Suvarnabhumi Automated Passport Gates Not Available for Visa Holders with Re-Entry Permits?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Where's proof of the sign. Sounds like rubbish

Sorry, I didn't take a photo of the sign. It was propped up by the gates.

However, someone with a long term visa can report on using the automated gates.

Edited by Danderman123

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Sorry, I didn't take a photo of the sign. It was propped up by the gates.

Can you elaborate on the text of this sign?

In Thai and English? Just one sign propped up somewhere?

Isn't the re-entry permit desk, for those wishing to purchase one at the airport, AFTER departing Immigration at Suvarnabhumi? (I understand one can have a re-entry permit in hand.)

Edited by bamnutsak

41 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Isn't the re-entry permit desk, for those wishing to purchase one at the airport, AFTER departing Immigration at Suvarnabhumi?

No.  Before.  (It's after at Don Mueang.)

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Can you elaborate on the text of this sign?

In Thai and English? Just one sign propped up somewhere?

Isn't the re-entry permit desk, for those wishing to purchase one at the airport, AFTER departing Immigration at Suvarnabhumi? (I understand one can have a re-entry permit in hand.)

One sign in English, propped up at the automated gate.

I have a multiple entry permit, so the implication is that it would be cancelled if I use the automated gates.

• Agree 1

It won't be too bad for us re-entry permit holders if all the tourists with bio-metric passports are pushed towards the automated gates, but there was no one pushing tourists towards them the other day in zone 2.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

So long as you have a re-entry permit, how, when, where you left the country is largely irrelevant.

It is a bit irrelevant for people to suggest how things should work. When you enter the country IOs want to see  as much as they can and I can see that they may find someone turning up at the border with a re-entry permit and no exit stamp a bit disconcerting.

When I came in across the bridge at Nong Khai last year the IO asked if I had a visa and I said no it was a re-entry permit. He said "where your visa?", it was an e-visa and I said on my phone. He just shook his head and stamped the passport.

It could be that there has been cases of fake re-entry permits that we are unaware of, or that change can be a bit slow to be accepted.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, eyeman said:

You are thinking logically in Thai, very limiting, do not confuse this logic with the international standard for logic.  Logically, just as the scanner are able to process exemptions, by verifying the passport identifier has a correlating record of a valid exemption, it should be just as easily possible to find your current valid permission to stay as these are all recorded in the same system, the stamp is just an extra artifact of the permission issued in the system. It is neither necessary or desired for an automated system to emulate an old relic thumbing through your passport pages looking for a ink stamp when the information is recorded in a centralized system (just as exemptions).

Thailand 0.0000000004 when it comes to Immigration.

• Sad 1

On 1/7/2024 at 8:50 AM, bamnutsak said:

Can you share a photo of this sign? 

The only thing I could find is this...

410757075_773544778151500_4617544863081987980_n.jpg

How do these auto gates stamp your passport with an exit stamp next to your entry stamp? Curious to know this.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, al valio said:

Uh, I can see no official statement on the page except "Please ask Immigration Bureau". Where on TAT page did you see the info?

The official statement is silent on this issue.

The better wording was in a comment:

" Visa holders can't use those gates."

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The better wording was in a comment:

A comment from whom?

An Immigration official? Some schmoe on the interwebs? I inferred the latter when I saw that "comment".

I think we need some sort of official announcement from Pol Lt Gen Itthipol Itthisarnronnachai.

38 minutes ago, Haveasay said:

Checking baggage still slow and still fronted IO to be stamped out. Nothing changed for all the rhetoric!

With your comment "...Nothing changed...", are you saying that you tried using the automatic channel on departure from BKK and the system refused to process it and you had to join the queue for the manual passport control?

Edited by Maestro