russia, Khazakstan, etc.) were/are temporary.

A govt spokesman told media a few more details of this mutual visa-waiver program for Chinese and Thai travelers: 30 days of visa free travel, but multiple entires within 180 days (or 6 months) musn't exceed 90 days in total and an agreement will be finalized in late Feb.

No word on extensions, yet.

19 minutes ago, Derek B said:

It would make sense if the Chinese were allowed to cleared Thai Immigration in China thereby reducing the strain on Thai Airports and possibly giving them more Thai airports to arrive at.

Great suggestion...

16 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I wouldn't expect a huge influx.  

The economy in China is not doing well at all and a simple reduction in red tape does little to help the underlying problem.  Chinese are not travelling like they used to and there isn't a catalyst for them to start anytime soon.  

Correct, even Xi, admits the economy in Chins is not doing well!

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Just because there is no increase in tourists, it should not preclude Chinese and Thai visa-free travel.

It shouldn't preclude it, however it was the stated aim of the policy change to stimulate tourist numbers so it's not unreasonable to judge its success against that goal. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Wow, it sounds bad, I remember asking many Chinese uni students if they knew who 'tank man' was and none of them had ever heard of or seen his iconic photo.

That's shocking. 

3 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

By the way, did you ever ask yourself why is is called Covid 19? Simple, there were 18 Covids that came before. Hong Kong flu, bird flu, swi

Uh .. no. It is an abbreviation of 2019 novel coronavirus. It was first identified in late 2019 in China.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Macau was always visa-free for the US and Thais.

Currently, citizens of 79 countries and regions, including Australia and New Zealand enjoy visa-free entry into Macao SAR.

17 hours ago, Schnicnac said:

Or if you are French, Italian, Spanish, German, Malaysian you can also now go to China visa free

the post is Thais and Chinese to travel visa-free, starting March 1

Edited by Mavideol

20 hours ago, JemJem said:

It doesn't say how many days of visa exempt the Chinese will get. I wonder if they will get 90 days like the Russians, or 30 days like most nationalities.

By the way, there has been no development regarding the increasing of the visa exempt period from 30 days to 60 days for European and Middle Eastern nationalities. Well, we are already halfway into the peak tourism season, so, I am afraid this will most probably happen sometime near the end of this year. 

have been reading here and the original post and none said anything about the period length of stay, my neighbor is German married to a Chinese lady, they have a kid with Chinese nationality, the kid goes to school here and has a EV with the new visa waiver does that mean the kid no longer needs a EV visa or this is just for travelers as you indicated 30-60-90 days stay

10 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

You forgot to add that middle class Chinese with money are prefering to visit places where there's a 1,000 times more culture and things to see other than Thailand's basic offering of temples and girlie bars, plus some nice beaches..

nice beaches? 

Thailand sucking the last Yuan they can out of the China economy as fast as they can. Hahaha. Keep up the good work Xi, that guy has turned China from a powerhouse in manufacturing to a laughing stock in the west.   Enjoy your ride Thailand.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Agree 1