Thai woman challenges traditional roles with refusal to iron husband’s clothes

webfact

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nothing to do with thinking we are right.

To do with buying a service.

OK. Getting married is buying a service or services.

Right, I just realised it.

(does this system work in the West? I am sure it works perfectly)

Edited by ravip
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I know the value of a woman ........ and it's 500-1500bht (depending on shape and age).

I was not referring to the Bar areas

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Gaccha said:

In modern times, you can rip up the rulebook if you want, but this possibly creates tension in the relationship. Since it means that every single issue becomes a point of contention. Who should do this who should do that...

She is not disputing with her husband in this, she is disputing with the wisdom of her mother-in-law. Could it be that her mother-in-law grasps the bigger issues... 

Modern society which lacks the firm rules of past generations, uses a mechanism of fake choice. It pretends to offer up the choice, but then you must accept only the socially successful option. The most famous example is paying for the woman on a date; on paper; this is a choice for the man to make. In practise, he must pay. His failure to pay is a signal of his failure to understand the rules of the game. His date then decides if this is acceptable.

The importance of this can be seen in the story of the child and the naked King. The lesson from that story is not that the crowd is foolish in not noticing the King is naked, but rather the child is foolish for not understanding the importance of not pointing out that the emperor is naked. They are, fortunately, just a child. The woman who refuses to iron is an adult.

Similarly, parents tell their middle class children that they can choose to go or not to go to university. In practise, the children are obliged to go to university. Those who don't pick up on these social signals, such as the woman here, suffer. These are related to what are known as "luxury beliefs".

The ultimate example is marriage. Society says women have a choice. But it is clearly a false choice. Elite women marry at very high levels even today. Only the women who don't grasp that the choice is false, choose not to marry. In other words it is a luxury belief perpetuated by the elite, but which damages the lives of women in the lower classes.

Society nowadays instead of telling you what to do, invites you to make the right decision. Your ability to flourish in that specific society with those specific rules will depend on that. 

Now that's copy pasta right there

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm betting there are plenty of other Thai women that will iron his clothes.

I got to see that.

Unless they are over-50s.

The women that is.

Let's start at the beginning... How much was the simsod... Then we can conduct a rudimentary cost benefit analysis of the situation. 

Though I don't see a situation where long term leasing beats short term rentals. 

• Haha 2