In Total 7,864 Drunk Driving Cases Reported in Seven Days of Thailand New Year Road Safety Campaign

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Department of Probation reported in total 7,864 cases of drunk driving in Thailand in seven days (December 29th, 2023 – January 4th, 2024) of the New Year Seven Days Road Safety campaign.

The number of the drunk driving cases are 97.06 percent of other cases in the probation campaign, being the overwhelming majority of cases.

The top three provinces with the highest number of drunk-driving cases in seven days are ฺBangkok with 469 cases, followed by Nakhon Phanom with 351 cases, and Nong Khai with 328 cases.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-01-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

just think how many got away with DUI , and the punishment for those caught , no mention .

regards worgeordie

The fines will be put to good use... 

around 1100 drunk drivers arrested each day of the 7 day period throughout Thailand which is approx 15 per day per province   In my small village I can assure that more than 15 persons were guilty of drunk driving per day, including on some days 2 policemen (and possibly many more that I did not see)!!!!!!!

So will prisons countrywide increase their number of guests by some 7,864 for drink driving? :cheesy:,   What a stupid question!

The Police are incapable of carrying out their job!  Perhaps bring in the army at times like these  (they really don't have much more to do!)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tonypattaya said:

Most accidents are caused by sober drivers. lol

Thats as maybe, but invariably involve someone driving drunk  (80+%) mtorcyclists who drive without a care in the world whether drunk or sober most of the time

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Typically the police will accept 20 or 30,000 baht in order to make a drunk driving offense disappear, so who knows what the real total was?

So now it's getting interesting....Do you have personal experience or is it just blowing in the wind from heresy????😳

49 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Typically the police will accept 20 or 30,000 baht in order to make a drunk driving offense disappear, so who knows what the real total was?

Also the highway patrol absolutely refuses to patrol the highways, so they didn't catch anybody driving drunk, they just caught people at roadblocks which often times are quite easy to avoid. 

The Highway patrol does not patrol  the highway  kind of like the traffic police does not police the traffic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will definitely endorse the financial penalty as stated by Spidermike. Happened to two close contacts over three year period including the phone number of girlfriend who was with one at the time and he phoned number given to ensure it was correct.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Tip of the Iceberg; real figure would be 3 to 4 times greater than that.

Shows up the pointlessness of restricted Alcohol sales in Supermarkets etc and the 'fuzzing out' of drinks in Movies and TV programs, ban on public advertising etc etc, all completely useless in a Nation where everyone thinks what 'they' want to do is ok and nobody and nothing else matters !    Government and so called 'Police' completely inept and their own Workforces are just as bad as the average Somchai.   Indeed; often worse, as they think they are 'special' and 'above' the ordinary Folk.

…and with guns… 🤫🙏

• Like 1

I wonder how many of these were actually drunk, or were they just over the legal limit (which is about 50% less than the UK limit). One beer here with a meal and you may be over.

In provinces with virtually no public transport system, it's not surprising that people don't care. They have no alternative transport and they certainly won't stop drinking. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

That were only the ones who were checked and not paid any money.. All the rest were allowed to drive on with greetings from the RTP. It is just unbelievable that in 7 days there were only 1.100 in 70 provinces drivers with alcohol behind the wheel ( hardly 15 a day per province).. And than we don't even count the ones with drugs.

In Total 7,864 Drunk Driving Cases Reported in Seven Days

I saw the road blocks checking cars and motorbikes for several days. But obvious check points are NOT going to catch a majority of drunk drivers. The cops should be on the road like they are in other countries, pulling people over for moving violations. If this doesn't happen, it will never get better!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, off road pat said:

In Total 7,864 Drunk Driving Cases Reported in Seven Days

yes I know that are 1.100 a day.. Thailand has 70 provinces... so what is the point??

Edited by ikke1959

10 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

So now it's getting interesting....Do you have personal experience or is it just blowing in the wind from heresy????😳

Personal experience, these are actual quotes that I've received, and I have friends who have been pulled over for DUI and given a choice to do a test or come up with 30,000 baht on the spot. This is a fact of life in Thailand, your denial changes nothing. Frankly it's a bit like denying the existence of gravity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The real question is how many continued to drive immediately  after being found to be over the limit . P0ses a question should the POLICE NOW BE liable if such a person then has an accident .

Many stopped pay money ( fine / bribe ) call it what you want and THEN continue driving. The Police must therefore be liable as they are condoning the continued breaking of the law  !!!!

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:
18 hours ago, tonypattaya said:

Most accidents are caused by sober drivers. lol

Thats as maybe, but invariably involve someone driving drunk  (80+%) mtorcyclists who drive without a care in the world whether drunk or sober most of the time

Poe's law strikes again..

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Personal experience, these are actual quotes that I've received, and I have friends who have been pulled over for DUI and given a choice to do a test or come up with 30,000 baht on the spot. This is a fact of life in Thailand, your denial changes nothing. Frankly it's a bit like denying the existence of gravity. 

Exactly as I expected: no facts,  no evidence 😂. Have a good Sunday.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Heresy = 

'opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine, especially of a church or religious system.

the maintaining of such an opinion or doctrine.'

'the orthodox or accepted doctrine,' - drunk driving is Thai orthodoxy & the norm.

Hearsay?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

A Nation with absolutely zero respect for human life.

Driving on the highway near Bangna Central, and this dude in a luxury car, sped past me at about 150 km, dodging traffic and using all 4 lanes over-taking cars. Just ******* unbelievable.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

A Nation with absolutely zero respect for human life.

Driving on the highway near Bangna Central, and this dude in a luxury car, sped past me at about 150 km, dodging traffic and using all 4 lanes over-taking cars. Just ******* unbelievable.

I hope someone like that dies 

I remember a few years ago in the country side of Australia I had rented a vehicle and was driving on a country road

A ute behind me was tailgating me so I instead of overtaking they tailgating me , I pulled over to let them pass ,one drunk guy giving me the finger 🖕as he went past.

Up ahead I saw it had overturned ,it was a country road .

I stopped hopped out to see the  guy hanging upside down.

He was looking at me , putting his hand out for help

I saw his wallet on the floor (roof) and took it , thanks I said , don't stay out here too long ,the kangaroo could eat you , remember Karma is a bitch I said to him ,he was hanging upside down in the car 

Then I drove off with his wallet 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

51 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Heresy = 

'opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine, especially of a church or religious system.

the maintaining of such an opinion or doctrine.'

'the orthodox or accepted doctrine,' - drunk driving is Thai orthodoxy & the norm.

Hearsay?

Very smart...😂. Of course hearsay, what else in this context? Thank you having switched on your brain☺️. Not common here in general 😁

• Sad 1